TNA Moments/Hits/Misses

WWFChilli

• Paid Members

To be fair to them, the "It's about no limits not weight limits" was a pretty good way to make the X Division stand out from being just a standard cruiserweight division, and it worked in perfectly for when Joe debuted

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm just trying to apply too much real world logic to pro wrestling, really - it's akin to letting heavyweight boxers get in there with flyweights if their hand speed is measured to be quick enough, or something. If you separate a division on stylistic grounds, who gets to decide who's in or not? And how subjective are the criteria?

And then back to the original point - Abyss wins the title because of a Feast or Fired, and they just go "oh, alright then, you now qualify for some reason".

Oh, and that brings me to another one - the genesis of the Legends Title. Booker T (part of a "we think we're better than the guys you like to cheer because we've main evented in WCW/WWE" stable) buys his own title using the money he earned "up north", having not been good enough to win the TNA World Title in the ring.

Rather than immediately dismissing it as the trinket of an arrogant man a la the Million Dollar Belt, everybody in TNA from Mike Tenay to whoever was the authority figure at the time to the wrestlers themselves goes "OH WOW! What a prestigious new title - I really, really want to win that - not to piss off Booker, but because it's really worth something!"

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flair Vs Foley, an old fart and a broken down mess in not only a Last Man Standing match but one that turned into a full on Deathmatch. Admittedly, I found it to be hugely entertaining but it probably should never have happened in the first place, especially for free on a non-WWE show.

But speaking of Ric, Wheelchair Flair has to be one of the greatest hits from this company, I dont think I've ever laughed so much watching wrestling.

With the legends belt also, how many times did it get repackaged? I swear I remember the same belt being called the TV belt or am I misremembering that?

Wasn't that the "Global" title too?

With the legends belt also, how many times did it get repackaged? I swear I remember the same belt being called the TV belt or am I misremembering that?

Wasn't that the "Global" title too?

Yes.  And now it's the King of the Mountain Title.

• Paid Members

The biggest TNA memory I have is that botch free RVD vs Sabu main to hardcore justice.

It's Sabu, he's bald and getting on and a pot head. "every time he fucks up we take a shot" we said. That's a fun way to work in a drinking game.

Smoothest match Sabu ever fucking had.

That and Taz pissing himself because Balls was called Kahonies

• Paid Members

Flair Vs Foley, an old fart and a broken down mess in not only a Last Man Standing match but one that turned into a full on Deathmatch. Admittedly, I found it to be hugely entertaining but it probably should never have happened in the first place, especially for free on a non-WWE show.

3 days away from Bound for Glory as well. Their biggest show of the year. That was when BFG would draw about 2/3000 hardcore fans who came to see the stars and ex-ROH wrestlers, so you'd get a hot crowd. Its amazing to think they had a match between Foley and Flair, and decided to put it on free TV days before their biggest show of the year. The crowd would have went mad for that in Daytona Beach.

This being TNA, they obviously thought the reveal of the "THEY" storyline was more of a draw than putting the wrestlers in a position to do business.

Speaking of misses, that fucking King Of The Mountain match was the biggest piece of shit. The belt being carried around like a toy because you've got to hang it up like a Goddamn star on a Christmas tree, only so you can pull it right back off, clutch it to your chest and cherish it forever. Why hang the belt up instead of just five guys trying to climb the ladder to pull it down? Still have the pinfall to make you eligible if you want. There's a penalty box involved. My favourite was Mike Tenay explaining the match by saying "it's really quite simple", and then taking three full minutes, with graphics, to explain it.

• Paid Members

There's a famous one for the reverse battle royal, where West and Tenay have to explain (I swear) three stages of the fucking rules. Its like "20 men are on the outside and have to get it. Then when 7 are in the ring it turns into a regular battle royal, and when there's 2 left its a match and then when there's one left he has to wear a chicken suit and do Bernard Manning jokes in front of Keith Mitchell." Its completely mad. And the end of it, its something like "the winner gets a bye in the tournament finals." It seems like they have to jump through 500 hoops just to get a bye in the tournament. It would be easier for the wrestler just to actually fight someone one-on-one to get through instead of all that fucking about with 19 other blokes.

Haha I watched one of the reverse battle royales the other day. The wrestlers gave it their very best shot to look like they couldn't just jump into the ring at any given point, but it's the dumbest shit I've ever seen

Abyss beating Sting for the title by DQ.

They had it in the rules when the promotion first started that titles could change hands on DQs, but it had not been mentioned in so long (and DQ finishes had probably happened which didn't result in title changes) that everyone had forgotten about it. You were left with Tenay on commentary going "oh yeah...turns out that can happen. Now let's go to JB in the back"

Also, that massive Red Birdcage thing where-

* you could see fuck happening

* Homicide famously struggled to get out of the dam thing as everyone had to pretend to be dead

* was the first match on Monday Night Impact and ended in a Disqualification. A CAGE MATCH ENDED IN A DQ! State of your promotion mate!

Archived