Darren Young steps out of the closet

Thunderplex

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading some of the ideas on this in the Minor News thread, how about they have a match against the Colons, Rosa tries distracting him with her cleavage, he just shrugs his shoulders and laughs with the audience and then hits his finisher and wins, that'd be a half decent way of them acknowledging the fact he's gay

Not that they have to obviously but I imagine they'll want to do something with it and I think that'd be better than some of the stuff they could come up with

• Moderators

They do love to harp on about any media attention they get, particularly from TMZ, so it's not unthinkable they'd make a quick reference to it that way, showing screengrabs and shots of TV shows that have discussed it.

"One of our superstars has been in the news this week. Nice one, you poof" or something.

• Paid Members
After reading some of the ideas on this in the Minor News thread, how about they have a match against the Colons, Rosa tries distracting him with her cleavage, he just shrugs his shoulders and laughs with the audience and then hits his finisher and wins, that'd be a half decent way of them acknowledging the fact he's gay

Fucking hell.

Fucking hell.

Well you know what they're like, they're not going to have a frank, serious sit down interview with him are they? I just meant if they are going to acknowledge it it'd be preferable to do something like that rather than have Cena going on about how Young's after his fruity pebbles or some shite

• Paid Members

You're putting words in their mouth, though, don't make out like you're talking on their behalf along the lines of trying to make the best out of the situation. It's your idea for a "half decent way" of them acknowledging his sexuality. In reality, your pitch would be about the worst possible way they could approach it.

The best way for them to approach it is to not write it into any storylines whatsoever and to not alter Young's direction, whatever that is, in any way, shape or form. If he chooses to be a representative of the WWE and wishes to put himself forward as some kind of LGBT ambassador for them, then more power to him. The WWE's track record when dealing with sexual minorities is absolutely appalling, after all, and they could certainly do with someone working for them on that front.

But just keep it off TV. We all know it will end in disaster.

Now Darren's come out publicly, I imagine when they meet, Vince being a bit like the "Modern Dad" off of Harry Enfield

I would assume WWE already knew this was going to happen, TMZ wouldn't waste their time hanging about an airport asking WWE wrestlers their thoughts on gay athletes, I'm guessing WWE and Darren Young set this interview up.

Congratulations on being gay? That doesn't sound right.

What is the proper response to someone coming out though? Supposing you feel you should acknowledge it, what phrasing do you use?

"I'm so happy for you that you're gay"

"Oh, right."

"I always thought you were"

"That's very nice for you"

You're putting words in their mouth, though, don't make out like you're talking on their behalf along the lines of trying to make the best out of the situation. It's your idea for a "half decent way" of them acknowledging his sexuality. In reality, your pitch would be about the worst possible way they could approach it.

The best way for them to approach it is to not write it into any storylines whatsoever and to not alter Young's direction, whatever that is, in any way, shape or form. If he chooses to be a representative of the WWE and wishes to put himself forward as some kind of LGBT ambassador for them, then more power to him. The WWE's track record when dealing with sexual minorities is absolutely appalling, after all, and they could certainly do with someone working for them on that front.

But just keep it off TV. We all know it will end in disaster.

I agree they should just keep it off TV 1. because it doesn't or at least shouldn't matter that he's gay and 2. they are dreadful when it comes to stuff like this, as you pointed out

I just meant that if they are going to do anything, something a bit light hearted would be better than Cena or Vince doing John Inman style looks into the camera or whatever Vince would find funny about the whole thing, I'd like to think that the people behind the scenes nowadays would be clever enough to tell him to stay away from stuff like that to be fair

Archived