Robot Wars

Briefcase

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I read 'O'brein' and thought, for a glorious split second, that it was Richard :(

Really good choice though. Tough to find someone who is funny, bright and innofensive to most people and I think they have managed it with the moderately less bald O'Briain.

• 5 months later...

It was on tonight. Anyone else watch ?

I loved it. Odd British blokes in sheds still building awesome fighting robots, dead eyed kids watching their dads robot get wrecked, underdog comedy robot team getting way further than it should (Nuts!), the crazy judge with grey ponytail and beard is back and of course the smug Razor team fucking up when it mattered most like always.

Carbide looks a total beast. This generations Hypno-Disc if they can keep the thing working.

This is perfect Sunday evening TV for me, glad its back.  

I enjoyed it too, a lot of reaction I've seen from friends has been positive.

I'm not convinced by the round robin format that they have for the second round, but that might change as the series goes on. They could have kept it as a single knockout after the initial four way openers, though I did enjoy Nuts being destroyed. Carbide looks like it's going to do some serious damage. I recognise a few of the other names in the competition from the entry list that was published, and some might be able to give a strong challenge to Carbide in the final. They'll take some beating though.

Also, I've been really enjoying US Battlebots on their second series since the relaunch last year. They've kept the straight one on one fights with the robots seeded and fighting off in brackets. Battlebots has fewer restrictions on weapons though, with many robots using fire and drones as part of their weaponry and a lot of interchangeable weaponry so that teams can tailor their robots to specific fights. Definitely worth checking out if you can find it online.

I still watch the old episodes on Challenge so was looking forward to this, but I came away disappointed.

The show's pacing was off, with overly long interview/profile segments between fights, not helped by a strangely monotone voiceover job by Dara.

And I don't know if I'm the only one who noticed, but the cameras weren't zoomed in as closely on the robots during battle, making them look smaller and me as the viewer feel less involved in the carnage.

Has the whole series been filmed yet, or will they have a chance to take feedback on board before completing production on the remaining episodes?

I enjoyed it, usual anti social idiots out a shed talking to a girl for first time in years. Would have picked a younger more casual host than Dara, but he didn't take away from the show

I didn't mind Dara, he seems the type that would actually have an interest in the product he's presenting and was harmless enough. I do like how they chose familiar faces, a comedy act and a new monster in the one episode, ticks all the boxes.

Just caught up with this. Agree with the dodgy editing and thought it might be a bit more modern in how its presented as you could easily mistake this as one of the older shows.

The rounds are a bit too much too, from the four way to the group stages to the final. 

But was good fun I guess. 

Archived