Wrestling's Scummiest Moment Ever?

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

I always think of the whole no ring/ ring gate incident which happened on our soil in 2001 I believe.

A wrestling promoter and a few hundred fans all losing money and wasting a whole day down to petty jealousy on the UK scene.

You should listen to the Stevie Knight podcast where he talks to Steve Lynskey. They talk about the whole "Missing ring" thing. Lynskey tells his side of the story. I Know you are probably not going to believe him, but as Stevie says it sounds like 90% of the truth.

Sorry to hawk another podcast in your thread Liam.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I don't think taking your 10 year old to ECW is best advised, crucifixion or no.

Here's an interview with Gowen on the Lesnar stuff:

Doesn't sound like he was in too much danger with Brock - the world's nicest bloke as we all know, though he did get briefly KO'd from a powerbomb. Think I'm just a sick fuck cos I loved that match. It was like something you'd do on a Smackdown game on ultra easy mode when bored. Would consider it the best squash I've ever seen. Totally underlined Brock's qualities

Hadn't seen that interview. It was a great squash but in poor taste I felt and him getting tipped down the stairs...the thud he made just sounded sickening.

Would a young Brock have been protective while anhilitating him? Just after viewing recently I felt as a very young man Zach possibly did stuff he didn't necessarily understand the potential consequences of and in hindsight Brock seemed to come across as brash and self centred with some of the leaked antics at the time and I always feel he could have seriously, seriously hurt him.

• Paid Members

For me, the worst thing the WWF did during the Owen Hart situation wasn't the show going on. By far the most sickening thing was a week after the Owen Hart tribute show, WWF aired footage of all their wrestlers showing up at the funeral with a big wreath of flowers, after Martha Hart's lawyers asked them not to. They were so desperate to look like the white knights, that they completely ignored the request of the deceased to try and increase their public image. Not just that, they gave Jim Neidhart a job as a trainer to get the family onside. You dont hire the Anvil even as a window cleaner unless you have a motive behind it.

Can I say Virgil? Has anyone said Virgil yet?

Maybe not the scummiest, but potentially the most racist (eh, possibly, there is a lot...Vince saying the n-word also comes to mind). I don't know whether it's exploitation or just plain ignorance or there was a maliciousness to it that went beyond ribbing Dusty Rhodes.

As much as Virgil and Ted Dibiase were a staple of my childhood, you can look back and see that this isn't right. Obviously being 7 you don't know what racism is or the connotations of certain things... I do think certain things can be played on within wrestling. Perhaps stereotypes can be played with, but blatant racism? No. 

In the opening vignette The Million Dollar Man says he owns, yes, OWNS Virgil.  "Yessir". Dibiase bought and conned many people but Virgil was his slave and that was what was implied. I think I can just stop there.

...and I'll probably give a nod to Jesse Ventura too and his continuous JBL like hatred of Tito 'Chico' Santana 'I bet Chico wishes he was back home selling tacos in Tijuana right now...' and Akeem who was billed from 'Deepest, Darkest Africa'...

Scummy yeah, insensitive yeah, but its wrestling right? Nope.

Didn't WWE fire Dawn Marie after she fell pregnant? That always rubbed me up the wrong way. I remember Jeff Jarrett firing Jackie Gayda on an episode of Impact as a dig at WWE. If I'm not mistaken she sued them in court and won.

The Eddie Guerrero stuff is probably the worst thing they've ever done. It's not as if they even waited. They had Randy Orton try to kill The Undertaker using one of Eddie's lowriders about a week after he died. It only got worse once Rey got involved.

Maybe more misjudged than scummy but WWE showing footage of Jerry Lawler being resuscitated on Raw the week after his heart attack was footage we could have all done without seeing.

Adding to the growing tally of racism shouts - Kamala was portrayed as the Ugandan savage from a jungle who needed a handler to be controlled and was implied to be into cannabalism. After that dreadful casket match with the Undertaker he was given a new manager to try and humanise him, in what can only be described as an example of wrestling's backwards logic, this turned him babyface...

I always think of the whole no ring/ ring gate incident which happened on our soil in 2001 I believe.

A wrestling promoter and a few hundred fans all losing money and wasting a whole day down to petty jealousy on the UK scene.

You should listen to the Stevie Knight podcast where he talks to Steve Lynskey. They talk about the whole "Missing ring" thing. Lynskey tells his side of the story. I Know you are probably not going to believe him, but as Stevie says it sounds like 90% of the truth.

How do I find this?

How do I find this?

It should be difficult trying to discern from the cesspit just what the most obnoxiously tasteless thing ever to go out on WWE TV is but for me nothing comes close to that time it was insinuated that DX gang raped a girl.

You don't remember? That's cool. Most people don't.

It was in their fall of 99 turn from merry pranksters into evil scumbags. I can't remember the exact date but there was a Raw in November where the closing of the show contained a segment where DX - who had been pursuing Stephanie all evening - dragged a helpless girl into a locker and shut the door, cackling like a pack of old boyos on the tear. The show closes as I recall with Vince helplessly banging on the door screaming for his daughter. The whole arranged marriage kidnap by goth wrestler mafia kerfuffle long since forgotten by both of them. This also being before Steph's onset of actual amnesia she fell victim to after Bulldog fucked a bin at her head to see was his title shot hidden inside it.

In the immediate aftermath it's made clear to the viewers that it wasn't Stephanie. Stephanie of course was in narrative retrospect in on everything. But that still leaves open the question of who the girl was. Sure she might have been employed by DX as part of a fool-the-dad sexual assault rib tickler - I recall now the following Smackdown they may have implied it was an actress who they did have sex with afterwards with consent and that she liked it - but that's not the point (tagline of the thread, really).

The crisis of confidence a lot of us seem to be having with the current product these days won't be helped by this thread I imagine. Better posters have had excellent rants in the past about why otherwise intelligent, thoughtful people brush this shit away as being forgettable fragments of an otherwise pretty decent way to pass the time. In fact the one saving grace of today's WWE is that despite always wearing the philanthropy as self fellatio hat as if it was going out of fashion the angles have been mostly above board for years now in terms of moral conduct and the locker room does actually seem like it's full of some pretty alright people. 

It should be difficult trying to discern from the cesspit just what the most obnoxiously tasteless thing ever to go out on WWE TV is but for me nothing comes close to that time it was insinuated that DX gang raped a girl.

You don't remember? That's cool. Most people don't.

I don't actually... Hmm...I do remember something similar in that didn't they imply Heidenriech raped Michael Cole by dragging him in to a locker room?

Rape...It's a funny old thing to joke about.

Archived