Ever left a football match early?

5pints

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

No matter how bad they're playing I'll stay till the end. I remember being at a play off final and seeing quite a few people leaving at half time because the team were losing by 3 goals only for them to make a comeback and win.

• Paid Members

I've only ever been to one football match, some free tickets to see my local team.

I was too intrigued by the pitch sloping down hill to one end and the teams penchant for kicking the ball straight up directly in the air for no real reason to leave early.

• Paid Members

I left a Queen's Park vs Berwick Rangers match early at Hampden in 1999 due to the fact the Berwick fans were acting up. All of the fans were seated in the BT Scotland Stand and the atmosphere wasn't particularly good for some reason. Got out of there once I got smacked with a roll and something on the back of the head. Some old boy got hit with a bar of soap too.

I basically did the same for a Clydebank vs Ashfield Juniors game last season. Genuinely feared for my safety. Looked like I had members of the National Front beside me too.

I don't get to go to games that often, so when I do go I try to make the most of it and get there early and won't leave until the whistle blows no matter what the scoreline is. However I have had to on a couple of occasions. One in particular was the game England played against Czech Republic about four years ago. The game was running over for some reason and I ran the risk of missing the last train home if I stayed until the end. If it was just me then I probably would have risked it, but I had my lad with me and chose to leave early. I missed a Joe Cole equaliser, but we got home just fine.

I guess this is down to people getting annoyed that people leave early due to the team they support is not winning so leave instead of keeping pride in the team they support and stay to the end regardless of result?

My personal take on this is if you can't take your team can get beat then don't buy a match ticket. Same if you can't stay for a whole game due to transport issues just stay at home as I never understood why people are happy to go see a partial game of football just to say they were at the match.

• Paid Members
My personal take on this is if you can't take your team can get beat then don't buy a match ticket. Same if you can't stay for a whole game due to transport issues just stay at home as I never understood why people are happy to go see a partial game of football just to say they were at the match.

Coming from the most miserable and ungrateful fucker that I've seen attend live entertainment, I'm amazed this is coming from you. You'd bitch on the internet about the travel if Jesus Christ was seen riding unicycle if it was 5 minutes outside Glasgow.

• Awards Moderator
I guess this is down to people getting annoyed that people leave early due to the team they support is not winning so leave instead of keeping pride in the team they support and stay to the end regardless of result?

Jesus wept.

People go to the game to support their team, not to say they were at the match. If they choose to, or need to, leave early then that's their choice. Whether they leave for an early train, to meet their missus or to buy a pint of local beer ABV 4.3%, then that's their decision.

I've got the tiresome pleasure of having a season ticket for Palace and with a 5-6 hour drive either side of the game, if we're getting walloped with a few minutes to go and I can get a head-start on the London traffic then I may stand at the steps until the 90th minute then do one. That doesn't mean I turn up to say I was there; it means I don't fancy adding an hour on to a twat of a journey for the sake of watching Shola Ameobi playing keep-ball in the corner.

• Paid Members

This is just attention seeking, right?

I went to Hillsborough Saturday and stayed the full 90 mins (Even though I have never seen the Owls play as bad as they were) and I honestly wish I had left the ground earlier. Not only is it a complete nightmare getting down the stairs and out of the ground, I missed the tram due to the crowds and had to wait 15 mins for the next one and missed the connecting train.

Apart from when I used to go to the games as a child with my Grandad and he liked to get out before the traffic, I've never left a game early.

It's the ticket paying fans choice whether he/she stays the whole game, 70 mins or even ten mins. I fail to see how this could be a big issue for other people, who, also make their own choice to stay the full 90 minutes.

I'm pretty sure that at some point in the past I have left a game early, but it will have been many moons ago. I help run a local team and have witnessed several thrashings over the last five years, so I've sometimes had envy for those that can leave early!

One of our local rivals used to ground-share at our park until a couple of years ago, and I went to a few of their fixtures when we weren't playing. I remember being at one of their matches on a freezing cold day and it was horrendously dull. My mate gave up and went back to his car during the second half, honestly can't recall if I joined him before the end or not, but I certainly haven't left a game before full-time since then.

My very first season ticket when I was 10 was in the temporary stand at Celtic Park. It was uncovered and I remember we only left early once, just after half-time of a game against Partick Thistle. I'm almost certain it was the game when Jorge Cadete was introduced at half-time and then made his debut about a month later!

Since then I don't usually leave the game early regardless of the result, the exception being if I have to meet someone or have transport to catch. When I still had my season ticket the group of guys in front of me used to leave as soon as the result was looking sealed, so if Celtic were 3 up inside half an hour, they'd just up and go to the pub. Never seen the point in that myself but like others have said; if they've bought a ticket they can do what they like.

Archived