Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

I didn't realise we could post such dull shit here! Nice!

TIL the Rhondda River has two sources. The Rhondda Fach (Small Rhondda) and Rhondda Fawr (Large Rhondda) converge at Porth to form the Rhondda proper. 

Edited by King Coconut
Next thing you know you're getting their hair and they nails done.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

I didn't realise we could post such dull shit here! Nice!

TIL the Rhondda River has two sources. The Rhondda Fach (Small Rhondda) and Rhondda Fawr (Large Rhondda) converge at Porth to form the Rhondda proper. 

Now this is interesting to me - I know that "bach" and "mawr" are Welsh for "small" and "big", so what's happened here? Is it something like what happens in the Gaelic languages, where beginning consonants are lenited and change their sounds when their nouns become an object in a sentence? 

@garynysmon?

Edited by Carbomb

35 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Now this is interesting to me - I know that "bach" and "mawr" are Welsh for "small" and "big", so what's happened here? Is it something like what happens in the Gaelic languages, where beginning consonants are lenited and change their sounds when their nouns become an object in a sentence? 

@garynysmon?

It's all about the gender of the preceding word. I believe feminine requires the F.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

KRS ONE claiming it stood for Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly Everybody always annoyed me, but he's so pretentious I believe him.

Wu-Tang standing for Witty, Unpredictable Talent And Natural Game is another one which I'm pretty sure GZA made up in a song years after their debut but RZA pretends has always been the case.

16 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Wu-Tang standing for Witty, Unpredictable Talent And Natural Game is another one which I'm pretty sure GZA made up in a song years after their debut but RZA pretends has always been the case.

GZA also came up with BIBLE (Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth) the cringey bastard.

Guru was also Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal (emcees that ain't equipped get flipped in my circle) which reminds me of when 16yo Bacon went to some sort of club night in my FUBU cap, and was asked if I knew what it meant.

I replied "yeah For Us By Us, meaning the hip hop community" before being politely informed it meant the black community, and I took it off and never wore it again.

I've just died inside at that interaction and my response. MC Baconbits really thought he was down like that.

5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Ah, I see. My language receptors thank you.

It's more complicated than that, but essentially your initial instinct was correct since Gaelic and the Brythonic languages (which include Breton and Cornish) are all Celtic at the end of the day.

Essentially, feminine adjective require a soft "mutation" (treiglad meddal) which changes the first letter of certain words, and it just so happens that in this instance both 'B' and 'M' turn into an 'F'. Other types of morphology exist but have a narrower range of triggers. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Fog Dude said:

It's more complicated than that, but essentially your initial instinct was correct since Gaelic and the Brythonic languages (which include Breton and Cornish) are all Celtic at the end of the day.

Essentially, feminine adjective require a soft "mutation" (treiglad meddal) which changes the first letter of certain words, and it just so happens that in this instance both 'B' and 'M' turn into an 'F'. Other types of morphology exist but have a narrower range of triggers. 

That's the thing, though - I thought the Goidelic/Brythonic divide excluded any kind of mutation in the latter, so it's interesting to find out there is a version of that after all.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Carbomb said:

@garynysmon?

Its mutation. Their use is one of those things that as a first language speaker just sound right or wrong when you hear/read them, but the rules surrounding mutation are probably the hardest to learn as a learner and getting them mixed up is usually a giveaway that they’ve learnt the language later on in life (not that they’re not totally intelligible anyway or that we want to discourage anyone learning!)

You assumed correctly, its a Celtic thing. 

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Welsh/Mutations

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Its mutation. Their use is one of those things that as a first language speaker just sound right or wrong when you hear/read them, but the rules surrounding mutation are probably the hardest to learn as a learner and getting them mixed up is usually a giveaway that they’ve learnt the language later on in life (not that they’re not totally intelligible anyway or that we want to discourage anyone learning!)

You assumed correctly, its a Celtic thing. 

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Welsh/Mutations

Currently in the middle of learning Indonesian Bahasa (want to visit there in the next couple of years), but I've always wanted to learn Welsh, so will probably do that next on Duolingo (such a good app).