TNA Moments/Hits/Misses

WWFChilli

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Option C also lead to the Edge level shenanigans where Aries stole Manik/Suicide's costume and won the X-Division title with the intention of going for the World Title. I really liked that story, but then they just back tracked on it all and forgot about it giving the belt to Sabin. Would have been the perfect chance to drop the confusing Suicide shit too, but they didn't even bother with that. So in the end everyone was kinda left wondering what the point of it all was.

*Diaclaimer: I'm pretty trashed so there is a chance I am remembering that all wrong. I think that's what happened though

• Paid Members

At the time, Stone Cold Jeff Jarrett overcoming all those odds was as disheartening as anything you'll ever see. There was about 800 run ins, he was fucking handcuffed, the fans were desperate for him to lose ... but Jarrett still came out on top. I watched all those old TNA PPVs about a year ago, and Jarrett is about the most offensive main event wrestler ever. He was in just about every segment in those days. If you could invent the exact opposite in every way to the Austin vs McMahon feud it would be Jarrett vs Russo.

• Paid Members

Raven not beating Jarrett was the original TNA miss. I know there were issues from the start with the wanking midgets and all that palava but that was minor stuff that became TNA lolz. Raven not winning the title after their first really hot angle hammered home that this was Jarrett's vehicle to push himself and they had no interest in making any money.

I loved that era though. The shows were full of guys WWE didn't pick up in the invasion (or immediately let go). It was EWR come to life. Guys repackaged in front of your eyes. Loads of talk about proper wrestling, denouncing gimmicks, etc while being more "sports entertainment" than any show ever. People like Vader, Piper, Dusty, Duggan, etc just showing up out of the blue for no reason was the most interesting TNA has ever been. Guys like Mike Sanders fucking floundering. "Stone Cold" Glenn Gilberti. Madness. Brilliant madness. Only being able to get hold of it on VCD from someone who'd worked out how to IRC faster than me made it special too.

The biggest hit is Lollipop's tits. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar.

• Paid Members

My favourite memory of early TNA is a squash match that the test runs of Xplosion that TWC ran on Friendly TV, which was A.J. Styles against JR Ryder in (I believe) Styles' first televised match since losing the title to Jarrett in a double turn. It was the first time I'd watched A.J. since a tape I got from SiMania of ROH Night of Appreciation where he had a barnstormer with Low Ki. This was a completely different animal - he walloped Ryder in about two minutes flat, looking as pissed off as a wrestler can. I don't remember much else he squeezed in other than the Fosbury Flop (running Shooting Star to the outside), a discus lariat, and then went home with the Superman (springboard 450). His execution was really crisp and it was such a brutally efficient dispatch, instantly Styles became one of my favourite guys to watch - and he remains so, 12 years later.

• Paid Members

Were the NWA:TNA birds just local strippers back then? From 2002-2003 there was loads of women you never seen before or since turning up on the PPVs. Real life Asexual Disco Inferno even had a implanted brain dead valet with him for some reason.

I remember one promo, where they did a "shoot" with Glenn Gilberti and he was wearing a snide Man United Vodafone top (it had a collar!), and he flat out said "Jeff Jarrett doesn't have the superstar charisma ..." which is a fair point, but his next sentence was "... that someone like I have." No idea why they were trying to make Disco the next Rock. Nobody ever thought Disco was untapped talent WCW fucked up.

• Paid Members

I used to love watching TNA back in the day because it was shit. So shit it was funny. But then I stopped watching wrestling and when I came back it was just shit.

Oh, and I liked Malice.

Surely Jim Mitchell botching Raven's head shaving and carving his scalp up something rotten by using the clippers the wrong way has to be incredibly memorable. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x48poo_james-mitchell-scalping-raven_sport

Ouch!

Even though it was a botch, TNA did the smart thing and ran with it (aat least in the short term) and had Raven exact his revenge on Mitchell in another bloodfest.

Surely Jim Mitchell botching Raven's head shaving and carving his scalp up something rotten by using the clippers the wrong way has to be incredibly memorable. 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x48poo_james-mitchell-scalping-raven_sport

Ouch!

Even though it was a botch, TNA did the smart thing and ran with it (aat least in the short term) and had Raven exact his revenge on Mitchell in another bloodfest.

Wasn't it the case that someone handed Mitchell a set of sheep shears instead of one actually designed for human scalps?

Archived