The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

Figured to chuck this in hear. For maybe a week now I've been struggling with my hearing from my left ear, specifically. Weird to describe but it started out where hearing anything else was fine, yet whenever I spoke it sounded really clogged and difficult. It's now just gotten to the point where it's becoming difficult to hear unless somebody is stood pretty close, otherwise they end up repeating themselves over and over. I've been using olive oil drops for potential ear wax for a week or so, yet noticed no improvement. Any advice? Keep on with the drops or get it checked by the doctor?

I have terrible issues with my ears and wax build up. I'd say that for half a year, I have around 50% hearing in my left ear. So syringing is the best possible thing you can do. Wait until you do it the first time. The black shit that comes out of your ears is terrifying and then you'll spend the trip home confirming your own hearing by saying Hello to yourself over and over. At least I did 

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll book something tomorrow. At first I thought it was just part of a cold, because I don't usually get much of a wax build up but the cold has passed and the hearing trouble is still here. Whenever I'm talking it sounds like there's some echo or some shit in my head. Very odd and hopefully will get it sorted sharpish.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I mean, it depends how quickly you want to do it. A 10km isn't that far, really. You could walk it in under two hours.

If you wanted to run it though, I'd start with doing Couch to 5km, which is about a 9 week training schedule. Once you can run without stopping for half an hour without stopping, you'll be surprised at how quickly you can increase that length and distance. Let's say four months of dedicated training to get to a respectable level of fitness.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought a fitbit Charge 2 which I've fallen in love with. Tracks workouts, steps, heart rate, calories burned etc. and is a nice constant reminder to keep going.

I was a shocking, struggles-with-stairs, 18st 10lbs six weeks ago when I decided I needed to sort this shit out. Weighed in this morning at 16st 9lbs. I'll take that every day of the week.

• Paid Members

That's brilliant progress Daz, especially in only a few weeks, well done mate!

I got a Fitbit blaze for my birthday last year, and it certainly does encourage you to get active where possible. I do find myself going for a walk at lunch or going the long way home form the train station to hit my target for the day, which can only be a good thing I reckon.   

Psychotic episodes are a whole ton of fun, aren't they? Been hearing voices and they increased massively a month ago and convinced me to top myself.  They are really charming fuckers and I believed them when they were telling me that people would be better off in the long run without me.

My girlfriend unexpectedly came home as I was about 50 pills to the good with about 50 still to go, she called 999 and kept me semi conscious for 44 minutes until they arrived. Pro tip, don't use alcohol to wash them down with or you'll throw up and it won't work.

In hospital for a while and was released back into the wild under the care of the mental health unit.  Had an evaluation with the first response team who said I didn't meet their threshold as they mainly deal with residential care, I think that means sectioning, so back to the primary care unit I go.  Apparently I might have psychotic depression which sounds lovely.

These illnesses are liars, lads.  They are charming and convincing, but they are liars.