TNA Moments/Hits/Misses

WWFChilli

Were the NWA:TNA birds just local strippers back then? From 2002-2003 there was loads of women you never seen before or since turning up on the PPVs. Real life Asexual Disco Inferno even had a implanted brain dead valet with him for some reason.

I remember one promo, where they did a "shoot" with Glenn Gilberti and he was wearing a snide Man United Vodafone top (it had a collar!), and he flat out said "Jeff Jarrett doesn't have the superstar charisma ..." which is a fair point, but his next sentence was "... that someone like I have." No idea why they were trying to make Disco the next Rock. Nobody ever thought Disco was untapped talent WCW fucked up.

Speaking of Gilbertti, I'm sure he turned up on TNA for one week a few years after everyone forgot he existed. They spent a good part of the show building up his return, to the point where you'd think he'd be mauling Shark Boy or someone, instead Abyss beat him within a minute. And there was much rejoicing.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've only just found out that the Insane Clown Posse booked TNA's first ever house show, and it got like 4000 fans.

TNA were a hot ticket at the time. Its like NXT is now, where you went because they had that mix of people you knew and red hot indy workers (Joe, Styles and Daniels were proper indy draws at the time). This was before you heard "TNA" and vomited before you got the last letter out. Amazing to think TNA were a bit of a hip little group. Back in the days all people had to be upset about was that Jeff Jarrett hadnt died in a car crash yet. I think they turned people away from that house show if memory serves.

• Paid Members

Well, here's one I'd forgotten about. Christy Hemme in a tuxedo match against Big Fat Oily Guy. 

That's one of my favourite bad storylines. It just made no sense at all. I mean, you'd think it'd be fairly simple to write a feud between a woman who wanted to wrestle and a chauvinist who thought women had no place in the ring. I.E: Build to a match between the two with the stipulation that she can wrestle if she wins. Even if Spike's policy about women vs men was an issue, they could've used it to split up Kip and BG, neither of whom were really doing anything of note at that point anyway.

Instead Christy, the heel, brought in a bunch of guys to try and get the job done for her. Eventually settling on Lance Hoyt who then proceeded NOT to feud with VKM. When the Knockouts Division finally came around she was managing the Rock N Rave Infection, and Kip, the woman hater, was the Beautiful People's hairdresser.

It was a load of absolute shit.

This was during the start of Russo's reign of terror, which was hilarious - they bring the fat oily guy in for a parody sketch to mock how lame Big Dick Johnson is, then Russo falls in love with it because he's stupid enough to find it funny, and starts running with it himself. And it gave us this immortal image:

bfog14.jpg

Archived