Worst Runs

LEGIT

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's mad now to think of someone that lowly going to the WWF and only having a minor name tweak like that.

How did it work in the old days in terms of who'd keep their name/gimmick and who'd get one off the Titan shelf? Was it purely a case of whether Vince liked what you were already doing, or was it to do with how big a star you were and how much clout you had for keeping it? They did their makeovers on the likes of Harley Race, Ted DiBiase and Dusty Rhodes but kept the names. Flair didn't change a thing in New York. Luger got a new name (mostly... For a bit) and a new character. So did Mr Perfect.

That Acolytes match v Public Enemy was my therapy in my old job wo4king on the phones. If i had a bad call then i would watch a swift 5 minutes of Bradshaw cracking skulls and it soothed my soul and prepared me for the next nob head i had to speak too.

That match was on WWE.com suprisingly with no editing.

• Paid Members

Yeah, my first WWF tape was Survivor Series 88 and I was confused that Mr Perfect was called Curt something, didn't have one of his wonderful singlets and had shit, short curly hair. Oh and when he got the win he didn't have music, do they played La Marseillaise.

• Paid Members

Its seemed a mix of ego, controlling the asset and filling a gap in the show from what I recall reading over the years.

Sometimes its to help some one stand out or develop a more base character or compensate for a hidden charisma. Some times its on licencing, but i get the impression Wwe are stricter on keeping full control in all eventualities now.

Some times it is to show who's in charge and assert a dominance, it doesn't matter if you ran X or booked Y, we are in charge now. Well, they change the gimmick or shit in your hat, one or the other.

Its not always worked but it does seem to be that way.

How desperate they are at the time and how much pull you have elsewhere seemed to always come up on shoots and interview too.

How could Giant Gonzalez have been better do you think? Starting by getting rid of that ridiculous bodysuit, obviously

There's nothing that would've made Gonzalez better. There's not much you can do with a guy that could only land clubbing blows to the back and keep someone in a choke hold for the majority of a match.

• Paid Members

A big beard and unkempt hair would have been a start. Put him in gear that hides his relative slenderness. And DQ him for savagery every time he steps in the ring until he finally faces your champion. Oh, and PCP.

• Paid Members

They could have had a few more established workers bumping around for him on TV. He only fought jobbers. Even three on one it wasn't that impressive. He was shit but they didn't really give anyone a reason to think he wasn't. Look how they booked Khali in comparison. Different time and all but that told us Khali was better than this guy and that guy. All we knew about Gonzalez was that he was taller than the Undertaker.

Archived