Ever left a football match early?

5pints

One of my pet hates is people leaving early at a football match. I don't care how long it takes you to get home in rush hour. If that is such a concern, then don't go, watch it on TV.

I've been at a game years ago where the opposing team scored in the 1st minute, then my team equalised in injury time. If I had of turned up late and left early, I would have missed both goals, what would have been in paying all that money to travel and for my ticket, for no end result!

I know it's months old now, but this hits the point home nicely.

Click the link below.

Coventry fans - huh!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

People pay their money and can leave whenever they want. It's not uncommon for people to leave before the end of other sporting events before they've finished, why should football be any different?

People pay their money and can leave whenever they want. It's not uncommon for people to leave before the end of other sporting events before they've finished, why should football be any different?

I'm not disagreeing with you there, however, leaving in the 70th/80th minute is just ridiculous!

I don't care how long it takes you to get home in rush hour.

But other people might care how long it takes. So why would you care if they left early?

It's a poor excuse, that's why. I've never left early, and this includes the many times I've travelled up to Leeds from Kent and back in the same day. I put it all down the match day experience. Just ask Dan the Coventry City fan how he now feels about leaving early?

• Paid Members

Good for you. If you want to stay until the nets are down, nobody is going to judge you. Should be the same for those who want to leave because their kid is having a sleep over and they need to drop them off or they need to get back to see their wife before X Factor finishes. Football is worked into peoples routines. If they've paid their money and they need to do things which you have to do in life, that's their choice. We've all got our own different shit to be dealing with.

• Paid Members

I'm not disagreeing with you there, however, leaving in the 70th/80th minute is just ridiculous!

Not if you know that you're not going to be able to get on the tram for an hour and a half because they're too overcrowded, or are going to miss the crappy matchday trains because they only run two after full time, or have got to walk 15 or 20 minutes to get the bus, which is also going to be full.

If you pay for a ticket, it's up to you if you want to leave straight away or stay until the end. I've been to matches where I've not supported either team playing and have left due to being bored shitless, being cold and wanting to go to the pub. Whether it be going to the cinema, going to a concert or a sporting event, if you want to go then you're entitled to go.

• Paid Members

I'll always remember leaving a Sheffield Wednesday game early when I was a kid as my Grandad wanted to beat the traffic. I missed Paulo Di Canio's overhead kick goal and I was gutted.

If you have paid your money to get in and watch the game, and for whatever reason you need/want to leave early, that is your choice. What should it matter to anyone else in the stadium? Who is it affecting? The club have still received their money from the gate and its not like theres only a handful of people that go to games.

If you have never left a game early, then thats great, it doesn't make you anymore of a fan than someone who leaves in the 70th minute. The same as it doesn't make you more of a fan if you go to every game as aposed to someone who goes every now and then. As Ian said above, its a leisure activity that you fit in around your lifestyle.

Tradition at our gaff (Bristol City) to leave early, almost horrendously so. If we ever get on the gogglebox again, watch the amount streaming out of the Dolman Stand after about 70mins. Embarrassing. As to if I leave early, depends on how I got to the game and if dependent on trains and stuff to get elsewhere. No fixed rhyme nor reason, irrespective.

• Paid Members
If you pay for a ticket, it's up to you if you want to leave straight away or stay until the end. I've been to matches where I've not supported either team playing and have left due to being bored shitless, being cold and wanting to go to the pub.

I took my eldest daughter to her first football match for her birthday back in March and it was FREEZING. We left after 60 minutes because I genuinely feared frostbite.

The thing is, as this was Droylsden v Guiseley, when we left it meant that about half the crowd had gone.

I've sympathy for both sides of the argument here. Nowadays I usually get a lift or a supporters' bus, but when I had to rely on public transport to get home I've certainly left 5-10 minutes early at times if it meant a big difference in avoiding the nightmare rush for buses after a game. These will have been pretty meaningless games that were already decided one way or another when I left. At the Chelsea cup game in midweek, I sat there freezing my arse off for 85 minutes, convinced that we could play all night and not score. But, as there was only one goal in it, I stuck around and was rewarded with one of the best atmospheres I've been a part of in extra time, even though there were probably only around 15k people left in the stadium by that point.

But some people who go in for this sort of thing are utter bellends. It's not so much the early leavers, as the ones for whom leaving early is part of a bigger package that includes turning up 5-10 minutes late, going downstairs 10 minutes before half time in order to get a pint in, and coming back 5-10 minutes into the 2nd half after finally having finished said pint. I used to be of the school of thought that said if you pay your money, it's entirely up to you how you spend your time, but sitting immediately behind a gangway it's fucking annoying having your view of the game constantly interfered with by these tossers and their musical chairs routine.

I have a few times when Carlisle have been utterly shocking!

The main one that springs to mind was when I left the 2010 Johnstone's Paint Trophy final after 54 minutes when 0-4 down against Southampton, I couldn't stomach any more of it!

Archived