WWE Fast Lane Discussion *SPOILERS*

Bosco Blick

• Paid Members

This was an odd show. The matches in the first 2/3 of the show were awful, and from people who should be doing much better. Worse still, little was actually resolved and it felt like a glorified episode of Raw or Smackdown.

The two big angles were brilliantly done. It was shocking that the Sting-HHH angle was from the same people that brought us that shitty DQ in the IC title match.

The two mains delivered in-ring but were not without their issues. The finish of the Rusev-Cena match left a little to be desired and it feels like they only have two ideas for "Rusev beating a star" finishes.

And the main, with their damn insistence on pushing Reigns to his inevitable boo-doom at Wrestlemania, seemed to have a problem with the sound throughout and especially at the finish when the announcers could be heard but the music and any crowd reaction not. Almost as if they faded the crowd down for some reason. Nothing like telling a percentage of the WWE universe (and one that spends big money) that they're not a part of the show..

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rusev's facials are great. His spinning heel kick is great. He's so good that if they drop the ball with him post Mania I actually wouldn't mind seeing him lead an Unamerican stable come survivor series. Him, Kidd, Cesaro and some other evil foreigner, probably Barrett would make a fun little group if they end up fucking Rusev in to the midcard.

That's the first show I've watched spoiler free for a while and I thought it was pretty good. I echo some of the points already posted re: the early portion of the show - specifically the finish of the opening six man, but I thought the main event was cracking. It feels like Bryan's Yes Movement is less organic than last year and forced upon us, but he still got the best singles match I've seen Reigns involved in.

I don't get why the fans are against Reigns so much. I know he's been given some shit material in promos since his return, but since the Rumble he's done everything he's been asked to do pretty well. His power moves are believable and his mannerisms are fine too. He's basically playing the same character as he did when he was generating massive pops in The Shield - but because it's cool to boo a babyface he gets some right grief.

I think he needs to be positioned against a genuinely unlikeable heel (rather than Kane and Show who generate fuck off heat). Who that is, I've no idea. Maybe he goes over Brock and turns himself at Wrestlemania. Maybe WWE can pull off the Cena turn with Reigns - whilst Cena is still around. Cena can then remain the merch machine, whilst Reigns plays the Batista role of a few years back and is bitter against the fans for booing him.

In conclusion, I've no idea.

Was able to watch the main event live, I quite enjoyed it from a straight wrestling standpoint, but I can't help but think the direction of Bryan and Reigns over the past month have sabotaged both guys rather than getting crowds to cheer Reigns over Bryan. The Memphis crowd seemed to prefer Bryan, but the reaction for him was lukewarm compared to last year. When your new Wrestlemania main eventer comes second best in babyface reaction to a guy getting a decent at best reaction (overpushed "Yes!" chants aside), there's a significant problem. The reaction for either guy did not befit a WWE main eventer.

Caught bits and pieces of the rest. The finish to the opener- had it spoiled that Orton returned, so was watching for that. The crowd just went silent when Ziggler got pinned, no heat for Kane or Show, just straight apathy. Great to have Orton finally back, he seems re-energised.

The Triple H vs. Sting segment was very good. I don't think people in 2015 give much of a fuck about WCW as a brand, or maybe it was just the Memphis crowd being shit again. What I've read online leans towards the former though.

The Wyatt segment was effective if a bit predictable. The cynic in me said, "They're not bringing Taker back during the free Network PPV."

Most of all, I liked the fact that they've made so many Mania matches, both directly and indirectly. Hopefully, the next 5 weeks of TV are strong with the clear direction in place.

• Paid Members

Strong points for me were the Undertaker/Wyatt bait, the Sting/HHH confrontation (guy in the audience trying to start an awkward "WCW" chant aside), Rusev winning in a fairly decisive manner, and Stardust's post-match promo.
The rest was entirely miss-able, and I went to sleep as the main event started as I couldn't care less who won.

• Paid Members

Decent show. The two main events were pretty spot on with the stories they told. The dirty Russians cheating their way to victory and Reigns gutting it out for a hard fought victory over Bryan, followed by a handshake.

My only issue is Reigns really doesn't feel like he has any sort of crazy momentum, which one expects when the new top star is on the rise. It's a shame, because they are absolutely spot on with the Lesnar half of this build. Hopefully in the next few weeks they can get Reigns going. Of course, "momentum" is a bit subjective, but the crowd aren't reacting to him like he's a big big deal. To WWE's credit, they are all in with this, so you expect/hope they'll get it right eventually.

Sting v Triple H once again kept up the high standard. Sting's ring jacket being the highlight of the show.

Yeah, thought the top two matches were very good.

Will Sting get to outline his motivation now though, or are they running with "he's avenging the loss of WCW!"? The commentators pretty much told the same story as HHH, which I found bewildering. Surely the story is Sting standing up against the injustice of the crooked HHH regime.

Archived