Full-on gimmicks

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Mystic Meg, she ever done anything out of character? I'd say Uri Gellar was more legit insane, than an actual gimmick. The bloke is genuinely mentally ill.

Also throwing in Christopher Biggins and Brian Conley, a man who is 24/7 in cruise ship/light entertainer mode.

Edited by WWFChilli

Speaking of antiques, we can't ignore Woy's bird:

Lauren-Harries-2232257.jpg

Bursting on to screens generations ago not even realising he was a gimmick, then turned lady and brought it to the mainstream. THEN reaches the tail end of her career and has a Pillman moment, getting so good at working everybody, even those in the industry, that the line between reality and fiction is forever blurred and she's got Big Brother $$$s 4 life in one form or another.

Has Gogglebox held up since the first series then? I loved that, but sacked it off when the same people were advertised for the second series because I didn't think it would be possible to replicate the quality when they were 'trying' to play up to the way they'd previously been broadcast. The merit for me was the idea of voyeuristically people-watching whilst some people talk telly with each other, rather than "My favourite is the gay lad, or the Lilt ladies, they're DAFT!'. Concept rather than characters.

• 5 years later...

I’m amazed we’ve got this far in the thread without any mention of Boris Johnson. He’s managed to take his ‘bumbling oaf’ act all the way to Number 10. 

Whatever you think of that self-serving disgrace of a human being, he has to, sadly, be one of the most successful gimmicks of all time.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Has anyone ever banked on a gimmick as an earner and failed like Katie Hopkins has? Bankrupt and unemployable. Surely that wasnt the end game?

Even Piers Moron breaks character to call her a bell end apparently.