Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Birmingham has approximately 35 miles worth of stretches of canals - apparently this is more than Venice. 

Venice has more per sq mile though, I think, but Birmingham has more over a wider boundary.

I've never been to Venice but I'd like to think thier canal paths are also lined with tramps and drunks getting sucked off on a Saturday night.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

I've never been to Venice but I'd like to think thier canal paths are also lined with tramps and drunks getting sucked off on a Saturday night.

Only in Italy can a city that stinks of shit in the summer, and that is slowly sinking into the sea be considered a romantic destination. No one pretends that Brum is romantic, even the Saturday night towpath denizens. 

• Paid Members

Yesterday I learned that back in 1984, Robert Altman made a speculative fiction film about Richard Nixon. It's a one man show, one location film that imagines Nixon losing his mind in his study while pretending to give a deposition about his role in Watergate. Nixon is played by UKFF favourite Philip Baker Hall and it could be his greatest ever performance, joy boy.

No idea how I'd never heard of this before (I'm a huge Altman and Hall fan) but it's really excellent and unusual.

The other day I learned that Freddie Prinze Jr was once a WWE writer, and was apparently quite highly regarded, and nearly head of creative or Smackdown. 

I suppose it stands to reason that people in TV/Film could work in wrestling but I was still surprised. 

• Paid Members

St John, Newfoundland (the most easterly place in North America) is closer to Dublin than it is to Vancouver.