Darren Young steps out of the closet

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

From Digital Spy

WWE Superstar Darren Young has come out as gay.

The former Nexus member was interviewed by TMZ at LAX Airport when he was asked if a gay wrestler could be successful within the company.

Young laughed and said: "Absolutely, absolutely! Look at me. I'm a WWE Superstar, and to be honest with you I'm gay. And I'm happy, very happy."

When the interviewer said that he commended his bravery, Young replied: "I don't think it matters, does it matter? Does it matter to you? Does it change what you think about me?

"I guess if you want to call it coming out. I really don't know what to say it is, but I'm just letting you know that I'm happy with who I am, I'm comfortable with myself. And I'm happy to be living the dream. I'm in LA for SummerSlam."

Asked about how some might respond to his statement, he added: "You know, to be honest with you, I'm happy with myself.

"Some people might not like it, some people will like it, but I'm here to please myself, I'm here to be happy. It's very important to be happy with myself."

Of whether his statement would pave the way for others within the WWE who are afraid to come out, Young said: "I hope so. I'm hoping to be able to make a difference.

"It's very important to me that people understand that someone's sexual preference shouldn't really matter. It should be about the person."

Young is reported to be the first WWE Superstar to have publicly come out.

Brave guy. Obviously it's common knowledge regarding Pat Patterson, but apart from Kanyon and Orlando Bloom, I think he's the first big name to come out in a long time, and the only one to do so in WWE. Good on him.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Obviously it's common knowledge regarding Pat Patterson, but apart from Kanyon and Orlando Bloom, I think he's the first big name to come out in a long time

First dibs on Kate Bosworth.

• Awards Moderator
Obviously it's common knowledge regarding Pat Patterson, but apart from Kanyon and Orlando Bloom, I think he's the first big name to come out in a long time

He's with Miranda Kerr now, isn't he?

Anyway, fair play to Darren Young, hopefully this won't result in WWE giving him a Flamboyant gimmick or anything like that.

• Paid Members

He's with Miranda Kerr now, isn't he?

I'll happily transfer.

• Moderators
Anyway, fair play to Darren Young, hopefully this won't result in WWE giving him a Flamboyant gimmick or anything like that.

That's the thing that makes me slightly nervous. I don't want to see him heeling it up on Monday night as "Fabulous" Darren Young, in a feather boa. They've got a huge opportunity now to move beyond the usual comic grotesques and really do something. They should show a montage of the incoming media fallout, do a quick interview where he acknowledges it like it ain't no thang, then shift him onto the talks-at-schools PR circuit as a face.

Probably not but I wonder if it has anything to do with why he looked like he was going to get a big push then it vanished. Back in 2010 he looked like the one in Nexus who was going to make it (aside from Barrett obviously) then he was set up for a big face run, he came back distracted Barrett in a match got RKO'd then spent the next few months on Superstars and hasn't really done anything since. Maybe it was just another case of stop/start booking or maybe someones prejudice got in the way again.

• Paid Members
Brave guy. Obviously it's common knowledge regarding Pat Patterson, but apart from Kanyon and Orlando Bloom, I think he's the first big name to come out in a long time, and the only one to do so in WWE. Good on him.

I fucking knew it! It was the long French plait in Lord of the Rings that gave it away!

On topic, fair play to him. Will be interesting to see how WWE plays this out (they shouldn't, but they will, in some context).

You'd hope they can do something positive with it (if indeed Young actually wants to) but I'd lean towards them having Cena come out with some innuendo about it during one of his promo's, probably followed by a B.A. Star ad

Just a good job JR isn't commentating anymore, always seemed like he enjoyed giving sly digs to certain wrestlers

• Paid Members

Hopefully it doesn't change a thing, it shouldn't.

I don't think PR stuff is necessary, unless he wants to do that kind of thing and in fairness he seems very happy and positive about this, which is obviously great.

But yes as mentioned, we don't need another Rico purely because he is gay.

I hope they continue as a team to build on what they are, I want to see more smugness as a heel team

Archived