WWE List: Failed Factions

tiger_rick

it's not controversial in my opinion, the Authority are absolute dog shite. They were definitely past their sell by date after Bryan defeated Orton and Big Dave at Mania 30. It's incredible that they are still knocking about today in identikit promos and backstage segments, and Steph's occasional habit of ball ripping whoever's over, with no payoff. Just throw some money at Heyman and have him run Raw for a while or something. Anything is better than those dour cunts.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Authority is just Triple H and Steph then they're good sometimes, occasionally very good. But if you mean the wider stable which vaguely includes Rollins, Kane, and Show then yeah it's shite. It barely exists in fact.

When did they start branding themselves as the Authority? After the SummerSlam 2013 Triple H heel turn or before that?

But when the "Greater Power" was revealed to be Vince it made the whole Union thing look pointless looking back. It was basically Vince V Shane but yet they were really working together. They really fucked that one up. And then the whole Corporate Ministry gimmick just faded away.  Was Jake the original choice to be the Greater Power at the time or was it just an internet rumour?

I recall reading that apparently they were planning to have The Jackyl/Don Callis be revealed as the higher power until he got the boot in '99. He was the high point of the Truth Commission though, I think The Jackyl was sorely underutilized, they could have done a lot of interesting stuff with that character in my opinion.

I know they would've done stuff to build him up but did they really expect anyone to buy into Undertaker and Shane taking directions from the bloke who used to knock about with some jobber tag team?

The oddities, though they were never meant to be a success, were just.... well I can't sum it up other than saying "why?"..

To be fair, they were colourful, their entrance was over for about 3 weeks, it made use of a load of dross (though I never understood why Earthquake wrestled under the hood) and Kurrgan was ace to play as on Attitude

I believe originally the WWE wanted to bring him back as Earthquake, but he had lost so much weight they saddled him with a mask and the Oddities.

Over on the Wrestlecrap forum years back, Quake said that Vince told him that he didn't think there was money in bringing the Earthquake character back in 1999. Begs the question of why you'd bother signing John Tenta under those circumstances, but presumably he thought there was money to be made in bringing him back as a different character (evidently there wasn't).

• Paid Members

If the Authority is just Triple H and Steph then they're good sometimes, occasionally very good. But if you mean the wider stable which vaguely includes Rollins, Kane, and Show then yeah it's shite. It barely exists in fact.

When did they start branding themselves as the Authority? After the SummerSlam 2013 Triple H heel turn or before that?

After, surely? I mean, wasn't the story going in to that Summerslam that *Vince* hated Bryan, and Trips was defending him? It would be a bit weird to brand yourself the "Authority" when the power was split like that. In fact, wasn't Vince the one in charge at that point?

I mean a bit of both, I suppose. Trips and Stephanie are all right (though the babyface thing is annoying) but the whole idea could've been so much more.

Regarding the Oddities: Was there any build up to their babyface turn? I remember them being heels managed by the Jackyl one week, and then all of a sudden they were dancing about with Sable, waving South Park merchandise about.

• Paid Members

That "team" thing was especially annoying for Team Rhodes Scholars. A clever name and they slap that shit at the front.

My personally most hated unnecessary use of "Team" was when Rated-RKO were together, even though they were just "Rated-RKO," JR used to often get confused and call them "Team Rated-RKO." Utter bollocks. But then, JR used to be full of mistakes all the time. Nobody agrees with me, but I thought he was shit for years.

• Paid Members

That "team" thing was especially annoying for Team Rhodes Scholars. A clever name and they slap that shit at the front.

My personally most hated unnecessary use of "Team" was when Rated-RKO were together, even though they were just "Rated-RKO," JR used to often get confused and call them "Team Rated-RKO." Utter bollocks. But then, JR used to be full of mistakes all the time. Nobody agrees with me, but I thought he was shit for years.

He was well below his best for years but it was always worth putting up with because you knew three or four times a year he'd really make a moment or sell a match like Cole just cannot do.

• Paid Members

This is true. Much as I got annoyed with him for getting things wrong, it just doesn't compare to his ability to make things seem super-duper-big-time. I can't think of anyone since him who has that ability. Before him (and I know this is controversial), I thought Monsoon and Heenan were good at that, Heenan in particular.

It's why I think TNA missed out hugely on signing him when he was effectively fired by WWE. They should've given him anything he wanted, because he could have made anything they did seem bigger than it was - Tenay isn't just incapable of that, he actually does the opposite: he decreases the magnitude of everything with his weird, apathetic style of commentary (barring that hi-five with West).

Archived