The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

The difficulty of the sexy female wrestler gimmick I'd guess would be resisting the urge to make it some kind of "Beautiful People" knockoff/homage. Pair her with Nia so when she's snagging off all the uglies she can hide behind her? Or make it abundantly clear she can handle herself in the ring as well? Like a female counterpart of "Dashing" Cody? Or have a less attractive woman so deluded she thinks she's it, and has the skills to shut up anybody that tries to tell her otherwise. That'd be a positive role model and score points with the anti bullying charities.

Except Vince would book the detractors as faces and the whole message would be lost.

• Paid Members

Love it. A post about how it's go away heat, with a final line that proves it isn't.

I'm not even sure this 'go away heat' bollocks term is real. If someone is garnering a reaction, then they are doing their job. The only 'go away' reaction is to have no reaction, as that proves that nobody gives a shit about them. People booing Steph, especially when she's doing the Yes taunt, well that's good old fashioned heel heat working a treat isn't it?

'Go away heat' (or X-Pac heat) seems to be a term that fans have invented to convince themselves that they are too smart to simply be told who to boo and therefore cannot be worked. Yet, they are indeed being worked.

The lack of pay-off to Stephanie's heel actions however, is another matter entirely.

I wouldn't say there's no such thing really. You're right in the sense that if a heel is getting booed then they're doing their job right, but Stephanie in particular is one of the main reasons I don't watch Raw regularly and only catch a few highlights on Youtube.

She made the draft episode absolutely unbearable with her constant quips and impressions, and the thought of her doing a Teddy Long impression makes me nauseous.

It depends on your view.

Slapnut, for example, you choose not to watch, which really is the wrong kind of heat, as you're choosing to not watch the product at all than see Stephanie. Whereas 'Chaser is saying he wants her to get a beating from another wrestler, which is basically her getting a reaction of some kind.

I think if you want them to get a beating/get hurt in anyway, you've been worked.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't say there's no such thing really. You're right in the sense that if a heel is getting booed then they're doing their job right, but Stephanie in particular is one of the main reasons I don't watch Raw regularly and only catch a few highlights on Youtube.

Yes but I'd say that's different, and the same as somebody getting no reaction from the live crowd, as you're not watching it and using your energy to boo her.

Stephanie is a big reason I don't bother with Raw anymore. I read the reactions in this thread and watch the good bits (which never involve her except for when Shane returned.)

She is a detriment to the product. The point of being a heel is to get the face a bigger reaction, she cuts the legs off everyone except a select few on a select few occasions. That makes her a terrible heel and character.

I still watch the PPVs because she doesn't have much involvement with them. I watch NXT and Lucha Underground and the Network tournaments because she isn't on them. The annoying thing is they have the perfect Authority figure with HHH (who works best without her.) He adds legtimacy to everything and actually works hard to make wrestlers look good.

Stephanie could be a great heel if her character wasn't a fucking schizo.

She can do truly great work on the mic when she wants to, but she's more concerned with getting the middling 'welcome to Monday Night Raw' "pops", and stuff like giving Charlotte a bollocking when she ditched Flair. I think she's just too egotistical to consistently "play a bad guy on TV" and show some arse. How her Pops hasn't had a word and gone "this is how it's done" is baffling

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members

If they bring Angle in to replace Foley as GM like the rumours say I wonder whether they'll do any throwbacks to the love triangle storyline. Angle and Tripper could make for some brilliant comedy.

It's the typical wrestling business. It's wrestlers talking like wrestlers.

Next time Stephanie McMahon is in the ring cutting a promo, or it's Chris Jericho or Kevin Owens or The New Day or whoever it might be. Listen to how they speak......that's not how people speak in real life.

Hold on a minute.

You listen to me.

I'm gonna tell you this.

Is this what you want? (looks to the crowd)

Let me tell you something.

All of this is wrestler talk. No one speaks like that in real life. That's the advantage many other TV shows have over wrestling shows, they have script writers that live in the real world and not the wrestling bubble and they know how people speak. People don't talk in long sentances. People chat in short burts. People swear. Two people that hate each other don't stand in the ring talking to each other and not try to hit the other one. I hate this guy so I'm gonna stand and talk to him with a microphone and not try and punch him or hurt him! Only in wrestling.

And here is the thing. You have your Netflix now. You have Sky Atlantic and FOX UK importing some of the best shows from America. You literally, in your home now, have access at the click of a button to some of the most well written, well acted productions in the history of television. TV is so sophisticated now. People binge watch shows now. That wasn't even a thing 10 years ago but it is now. People are so used to TV being so well written, and have such great actors with good production values that when you tune into a Monday Night Raw and you have Stephanie in there with her big manly shoulders, she's not even an attractive looking woman, she's more manly than she is female and the overacting and then you add in the wrestlers talking and you've made just spent an hour or two watching a real well written show with real proper actors that know what they're doing and you just think...........really? I've just sat and watched world class actors act out an interesting story for 1 hour and i'm gonna sit for 3 hours and listen to this?

20 years ago it was different, 30 years ago it was different. When you have people with SMART TVs that have all the apps in the world and android boxes that can bring up anything, you literally have people in their homes with the remote control in their hand dying for you to give them an excuse to change the channel, you better not bore them or insult their intelligence cause all they do is change the channel. TV is so popular now that people are gonna settle for any less than they need to. People are so choosey now. They're not gonna sit for 3 hours every Monday night and watch badly acted fake wrestling when they can spend that time watching a TV show that's got great actors in it and a tightly written story. It's just so different now and it's passing WWE by and it's passing TNA by and  you seen Jeff crawlign back to TNA cause he can't even sell his GFW, TV companies wont touch it. Wrestling is a hard sell and when you look at GFW, TNA and WWE, who is in control? Who produces those shows? Wrestling  people. And what do wrestling people know? Wrestling. They don't know TV.

That's all they know and that's why when you come across wrestling on TV it's like it takes time to adjust to it. You've flicked through all these other channels and now you're right back to 1970s wrestling. Right back to refferees pretending they can't see anything illegal. Wrestlers being interrupted by another wrestlers entrance music. Wrestlers getting punched 10 times in teh face while the crowd chants along yet not once will they put their hands up to protect themself or try and stop the other guy punching them. It's tanned skin men playing bad guys and pale white skin men playing good guys. It's so out of date, so out of place that many people wont watch it like they used to. Nothing has changed. They will not change with the times.