Hall of Fame 2016 - Dallas

HarleyRace8times

Air raid, make crystal clear whatever you want. Bottom line is no one gives a crap about your criteria. Not here on this forum and def not WWE. 

Popular does not equal "loved". As a performer, a heel who is really hated is as valuable as a babyface who is really loved. Not as far as merchandise sales/ PPV buys etc are concerned, but as a performer def. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Air raid, make crystal clear whatever you want. Bottom line is no one gives a crap about your criteria.Not here on this forum and def not WWE.

Popular does not equal "loved". As a performer, a heel who is really hated is as valuable as a babyface who is really loved. Not as far as merchandise sales/ PPV buys etc are concerned, but as a performer def.

As a very respected member of the forum, there are plenty of people who give a crap what Raid thinks on the topic

Batista would be an interesting choice. Obviously with his increased exposure in the last couple of years it would bring a fair amount of added interest.

I eouldnt be against it, but I can imagine that it would be viewed as 'unworthy', which is bullshit considering that Edge is in the HOF with a similar number of accomplishments

• Paid Members

I would suggest that a pretty strong argument could be made for Kamala meeting each of the criteria set out by air_raid, but it's all so subjective. It can be fun to argue either way, but anybody getting wound up about the WWE Hall of Fame needs to be having a word with themselves. 

• Paid Members

Air raid, make crystal clear whatever you want. Bottom line is no one gives a crap about your criteria.Not here on this forum and def not WWE.

As a very respected member of the forum, there are plenty of people who give a crap what Raid thinks on the topic

Batista would be an interesting choice. Obviously with his increased exposure in the last couple of years it would bring a fair amount of added interest.

I eouldnt be against it, but I can imagine that it would be viewed as 'unworthy', which is bullshit considering that Edge is in the HOF with a similar number of accomplishments

Being around here longer than a few people doesn't mean he can't be chatting shit. Kostan isn't usually great but Air Raid's criteria isn't the be all and end all of the WWE Hall of Fame. Kamala I'd say definitely warrants a place in there.

• Paid Members

Every one has their own opinions. Unless air_raid got a memo from WWE with the official Hall of Fame criteria then it’s just anecdotal evidence, and that future entrants may buck those trends. No need to argue who’s right or wrong because no one is either.

Kamala was a really odd one to pick up on there to be fair. In terms of gimmick, longevity and overall success he's more than than deserving of a spot. And to discount someone because they aren't "loved" when they're from an era when people just didn't view heels in that way seems really odd. Can't imagine many people loved someone like Mad Dog Vachon either but that has no relevance to whether he should be in or not.

• Paid Members

I was mostly looking for a Koko/Bushwhackers excuse for guys that were essentially footnotes in terms of drawing money, success on the national stage or making any kind of lasting impression. "Were brilliant" or "were a big deal" are the simpler versions, and for people like a Koko B Ware (who's one of the first people I think of when the "anyone gets in" argument gets wheeled out) I at least think that he was a character people loved and lots of fans of his era will look back and think "I loved that guy." Possibly. Trying to find something noteworthy about a career that I consider unremarkable.

Lots of you are getting really precious about opinions being challenged. If people can just come out with "I think this" without being asked "why do you think that" or disagreeing, then there's barely a point to having a discussion forum at all. It's true that an opinion can never technically be "wrong," that doesn't mean it can't be challenged with "based on what" if that opinion seems outlandish. If we just want every thread to just degenerate to people posting something they think and everyone else either agreeing or just e-shrugging and saying nothing, let me know now, because it's soft as shit, and sits next to shitty Listamania threads in "rubbish things about forums." If my mate said to me in the pub "I think the Berzerker deserves to go in" I'd tell him he's having a laugh, and there's no difference between that and a complete stranger on the Internet saying they think a One Man Gang had a Hall Of Fame career, and me saying "bollocks" because I think it was a completely average career with no significant successes, particularly enoyable matches or even a decent Hasbro to speak of. "Was in the ring when the Mega Powers were falling apart" is his lasting impression, next to Kamala's "was in the ring waiting for Undertaker's hearse to pull in."

If I can also be contrary on one other suggestion from a while back - Haku? I'm struggling. "Had a long career" and "wrestled for both the WWF and WCW" is all I've got. Won one tag belt. "Was in it when business was great in the 80s." By that criteria, we want to get Beefcake in too. If we're saying Kamala "main evented in WCW" as I read earlier in the thread, Brutus The Butcher did too. He's got to go in. And definitely Virgil! His babyface turn and glorious win at SummerSlam must have left a lasting impression on far more fans of my age that grew up watching that same era than Haku did.

On a lighter note.... Batista, I'd agree, deserves to go in one day. Won two Royal Rumbles, multiple runs with the WWE title and the Big Gold Belt, a sustained run in main events that a huge proportion of wrestlers ever would be envious of, properly main evented (went on last) at WrestleMania twice and had a world title match with The Undertaker at another... yeah. That's a special and noteworthy career. That to me represents "Hall Of Fame". He didn't just hang around for ages, he actually achieved some stuff.

I'm with the Kamala suggestion. He's such a character that people remember him fondly, even if they didn't like him much at the time. Definitely a strong contender for me.

Thinking of Kamala though, got me thinking of the Dungeon of Doom, and in particular Kevin Sullivan. Does he not deserve a place based on his backstage contribution and for being a bit of an innovator in his day? That and for being the leader of The D of D.

Kamala should go in for the rarity of the moon-belly Hasbro alone. I think I'd put anyone who made it a Hasbro figure in, to be honest. Except Greg Valentine.

I eouldnt be against it, but I can imagine that it would be viewed as 'unworthy'

Only by those with severe idiocy. Batista's the second biggest star they've made since the attitude era. Multiple world titles, two WrestleMania main events, part of one of the greatest factions ever, and he kicked off that six or seven year run of Undertaker having incredible Streak matches. And he was about 50 when he started wrestling training.

If Batista's career is unworthy of the Hall of Fame, there could only ever be about a dozen people in it.

Archived