TNA Moments/Hits/Misses

WWFChilli

I never really watched TNA but anytime I've sat on YouTube showing mates some funny wrestling things they'll get, I head to "Stone Cold" Shark Boy, and that amazing Jay Lethal promo as Ric Flair while Flair himself is flailing about in the ring losing his mind. "THAT'S MY LINE! THAT'S MY LINE!"

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

TNALOL.....

Trytan. He was the shit, wasn't he?

The electrified cage match. Ludicrous cheese that made the tag belts look like comedy and just made me think "Halloween Havoc 91."

The whole concept of Feast Or Fired. There are plenty of midcard losers that would not risk a chance at getting a title shot if there was a chance they could be "winning" their P45. Fundamentally flawed.

That tag title match AMW beat Team 3D when the ref couldn't see whose shoulders he was counting. Nonsense. That match where Brititsh Invasion won NEW JAPAN'S tag belts by not actually putting Team 3D through a table but just telling the ref they had. Fucking Starrcade 99 levels of bullshit.

That prepesterous Knockouts multiple elimination match where they all won keys to boxes and one of them (Angie?) won the womens title from another (Tara?) despite the champion not just having NOT been pinned by the girl that won her belt, but having NOT BEEN PINNED AT ALL and having actually WON a fall in that match. Just the stupidest thing I ever saw. Lose your title in a match you won. Just fuck off.

What would you say are TNA's best ever matches then

My favourite match would be my face and Velvet's pillows.

What would you say are TNA's best ever matches then, I might get someone on XWT to make a Best Of TNA match compilation.

Is the three way from Unbreakable 2005 still regarded as the promotions best ever match? Never been a huge TNA fan but the only iconic matches I can think of is that one and Hogan vs Sting, and even that one is only great because of the post match stuff

• Paid Members

One of the company's legit best matches for me was James Storm/Chris Harris Texas Death Match. I'm sure some would argue, the fucking mess from the month before aided this match. It didn't, this match was that bloody good. Two blokes in jeans just beating each other senseless in a proper old style southern brawl. Both men bleed, Storm in particular bleeds buckets, absolute buckets. The finish is also perfect for that feud. If anyone hasn't seen it tbh check it out. Both men's career best singles matches personally. Shits on the Beer Money split matches.

I remember being a massive fan of LAX so they're a hit, although in typical fashion TNA managed to mess that up, I (and I imagine loads of other people) thought they'd turned face when Cornette stripped the tag belts off them for not respecting TNA and its fans or some shite, Their entrance was superb as well

One of the company's legit best matches for me was James Storm/Chris Harris Texas Death Match. I'm sure some would argue, the fucking mess from the month before aided this match. It didn't, this match was that bloody good. Two blokes in jeans just beating each other senseless in a proper old style southern brawl. Both men bleed, Storm in particular bleeds buckets, absolute buckets. The finish is also perfect for that feud. If anyone hasn't seen it tbh check it out. Both men's career best singles matches personally. Shits on the Beer Money split matches.

Excellent match which doesn't seem to get brought up a lot unfortunately.  I'd have that in my top 5 TNA matches of all time I reckon.

• Paid Members

Joe v Angle was of course very influential, even if they chucked their muck with it wayyyyy too soon

Thankfully they revisited that one with their cage match at Lockdown 2008.

Incredible to think one year later they got trapped in a 1998 timewarp and put the tag straps on the Duds and the big belt on Mick fucking Foley. REALLY?

Actually, I've just remembered another one that made my piss boil. When they thought it was a good idea to put the Dudleys, 10 years past their best, in the ring with the Nasty Boys, 20 years past their best. That look preposterous on PPV in 2010.

• Paid Members

The whole concept of Feast Or Fired. There are plenty of midcard losers that would not risk a chance at getting a title shot if there was a chance they could be "winning" their P45. Fundamentally flawed.

Oh Christ, yes.

Stupid anyway, but when you consider throughout the period in which those matches were taking place shots at all the titles were being given out like sweeties on the TV show, it's utterly asinine.

If the World Title were defended 4 times a year, every time against the winner of a gruelling tournament, it MIGHT make some sense, but when all you really have to do to get a title shot is ask... 

The really insane thing about it was that guys who were in the upper reaches of the 'rankings' and had quite recently been the recipient of said World Title shot sweeties would still go ahead and sign up for a match to risk their job at the possibility of getting another shot (despite having first hand experience of how easy it is to get one), but being just as likely to end up being a 350-pounder with zero high-flying moves with an X-Division title shot in hand... **

The freedom of getting title shots kinda why the BFG Series, although a pretty decent idea, never really worked either. I know BFG is "our Super Bowl" and main eventing it is supposed to carry some prestige, but...

And think about running Feast or Fired, the BFG Series AND Open Fight Night all within a few months of each other... Jesus...

** Actually, how about the 'rules' of the X-Division in the first place - it's OK to be fat as long as you do the odd tope.

And how about when all X-Division matches were 3-ways, and if you didn't get pinned you got to come back and have another go and the title next week?

Oh, and based off Slapnut's "EV2.0" retrospective - that fucking promo where Tommy Dreamer actually cried about WWE bringing back ECW and it not being exactly like it used to be, despite Vince having given him a good decade of gainful employment in various roles. Ugh.

** Actually, how about the 'rules' of the X-Division in the first place - it's OK to be fat as long as you do the odd tope.

To be fair to them, the "It's about no limits not weight limits" was a pretty good way to make the X Division stand out from being just a standard cruiserweight division, and it worked in perfectly for when Joe debuted

The original Kim-Kong series, 5 or 6 years ago was very good. Probably the only women's matches I've enjoyed from the 'majors'. Angle headbutting Joe was classic & for anyone that doesn't know, Fit Finlay taught him that little trick. Anything with Aries was usually enjoyable & Desmond coming in and feuding with Kurt straight off + fitting the word "wanker" in as many times as he could and that then being aired.

I remember really liking Desmond Wolfe when he came in. I recall when he first beat up Angle, Angle was screaming 'who sent you' and I was really intrigued as to where it was going etc.

Other than that my favourite time period was the lead to Bound For Glory 2011 whe Roode lost to Angle and Hogan turned back face. Loved the build and that event, and then the whole story afterwards with Storm getting over like a motherfucker and Roode turning heel and having his reign. Can't believe they even screwed that up with a near year long build to Storm getting revenge on Roode then Storm just kept losing. I really think they had something with Storm and Roode but it just fizzled.

Archived