WWE List: Failed Factions

tiger_rick

I remember in 2000 when Big Show, Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, and Shane McMahon were briefly aligned. It must've only been two or three weeks in the Summer but they did some backstage skits and tagged together and stuff, I'm sure. They never had a name but I thought they could've been a cool little collective given the chance.

Was that the same time when Benoit had Rock in the Crossface while Shane shouted at him?   Think they were referred to as the Conspiracy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The UnAmericans were pretty useless. It gave four guys something to do for a couple of monrm's, but it didn't achieve anything of note and certainly wasn't memorable.

I thought the unamericans were pretty decent, and had a fair few heated matches at a time WWE was in a bit of a transition, granted it was cheap heat, but still. The smackdown where Edge, Cena and Mysterio left them lying after Edge's cage match with Jericho felt like they really had something at the time. Pity Test wouldn't cut his hair!

I'd want to add the 'New' Nexus to this list as well. The Nexus as a group was in pretty bad shape before CM Punk took over but then it somehow got even shitter. Mcgillicutty and Harris were bland, Mason Ryan was green and David Otunga was David Otunga. The only thing I remember they did of note was each of them being punted by Randy Oration and shipped back to developmental.

Top shout. There was a tweet on the crawler on the show mentioning the "New Nexus" and I'll be honest - They are so unmemorable that I thought the tweeter couldn't remember the name of the Corre!

It's also telling how quickly they were completely forgotten. The last mention of them on screen was on Punk's ident during his Chicago MITB entrance. It was only about 4 weeks after that angle where they teased dissension between Punk and Mason Ryan, but even at the time it was like 'oh aye, he's got a stable hasn't he?'

IMG01280-20110717-2206-1024x768-300x225.

Only thing I can remember about Punk in The Nexus is when he ousted Barrett in a similar fashion as Scar did to Mufasa

I remember in 2000 when Big Show, Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, and Shane McMahon were briefly aligned. It must've only been two or three weeks in the Summer but they did some backstage skits and tagged together and stuff, I'm sure. They never had a name but I thought they could've been a cool little collective given the chance.

Was that the same time when Benoit had Rock in the Crossface while Shane shouted at him?   Think they were referred to as the Conspiracy

Aye it would've been around that time. I've got no recollection of them being called that, but I'll take your word for it. I imagine it was dropped because Benoit and Angle were both ascending the card at a healthy rate anyway, so didn't need a stable to add to their heat. And it was around that time they seemed to give up on Big Show for a good while.

It was a good mix of characters on paper though. Could've been money at a different time and place.

• Paid Members

Aye it would've been around that time. I've got no recollection of them being called that, but I'll take your word for it. I imagine it was dropped because Benoit and Angle were both ascending the card at a healthy rate anyway, so didn't need a stable to add to their heat. And it was around that time they seemed to give up on Big Show for a good while.

It was a good mix of characters on paper though. Could've been money at a different time and place.

I never heard them called the Conspiracy - I remember the phrase "Friendly Alliance" being chucked about a bit.

• Paid Members

D.O. sodding A.

An absolute skid stain of a faction that not only had the cunting Harris twins as members, but their equally shit cousin Brian Lee too. I seem to vaguely remember Paul Ellering, who also deserves the label of shit, getting involved with them at one point. I was going to write that they had a feud with Los Boricuas (shit again) that went on forever. But according to Wikipedia it only went on for a couple of months in 1997, which I find almost impossible to believe. They also feuded with the Truth Commission, another shit-tastic faction. Did I mention that the Harris Twins were key members?

This group had it all. No promo ability. No workers. No decent opponents. No decent feuds. No good matches. Shit loads of Harris Twins.

Edit: If I remember rightly, Crush left DOA pretty early on. That means for several months BRIAN LEE was the workhorse of the group!

Just thought of another one. LA Familia. Edge at the peak of his monotonous and seemingly continuous loop of feuds with Batista/Undertaker supported by the bland Hawkins and Ryder and the even more bland Bam Neeley. Throw in Chavo Guerrero who has never really generated any sort of reaction and you have one shit stable. At least Vickie could get some decent heat. But yeah not good.

But when the "Greater Power" was revealed to be Vince it made the whole Union thing look pointless looking back. It was basically Vince V Shane but yet they were really working together. They really fucked that one up. And then the whole Corporate Ministry gimmick just faded away.  Was Jake the original choice to be the Greater Power at the time or was it just an internet rumour?

I recall reading that apparently they were planning to have The Jackyl/Don Callis be revealed as the higher power until he got the boot in '99. He was the high point of the Truth Commission though, I think The Jackyl was sorely underutilized, they could have done a lot of interesting stuff with that character in my opinion.

But when the "Greater Power" was revealed to be Vince it made the whole Union thing look pointless looking back. It was basically Vince V Shane but yet they were really working together. They really fucked that one up. And then the whole Corporate Ministry gimmick just faded away.  Was Jake the original choice to be the Greater Power at the time or was it just an internet rumour?

I recall reading that apparently they were planning to have The Jackyl/Don Callis be revealed as the higher power until he got the boot in '99. He was the high point of the Truth Commission though, I think The Jackyl was sorely underutilized, they could have done a lot of interesting stuff with that character in my opinion.

I know they would've done stuff to build him up but did they really expect anyone to buy into Undertaker and Shane taking directions from the bloke who used to knock about with some jobber tag team?

The oddities, though they were never meant to be a success, were just.... well I can't sum it up other than saying "why?"..

To be fair, they were colourful, their entrance was over for about 3 weeks, it made use of a load of dross (though I never understood why Earthquake wrestled under the hood) and Kurrgan was ace to play as on Attitude

• Paid Members

I think some more recent ones deserve a shout here. Team PCB, for example, got massive hype when they formed, and promised that they would revolutionise women's wrestling. They lasted about four months, and just had the same sort of meaningless matches that were a staple of the Diva's Division anyway.

It's controversial but I'd argue that The Authority have been a bit of a flop. At the very least they've been a major disappointment. The faction that are supposed to represent, and enforce, Triple H and Stephanie's vision of what the WWE is supposed to be, and, yet, two of the most pushed members were Kane and Big Show.. If they'd expanded the membership, even a little, it could've given some much needed direction to a few of the midcarders who are simply drifting about, as well as giving the audience a reason to care about more than just the Main Event. From a kayfabe perspective, it makes no sense that Trips would let HIS group become so depleted, and surely the roster should be full of guys who want to get in the good books?

That isn't even getting into the shite "We'll disband if we lose. For a few weeks". stuff, or the awkward way Triple H and Stephanie would occasionally decide to be babyfaces. I suppose they could reboot it at the Survivor Series, but I'm not holding my breath.

Archived