TNA Moments/Hits/Misses

WWFChilli

• Paid Members

I remember that original World Cup in TNA, where All Star's Robbie Dynamite gave Heavy Metal a back drop and Metal came down at an arched angle right on his spine. From there, Heavy Metal went "fuck this" and after a minute of nothing but save ground work he pinned Dynamite. He didnt want to work with him after Bob Dynamite.

It was typical of this country at the time. Mexico had these lovely customes and flyers, and here was us. With the shit haircuts and early 90s tights which I imagine most of them still wear. They totally picked the wrong British wrestlers for that. They needed a Jonny Storm or Jody Fleisch of someone. Someone a bit flashy.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

As a gratuitous slice of gore Sabu v Abyss in a 6-Sides of Barbed Wire Match was incredibly memorable.

Just a gruesome, violent match.

That was a wonderful bit of wrestling, well put together and sensibly placed on the show.

I remember nothing of the build though, was there a story or did they just spunk it out on ppv with no backing?

As a gratuitous slice of gore Sabu v Abyss in a 6-Sides of Barbed Wire Match was incredibly memorable.

Just a gruesome, violent match.

That was a wonderful bit of wrestling, well put together and sensibly placed on the show.

I remember nothing of the build though, was there a story or did they just spunk it out on ppv with no backing?

They had been feuding before Unbreakable and had a hardcore match and both competed in Monsters Ball and had this thing of Sabu scaring Abyss with barbed wire I think. Amazingly brutal match. I remember reading on the website reporting Abyss was badly injured and was scarred for life from barbed wire and the way it was written was odd. Something along the lines of:

James Mitchell confirmed the scars from the match are permanent and will remain with Abyss throughout his life. Well, duh!

Also, speaking of Monsters Ball, remember when they had that gimmick where they spent the day before the show in a windowless dark room without food or water? They forgot about it once they got to the 6th or 7th one.

• Paid Members

Yeah Abyss has clear scars through his tattoos, you can still see them. Sabu's run from Aug-Dec 05 (with a Lockdown cameo against Joe) might be his most consistent modern day run of great matches. He was treated quite special, it was great fun.

I remember that original World Cup in TNA, where All Star's Robbie Dynamite gave Heavy Metal a back drop and Metal came down at an arched angle right on his spine. From there, Heavy Metal went "fuck this" and after a minute of nothing but save ground work he pinned Dynamite. He didnt want to work with him after Bob Dynamite.

It was typical of this country at the time. Mexico had these lovely customes and flyers, and here was us. With the shit haircuts and early 90s tights which I imagine most of them still wear. They totally picked the wrong British wrestlers for that. They needed a Jonny Storm or Jody Fleisch of someone. Someone a bit flashy.

I think a later Team UK was cancelled that was set to feature Doug Williams, Jonny Storm, Nigel McGuinness and Jodie Fleisch around 2006 or so due to Doug and Nigel having NOAH commitments. I was gutted that didn't happen, they'd have been a cracking unit to show up in that year's World X Cup. 

I think Kaz and Daniels need a bit of love for being entertaining no matter what they were involved with during the time period (not exactly sure on dates) 2011/12? AJ Styles baby shower with Claire Lynch and them wearing Zubaz were particular highlights. A very fun partnership in a very dark time.

Kaz never seemed to have any charisma, and while Daniels was confident he never had a character that really came across in the ring. You could see the pair of them develop as performers and their confidence grew from week to week. A proper dangerous, dickhead tag team that you loved but still wanted to see them get a kicking.

I think Kaz and Daniels need a bit of love for being entertaining no matter what they were involved with during the time period (not exactly sure on dates) 2011/12? AJ Styles baby shower with Claire Lynch and them wearing Zubaz were particular highlights. A very fun partnership in a very dark time.

Kaz never seemed to have any charisma, and while Daniels was confident he never had a character that really came across in the ring. You could see the pair of them develop as performers and their confidence grew from week to week. A proper dangerous, dickhead tag team that you loved but still wanted to see them get a kicking.

No doubt they were the saving grace of the Claire Lynch storyline. To think it turned out she played Olive Oyl at the Popeye attraction at Universal Studios which led to her quitting it and wrapping it up early by forcing her lawyer (Dixie Carter's Mum) to admit it was staged.

• Paid Members

I can't remember when this was but there was this fantastic segment just after a PPV. Jarrett had won back the title and was preparing a in-ring celebration. There were decorations and a table with food booze etc. But before Jarrett could come out AJ Styles/Daniels and LAX are in the ring beating the shit out of eachother and destroying everything. AJ and Daniels are bloody messes. Slowly but surely the rest of the roster come out and there's a mental ruckus going on. Jarrett eventually comes out pissed off and moaning that everyone ruined his party. He gets in the ring looking at the madness around him, shrugs and in a moment of "fuck it, this is MY party and I'm going to celebrate it anyway" starts necking back a bottle of champagne and cheering for himself. 

My favorite TNA storyline is definitely when Austin Aries had beaten all the X division competition and wanted a shot at the Heavyweight title and Hogan made the deal with him that he could have a title shot but would have to give up the X division belt for it. I thought that was a really cool and original idea and was surprised something similar hadn't been done before.

Archived