Reasons being a grown up absolutely sucks.

SpursRiot2012

Being a grown up is amazing. There were good things about being a kid but I wouldn't trade any of them for my big-boy's wage, entry into pubs/clubs, driving licence, the touch of a sweet lady, my own place, deciding when I go to bed, etc.

I dont know, I can barely make it past midnight without drifting off on the sofa (if its been a long/busy day Im gone well before 11pm). As I kid I could stay up until 3-4 in the morning and be up bright and early.

I went into a club for the first time in a few years before Christmas. My ears!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy being an adult, I do however hate being perceived as responsible. The fact people just assume they can rely on me for things is whats annoying. It ends up with helping someone move, driving someone to an airport, or going through the process of lending someone money.

Oh and I hate going to a store and only buying all the mundane stuff like toiletries, washing up liquid and stuff which is needed. You're spending money on stuff you can't enjoy!

• Paid Members

Hair receding and thinning by the day, thanks genetics.

Also, just the feeling of constantly thinking about the future. I don't want to think about marriage and kids and mortgages but my anxiety-riddled little mind is always saying "c'mon, time's a tickin'"

I just generally hate responsibility, be it work, family, relationship etc. I like doing things on my own terms and in my own time and as adult there's always someone relying on you for one thing or another.

Being and adult would be good if it wasn't for all the proper adults.

• Paid Members

Does anyone else feel like they are just pretending to be a adult? I'm 27, married, got a place and a job with a fair bit of responsibility but I still feel like I'm 15. I keep feeling like I'm going to do something stupid and everyone will see through the facade.

Just being able to fuck about with your mates all day. Take a ball to the park, kiss lassies, hang about outside all day/night.

Also, no longer getting excited. Nothing excites me, even within my interests. Wrestling doesn't excite me, football, Christmas/ Birthdays. I can't help but be a miserable bastard. I want to get excited for things, but just cant

• Paid Members

I'm 22 and living in student accomodation. I have the whole growing up thing to look forward too, the joys of uni and all that. For example while people are worrying about work and money and family, I'm currently dressed as a woman about to be on the panel of our Uni's Take Me Out knowing I only have to roll into work at Midday tomorrow.

Uni life rules.

There's definitely a certain innocence of being a child that is blasted apart by your mid to late teens let alone adulthood. Yet at the same time I reckon being a child these days has less innocence attached to it compared to say 20 years ago in that they are forced to "grow up" quicker. I think a lot of young adults these days haven't been given enough time to enjoy their childhood and transition through their teenage years. As a consequence a lot of young adults even into their mid twenties if not older still have trouble with emotionally handling their lives because they weren't given the chance to experience handling growing up when they were younger with the comfort of youth and less responsibilities for them to handle - rather they were thrown in at the deep end and told to get on with it.

• Paid Members

You have to work. This wouldnt be a bad problem, but the money you get from working you cant spend on figures to play with them with your mates. It has to be on real life stuff. I wish I still had a group of mates who'd come over to play Royal Rumble with a load of figures.

If anyone fancies it, they can pop over mine. I wont judge as long as you dont.

I'm kind of glad that I'm not a grown up yet. By that I mean at 18 you're an adult, but you're not a grown up until you have kids, a mortgage and similar responsibilities. I mean I have a job and associated bills, but I am still only responsible for myself and haven't got a small person that I need to feed and make sure that they don't die. A big part of this is because whilst I am in my mid thirties, mentally I am still 21 and still not responsible enough for all that shit.

• Paid Members

Does anyone else feel like they are just pretending to be a adult?

Yes. I've technically got a job and my own place, can drive a car and have even had some sex. Not much, but some. And yet, I've got nothing to show for my adulthood, which has been going on for quite a while now, and I can easily see getting to 40 and thinking "No, still nothing to show for it." I struggle to do almost anything that most "real grown-ups" can do, and quite often at work I talk to customers that I can tell are pretty important in their company, or colleagues who are married homeowners with kids, and I have a good ten years on them. I felt grown up once, but that evaporated, and now I feel fairly useless and regressed to a childlike state. The only things I want to do in my free time are drink, watch rasslin or football, go and buy comics or bash the bishop.

I never do anything productive, am loathe to do anything that requires dressing in anything but jeans/trainers/t-shirt, am in awe of other people that can do the simplest things, and maybe it's just because I'm living alone for the first time, but without mother/girlfriend/housemates, I generally think the world's coming to an end when something happens like waking up to no hot water in the flat, because there isn't a real adult around to tell me what I'm supposed to do. Worst of all, while I didn't really give a shit about being single my whole life until I was 23 and fell into a long-term relationship, at 32 it feels like the worst feeling there is. Not especially the being single, but realizing that there's no way out of it. I have never been much good at getting together with people in that way, and right now I've never had less to offer in terms of financial viability or any kind of future security. I can't even afford, really, to take a girl out for a single decent date, never mind be considered for a proper relationship. I'm fucked, and having a new batch of work friends that are early-mid 20somethings that have everything seemingly sorted out, it's depressing as fuck.

Still, might be getting a new role soon and be making more money. That's a start. If it comes off, wonder what I'll wank the extra money away on?

The trick is to have mates who hsve kids so you can go round their place and play with their kid's toys without all the responsibility. For example over Christmas I spent ages helping my mate's son put together his Minecraft Lego. Never mind my own collection of Star Wars Lego plus Delorean and Ecto 1.

Archived