The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

I'd get to the gym and strengthen your legs, core and balance and carry on with the squash and footy If you enjoy it. I had mine done 7 years ago and the only thing that's made a jot of difference is weight loss and training. In fairness im resigned to having dodgy knees forever though.

• 2 weeks later...

Righty, This may be a long one as thinking out loud and would value some input from you guys
So, currently, my outside training is thus,

4x20 leg press (cantilever is my own weight. So around 90-95kgs)

10 mins high intensity recumbent bike

4x20 obliques

5 mins hand bike with 30 second blasts

1x4 dips

2x6 'cheat' pull ups.. I was crouched using my arms to pull me up on the low bar

1x real pull up, because,, er I suck lol

4x6 shoulder press 1 rep with legs grounded, next with legs not (cantilever is my own weight. So around 90-95kgs)

4x6 lateral press (same as above)

5 mins cross trainer. with 30 second blasts.

New Exercise for when not on outdoor gym or doing 1km/1m with sprints is...... a mixture of cardio and light weights that should make a difference, without too much bulking.

2 sets of these (will be increasing to 3) as warm up/HiiT

20 High Lunges
20 High Squats
20 Dead Lift Twists
20 Rotations
20 Leg swing and lift
20 Arm Rotations
10 Plank Knee Ins (Mountain Climber)
10 Upwards Dog
10 Super Woman Stretches.
2 mins rest

Then...

A kettlebell burner..

3 sets of these, starting at 4 reps, then 8, then 12 (looking to 16)

- Kettlebell Deadlifts
- Kettlebell Swings
- Goblin Squats
- Push Presses..
2mins rest, then
Russian twists until I drop.. (well about 4 mins)

It's a mix of everything, plenty of cardio work in there ( is there? i'm a sweaty mess afterwards) and not crazy on the weights as is only 8 kg Kb I'm using.
I'm not looking to weight gain or bulk as, too much muscle building will produce a shed load of T and counteract transition. Instead looking for tone, flexibility, stamina and increase in strength, core strength and overall fitness.
So, any good?

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

A couple of people have mentioned Slimming World in the 'The Best Thing You've Won...' thread so I thought I'd resurrect this one to keep things going.

I started 10 weeks ago and have lost 16lbs so far. I'm really pleased as I'd tried other stuff (gym, personal trainer, etc.) and it wasn't working so I can see now that it was obviously my diet. I thought I was eating OK and it turns out that I wasn't eating that bad but having the pressure of the weekly meetings just makes sure I don't go off the rails.

I used to have hospital appointments every 6-8 weeks where I was weighed but there was too much time in between and I'd screw around with what I was eating. The pressure wasn't realised until about two weeks before, by which time there was no way I could be good to show them I was trying (because I wasn't).

Last week I wore size 18 trousers. It was the first time I'd fitted into that size in 18 years!

So, I've lost one of Digby's arms. Hooray! King of Hamptons, how long did it take for you to lose 9st? And TAFKAC, I've only tried two of the recipes as I'm rubbish with cooking (I can cook, I just can't be arsed!) but which ones would you recommend as well as the curry? I don't eat rice or pasta and not much potato ether.

• Paid Members

What's the required commitment for time and money each week?

I like the idea to help me drop some weight and keep me focused, especially now I'm back on the pills and just cant subdue my appetite, but don't want to be turning up 30% of the time I should if I don't have the see free time around college, the veg in the garden or the gym I currently do.

• Paid Members

I paid for 12 weeks up front and it was £54 or something like that. I think it's £5.95 each week normally. You get weighed once a week then you can stick around for the class after where you just exchange tips and have a chat really. Sometimes people will bring in things they've made too for you to try. You don't have to stay but I kinda like it.

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members

Well done Monkee! Over a stone in 10 weeks is good going.

My sister has been doing Slimming World for a while now and she's lost 4st. I'm not sure exactly how long she's been doing it but I'm sure it's been less than a year. She'd tried all sorts of diets to lose weight since she had her 3 kids but, as her back is fucked, she's limited to what exercise she can do. Slimming World is the one diet that she's found works and had the best results from. She swears by it. Like with anything you still need willpower but it's working for her.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

All anti-depressants are liable to cause drowsiness unfortunately Tommy. Your prescriber may choose to lower your dose or try you on another SSRI. I don't know what your local areas policys are but from my neck of the woulds they would try you on Fluoxetine then Citalopram.

I have heard mention of Venlafaxine apparently being one of the better ones to avoid sleepiness but GPs seem to be steering away from it.

Edited by ElCece

• Paid Members

I was hoping for something to combat the fatigue I could take at a low dose with my current medication.

If I know what to ask for and do some research to pitch the request right I'm confident I could get it prescribed.

• Paid Members

It depends on who your GP is mate. They will try and convince you to split your dose and they may choose to try and prescribe you some oral Vitamin C. If its Modafinil or something like that your after I think you would be lucky.

Most healthboards policy would be to refer you to sort of fatigue/sleep clinic

All anti-depressants are liable to cause drowsiness unfortunately Tommy. Your prescriber may choose to lower your dose or try you on another SSRI. I don't know what your local areas policys are but from my neck of the woulds they would try you on Fluoxetine then Citalopram.

I have heard mention of Venlafaxine apparently being one of the better ones to avoid sleepiness but GPs seem to be steering away from it.

I've been on Venlafaxine...made me wanna sleep all day long and that was on a low dose.

• Paid Members

I'm not going to hold out hope, but I have a good relationship with my GP. I have requested antidepressants a month or two back and he signed it off without issue. He even asked me which I wanted for him to prescribe.

He's not the hottest, but because I've referred myself into mental health care a couple of times he now knows I'm not up yo any thing iffy and if I say I have an issue it's probably worse than I say.

• 2 weeks later...

My drinking has been curtailed dramatically but I think I'm switching addiction to painkillers. My girlfriend has chronic long term illnesses and leaves meds at mine, I've been caning zapain like they're skittles. They stop me wanting to drink but that's because I'm zoned out as it were.

Bit of a shitter but there you go, at least I'm still exercising I suppose.