Wrestling's Scummiest Moment Ever?

Liam O'Rourke

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The Benoit thing was supposedly obvious to anyone who knew him. I remember watching a Mike Bucci's interview and he said he got the news when he was at Christian's house and when it came out all the family were dead they both went "well he's obvioulsy killed them." Its strange that they even went with the tribute considering the high posibility that Benoit had killed his wife and kid.

• Paid Members

I remember hearing something about his wiki page mentioning his death before it was even public knowledge.

It's been mentioned before, in fact I brought it up a few months back, but I believe there was a story in which a young man altered his wiki page before it had been announced. The police tracked down the guy, questioned him with the thought process of 'how did you know, did you have something to do with it'. It was later mentioned that he apparently edited the page without any notion anything bad had actually gone down, he was just talking shite about Nancy.

In fact, there is a wiki page about this exact situation.

https://en.m.wikinews.org/wiki/Chris_Benoit_mystery_editor_confesses:_claims_%22terrible_coincidence%22

Something I didn't realise was that the IP of the editor was found to be in Stamford Connecticut.... Fucking hell.

Yeh, I think the wiki page ended up as just very unfortunate guesswork by a troll.

As for the timeline of events for Benoit, including the email from Meltzer I mentioned on the show:

At about 5:30 EST (two and a half hours before Raw hit the air), Carl DeMarco called Benoit's mother Margeret to offer his condolences for the deaths. Except she hadn't been told the news. DeMarco ended the call, prompting the authorities to notify Margeret Benoit officially. DeMarco then called the local EMTs, as well as Scott Zerr, an Edmonton journalist that was a friend of Chris', to go to the parents' house and lend support.

WWE.com then announced the deaths of Chris, Nancy and Daniel. Within minutes, Dave Meltzer receives a call from Carl DeMarco, alerting him that the situation was a murder-suicide, and that Chris was the killer. This was two hours before Raw began.

Approximately forty minutes after the call to Meltzer, Michael Benoit, Chris' father, returns home, and is told on his driveway by Scott Zerr that Chris killed Nancy and Daniel before killing himself. Zerr adds that he was told this by the WWE.

Meltzer - "It doesn't add up to say they didn't know. I told at that time by someone (DeMarco), who got the info from one of the top people at WWE at 3:15 p.m. Pacific time. DeMarco knew full well. It wasn't said as a maybe, it was said as, this is what the company was told. They'll deny it until the end of time, but that fails to explain how I was told the explanation at 3:15"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!  First post here....I am from the US but have many friends from the UK and there's a lot from you guys that I appreciate and love. 

Anyway, I've been loving this topic on the podcast.  I probably have to wait for part two to see if I get to participate, but to re-iterate some of my picks from another board...

- Doing Business, Fabulous Moolah Style?  Or is that too backstagey? 

- I think Pepper the Dog was mentioned in passing thus far on Part 1 (I am like one hour in), but in AAA (?) wasn't there a skit some 15 years ago or so where Dr. Wagner Jr. bullies a real cat?  It was in context of his feud with Black Tiger, apparently.   I never saw it so I don't know if it was too cartoony to take seriously or the opposite, but I thought I'd put it out there.  Even fake animal cruelty can be hard to watch, in wrestling, movies, and TV alike. 

- One that has personal animosity from me...a certain indy "powerhouse" in my area (tri-state) basically bullied my friend and myself out of attending their shows.   Basically, she just so much as mentioned what could have been better on the show, and because another fan tattled on her, the "face" of said company posted an abusive public message on his Facebook accusing of her being a stalker, and encouraging his fans to attack her there and by email.  Sadly this grudge against my friend started 1-2 years ago based on lies and gossip from other people, and apparently this person also said he hoped she died/jumped off a roof on FB as well.  The same company also has an "in memoriam" section that includes promoters and wrestlers t I know disliked them at the time of their passings.  And that's just the tippy top of the scum we've met that runs indy promotions. 

- Did anyone say...Kurt Angle telling Jeff Jarrett that he wasn't the only one to lose a wife (this was when JJ's wife died of cancer) in TNA?  Also, RIP Roddy Piper, you were great, but the whole TNA/Russo/Owen Hart speech?

- WWF/E using Owen Hart's death as a template for "this is REAL" storylines....most notably Chyna at RR01 (complete with Jerry leaving commentary to check on her) and when Rock got the "smackdown on his crippled ass" in the ambulance...I believe they brought out the "show must go on" line and had wrestlers seeming distracted afterwards. Would Kanyon bumping off the top of the Ready to Rumble cage in Kemper Arena count?  Or can we chalk that up to WCW not having a clue? 

- Didn't the Freebirds make fun of Eddie Graham or some wrestler's brother/relative who died? 

- Back to the indies, we know that there are companies who trot out easy-to-fake masked former WWE superstars like Doink and the Patriot.  YMMV about how offensive that is, but one company also had a fake Golga, and kept promoting him as "original WWE oddity."  And this was years after John Tenta died! 

- More Rob Black scummage...not XPW related but he threatened to feed a Chihuahua live online to his pet snake, only to claim he was just kidding at the last minute or so when police were called.  

Welcome, pal, great first post.

The latest pod reminded me of Larry Z's response to the death of Louie Spicolli. Pretty horrible that one. You say nothing rather than that.

Oh yeah. 

Since this was technically on-air stuff, though not in the context of a wrestling show, can we also mention:

- Kathie Lee Gifford saying she didn't feel sorry about Rick Rude's death because he made her feel "uncomfortable" back in his appearance on Live! in 1989 or so?

- Craig Kilborn making Owen Hart jokes the week of his death on the Late Late Show? 

- I also think there was an ESPN report of Junkyard Dog's death, where the reporter did not take it seriously at all, and may have made a snide comment about him not following the script. 

- How about Phil Mushnick's columns?  (Though he had points about all the early deaths in wrestling, he popped up to use said tragedies as a way to get his articles across)

- Nancy Grace lumping ALL wrestling deaths into the topic of drug abuse?  Along with other misinformation ("Chris Benoit got demoted to Raw after being part of the Four Horsemen...") 

I seem to remember Chris Moyles being horrid (which is nothing new as he's a dick) when Eddie Guerrero died. I'm sure it was something along the lines of he's only a wrestler, who cares.

i

Probably get slated for this but if a NHL or NBA player with a history of drink and drug abuse which had cost him previous employments had died due to drugs and steroid abuse then what would your reaction be if you had no interest in the sport? Not a criticism but a genuine question.

Or if it was someone like Ian Rotten that died of the same reasons and someone slated him would you have the same reaction ?

• Paid Members

Welcome, pal, great first post.

The latest pod reminded me of Larry Z's response to the death of Louie Spicolli. Pretty horrible that one. You say nothing rather than that.

Oh yeah. 

Definately an odd moment, but Larry and Louie were feuding at the time. It was the perfect time to not mention it at all on Nitro.

Archived