Full-on gimmicks

IANdrewDiceClay

• Moderators

I can personally attest that Brian Blessed IS Brian Blessed. He nearly crushed my hand with a handshake and snapped my spine with a back slap when I was 9 and he was on holiday here. His voice was loud, his laughter infectious, his personality great. He holidays up and always remembered my name. Last time I saw him up here (he comes annually for the Eisteddfod but I don't go to pubs he does, but my dad does and they're barflies) I was 19, bearded, and he still went "AHHHHHHHHHHH! GARETH!!!!" and nearly punched out one of my lungs.

He's always on, but in a good way.

EDIT: Get me, namedropping, but Johnny's gimmick in public is different to having a quiet pint or stressing about deadlines.

Edited by PowerButchi

For all his camped up gimmickry I've always thought Dale Winton was one of those self loathing gays who probably goes on those mental Christian 'straightening up' programmes.

I'd be gutted if I met Steve McDonald and he wasn't a gurning buffoon.

• Paid Members
Here's a thought, is Katie Hopkins queen of the gimmick workers? She is so pro-wrestling. Plays us like fiddles, never drops the facade. She knows what she's doing too. Great gimmick, always keeps her in work for a controversial sound byte, then gets that money Rollin in. A real carny gimmick worker.

Isnt she just.

Whats makes me laugh is how people really really hate her, she just jumps from one topic to another working out what the worst thing she can say is and then shouting it from the roof tops

70s and 80s Britcoms are full of them. Ruth Madoc did the whole HI DE HI schtick wherever she was on TV too.

Giles Brandreth is living a gimmick surely? Verbose, upper class, jumper wearer. He's the same on Dictionary Corner as he was on the news as a politico. Kind of a dry run for Boris Johnson.

Also, Paul DANGEROUS Danan is one of the best TV gimmick workers ever. He is Sol off Hollyoaks turned up to 11.

I saw Gyles Brandreth at a just a minute recording last year. He seemed to be nursing some kind of back injury as every bow and then you'd see his facade crack and the briefest of pained expressions play out on his face but when he was talking on a subject or challenging he was incredible. To use wrestling terms he carried the show and put everyone else over while doing it. He heeled it up in the 'love to hate' way and you'd have thought he was a star of the stage the way he worked the crowd. Which was surprising considering how unsuccessful he was as a politician. He's a way better performer than Boris. That's what gets my goat about Boris supporters, I know he's the comedy sideshow act but he's not even that good a performer and his bumbling moron act is both obviously an act and not all that versatile. My ex voted for him because of the hair. He's that kind of performer. Like a Michael McIntyre, if you shaved him bald he'd have nothing but a jerky head. At least Gyles is a more dynamic performer.

Paul Daniels is another one - he was a proper 80s entertainer with his catchphrases and gimmicks. Even now he's still going full-bore like that, though I think in private he's quite different, a real scholar they say.

To be honest, anyone who's in showbusiness like magicians, presenters... they always sell on the gimmick. Look at Ant and Dec - they've spun out being PJ and Duncan into a lifelong gig.

• Paid Members

Not sure if it counts, but Roy Keane has managed to carry his "he's a bit of a nutter" aura/gimmick into his post-playing career punditry gig. I don't think there is ever a game where you don't get the feeling Keane is on the verge of ripping out the voice box of every man and woman in the studio.

Taz never managed that.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
I reckon if you caught Timmy Mallet in a grey suit ad tie, he'd kill you with Pinky Punky to protect his gimmick, and then defend himself in court via word association.

Apparently even Rod Hull's family had never seen both of his arms at once.

Funnily enough, Timmy Mallet was at Tannadice Park for Dundee Utd vs Celtic the other weekend. How random.

BkeJwuzIgAA1UY0.jpg

Here's a thought, is Katie Hopkins queen of the gimmick workers? She is so pro-wrestling. Plays us like fiddles, never drops the facade. She knows what she's doing too. Great gimmick, always keeps her in work for a controversial sound byte, then gets that money Rollin in. A real carny gimmick worker.

Hopkins is one of the best heels going. Manages to troll Jeremy Kyle viewers/guests and Che Guevarra idolisers at the same time, nearly every time. The whole argument about kids' names with the India twist proved she's willing to show arse when the angle calls for it as well. When it comes to dickheads in the media, she's got way more value than the likes of Laurie Penny.

Edited by King Pitcos