#EATCLEAN

PowerButchi

Edit: to Carbomb

They do, there's one in Waltham Cross that has been open as long is I've been alive I think. I know there aren't that many around these days, but they're not service station exclusive. Can't beat a bender in a bun.

SuperBacon, there's a Spud U Like in Basildon as well.

Good to know Wokings not the only one. It's weird. It's in the food court along with the usual suspects and a great Mexican place, but it's so dark and drab, like it hasn't been updated in years. I never see anyone getting anything from there, which is a shame, because growing up, Spudulike was an absolute treat.

Best place to eat in Hounslow until the absolute alien concept of Sbarro came along (my parents decided to get a divorce in Sbarro: true story)

• Paid Members

Was just chatting to a friend of mine about the Wimpy's thing. He said he'd heard something about the service station division of Wimpy's being run by a different company, even though they all operate under the same umbrella.

Makes sense. Until a few years ago, there was one up the road from me near Wood Green station, and it was basically a glorified greasy spoon. The ones at the service stations are more "official-looking", for want of a better phrase; they actually look like fast food branches with the packaging and branding.

• Paid Members

Is Wendy's still going in the UK? Again Hounslow set the trend with one years ago.

Wendy's pulled out in 2000. Basildon also had an early one in 1985 (according to local records). I remember they built a drive through in Dagenham 3 months before they pulled out the UK which quickly was sold and rebranded to McDonalds. Always make sure it's one of my first meals whenever I get a chance to hit America. That and Popeye's chicken.

I do have a square burger press due to Wendy's though as a tribute

Wimpy's chips used to be notoriously awful. The franchise branches used to buy half a dozen bags to keep them happy and order McCain's to actually serve to people.

I took my daughter's Dutch boyfriend for his first Wimpy last weekend. He had the jalapeno burger because he didn't know any better, whereas I had the Megaburger (cheeseburger and bender combo).

Wait, this is a thing? Off to Lakeside later so may investigate this megaburger. Just for #eatclean research of course...

• Paid Members

If you're going to Lakeside, they have a Taco Bell there I believe. I was a regular at the Basildon branch when I worked there, it's lovely but obviously terrible- proper #EATCLEAN material.

The first one in the Uk at that (when the relaunched after failing in the 80's). Up stairs in the food court next to Primark. Almost directly 2 floors above wimpy

• Paid Members

I took my daughter's Dutch boyfriend for his first Wimpy last weekend. He had the jalapeno burger because he didn't know any better, whereas I had the Megaburger (cheeseburger and bender combo).

Wait, this is a thing? Off to Lakeside later so may investigate this megaburger. Just for #eatclean research of course...
It's superior to the standard bender, because the bender leaves an empty space in the middle, resulting in you biting into an (often surprisingly) cold piece of tomato. By having a burger occupy the entire floor space 'neath the bender, temperature and greasy, tasteful consistency is maintained.

Well that was, errr, interesting. Firstly like all the 'cleanest' burgers there's no vegetables except a few platic-like bits of onion at the bottom. No green stuff and, most importantly, no nasty tomatoes. Winning so far.

The Bender is, for the uninitiated, the best food ever invented. The burger was structured in such a way that the cheese was melted onto the Bender rather than the patty which was ok but meant that the middle Bender-less bit was just bland generic patty with a ridiculous amount of cold ketchup. Now I'm a big ketchup fan but it was like they tried to fill the whole Bender-gap with almost freezer temperature ketchup and it was a bit too much.

Overall it was fairly good, and the chips were actually really good, but next time i think it's Taco-time. Secial mention to the total lack of vegetables, not even any garnish on the plate.

Ive tried to host an image but not sure if it has worked:

https://postimg.org/image/5gows80u3/