Reasons being a grown up absolutely sucks.

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

I've done a lot of stuff in my life, but a knock on effect is that if I dropped dead tonight, I'd have about ten people at my funeral, and a couple of suitcases of worthless possessions

I reckon I'd have 20-30 people (most of whom are there for the piss-up more than anything else) and exactly one holdall containing my life.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Ignorance, I miss that. I mean I'm probably still ignorant to a lot of things but I'm now aware of how fucked up we are in terms of religion, poverty, geopolitics, global warming etc, and rather than try to right anything, we seem to be putting our foot to floor so that we go out in a burning blaze of glory. It angers me that we live in a world were, in most countries, it's acceptable to see two men holding guns but not hands. Never thought about shit like that when I was suplexing my brother through my gran's bed.

Two things that really get me as an adult now- an overwhelming sense of responsibility and not having the means to handle it. I've become my mum's carer basically, she was diagnosed with Mito at the age of 40. So I went straight from being a teenager to having another human being to look after. I'm in my mid 20s, just finished uni and looking for work, but have to take my mum's health into consideration, so I can't go too far out. Seeing everyone around me progress to moving out of home, getting great jobs, and in some cases, getting married and having kids... it's rough that I have the responsibilities of an adult and the resources of a kid. It's super frustrating at the moment to have put a lot of work in to get to my chosen field- lots of volunteering as well as uni stuff- and nothing's come to fruition.

What I'd love to do is get a house in the same suburb as my mum and have my independence, but still be able to go back and help out when needed. She keeps saying to not worry about her and do my own thing, but she can't realistically look after herself. I tried it by moving over to the UK for a couple of months, and while the work itself had its issues, one of the biggest factors in returning to Australia was talking to Mum on Skype and seeing what a wreck she was.

My biggest fear is that I'll be stuck in my current situation. I'm applying for as many jobs and handing out as many CVs as I can, but if I'm not working, I'll be stuck at home for years to come. And it's not a free ride living at home either, we go halves in the bills using our disability pension. It's like having a house mate- that can't do anything for themselves. Talk about a rut to be in!

• Paid Members

As a kid I could name a starting XI for every club in the top 2-3 leagues, a good chunk of players from the lower leagues and most top European sides.

Now Id struggle to name a starting XI for each Premiership team.

I'd struggle to name the Rangers side right now, and I was Rangers mental in my youth.

As a kid I could name a starting XI for every club in the top 2-3 leagues, a good chunk of players from the lower leagues and most top European sides.

Now Id struggle to name a starting XI for each Premiership team.

I'd struggle to name the Rangers side right now, and I was Rangers mental in my youth.

I think we just have selective memory these days as none of current team will need remembered

• Paid Members

I was up early to do some freelance work for money that will go to paying off a couple of bills — stretched out longer than I thought, though, so now I can afford some new Dunlop trainers, and I treated us to a couple of whopping great steaks for Valentine's Day. There's the upside and downside of adultivity at the same time.

I was up early to do some freelance work for money that will go to paying off a couple of bills — stretched out longer than I thought, though, so now I can afford some new Dunlop trainers, and I treated us to a couple of whopping great steaks for Valentine's Day. There's the upside and downside of adultivity at the same time.

Are Dunlop cool? Ellesse are back in fashion now. I don't have a clue what's going on.

• Paid Members

I have no idea — I've always worn them. I reckon they have the best quality-to-cost ratio out there. Talk about not being an adult... I was almost giddy with joy that my 64 year old mum has enough catalogue commission to pay for three (three!) pairs of trainers for me when I visit. Along with the dunlops, I'll be able to spend a whole year without water running in through my soles. Although, last time she bought me a pair of Kappas, some pezzy bastard stole them from outside of our apartment door.

Jokes on them. No, wait. Jokes on me.

Main difference I've found is that as a kid, you could convince yourself that things were going to be better in the future. Hope, that's what that's called. Dead now.

What age are you? I'm struggling with the fact that on Valentines Day I'm alone eating Space Invaders posting on a pro wrestling forum.

Archived