Worst Runs

LEGIT

Randy Savage had a pretty awful TNA run. Test's wasn't much to write home about either.

The worst WWE run I can think of which hasn't already been mentioned is Scott Steiner's 2002-03 spell.

What exactly did Randy Savage do in TNA? I was always under the impression it was a one off thing? Was it actually a run?

As for Steiner, it was strange, somehow he convinced wwe he was an A-List star and arrived under so much hype. He made plenty of money from all reports also

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hardcore Holly's WWE run for the title in 2004 was another bad one. Interesting promos but just flopped as a main guy. 

Would most people not consider that to be Holly's best run?

Not at all. Apart from the pop he recieved when he returned chair in hand to clatter Brock with. That run was pretty redundant and short lived.

Holly's best run was probably 1999/2000. The comedy stuff with Crash was mega over during the height of the company's popularity and he was having solid matches with the likes of Jericho and Benoit. It looked like his career was about to take off before Angle snapped his arm in half. By the time he returned he was down the pecking order and lost in the shuffle again.

Barry Windham as The Widow Maker, prime example of how to take a very good worker, give him a dumb ass gimmick and watch him "try" to make it work. If they had done something with Wndham similar to his NWA days, then he could have done much, much more.

Lets not even get started with The New Blackjacks.........................................................................

Randy Savage had a pretty awful TNA run. Test's wasn't much to write home about either.

The worst WWE run I can think of which hasn't already been mentioned is Scott Steiner's 2002-03 spell.

What exactly did Randy Savage do in TNA? I was always under the impression it was a one off thing? Was it actually a run?

As for Steiner, it was strange, somehow he convinced wwe he was an A-List star and arrived under so much hype. He made plenty of money from all reports also

He joined to rise against TNA's version of The Kings Of Wrestling (Jarrett, Nash and Hall) after they cost Jeff Hardy the title at Victory Road 2004. He had a match at Turning Point teaming with Hardy and AJ Styles. I think the plan for Savage was for him to become No.1 Condender at the next PPV, win the title from Jarrett and drop it back at the one after that, but it got pulled due to health concerns.

He was an A-List star.  Listen to the reaction when he turns up.  The first half of his feud with HHH was ace.

There were two problems with that WWE run - 

- he wasn't fully fit.  He persuaded them that he was, but he was clearly still suffering from his drop foot issues and was not in ring condition.  A good few years later, when he arrived in TNA, he had much better matches

- they didn't protect him, or more likely noticed the above and decided to bury him.  That Royal Rumble match is way too long for a first match back, and Steiner is expected to carry too much of it.  Plus HHH looks like he sandbags quite a bit.

I don't think anyone really wanted him to succeed, similar to Goldberg, DDP et al.  You do wonder why they bothered in some respect.

Barry Windham as The Widow Maker, prime example of how to take a very good worker, give him a dumb ass gimmick and watch him "try" to make it work. If they had done something with Wndham similar to his NWA days, then he could have done much, much more.

Lets not even get started with The New Blackjacks.........................................................................

If you're going to talk Barry Windham surely you have to mention his successful "The Stalker" gimmick. The only way most fans will remeber this character is because of his appearance at the 1996 Survivor Series when he was a member of Marc Mero's team.

• Paid Members

I thought most of Crush's WWF runs were total pish to be honest. 

Back in early 93, he'd have been a contender for the run Lex Luger got but ended up as Mr Fuji's lackey and faded into obscurity. I hated the biker gimmick even more.

Thankfully he redeemed himself as Kronik, but the WWE didn't really want the WCW wrestlers to succeed there either. I still don't feel that match against Kane and the Undertaker was particularly their fault.

Crush%20Brian%20Adams.jpg

If you're going to talk Barry Windham surely you have to mention his successful "The Stalker" gimmick. The only way most fans will remeber this character is because of his appearance at the 1996 Survivor Series when he was a member of Marc Mero's team.

See I forgot that, that's how un-memorable that is.

Archived