The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

‘People don’t like him’ really isn’t the people’s problem though, is it?

Does that not fall on him? Or the booking of his character?

And I like to think I’m not one amongst the many. I’ve always been a huge Cena fan. But, without covering the same bases as last weeks posts, something is just off with Roman. There is no connection beyond just general malaise/dislike. I think he’s booked terribly, but I don’t think he helps matters both on and off screen.

What irks me most, and I don’t know whether this is his issue or whether he’s not allowed to riff, but there always seems little bits of opportunity for flourish and character that never seem to get taken. Like last night; that goofy ranger was reading him his rights from a laminated piece of card. How on earth did he not slap that out of his hand? The crowd would have loved it. No one likes a jobsworth. Little details like that drive me mental. And I don’t know whether that’s him lacking the improv abilities of others, or whether they’re not allowed to go off script but Christ, that stood out.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

People don't like him. That's the be all and end all. So we get this picking apart of every little thing. It's pointless. If they did it like 1998, people would still complain that he's trying to be Steve Austin.

Isn’t it universally accepted that the closest Roman ever got to being accepted as a top babyface was when they booked him exactly like Stone Cold, back when he was feuding with Vince, punching him off the apron before winning the Title on Raw? 

Ultimately, you’re right, the root cause is that the fans just don’t like Roman, but that’s what makes the writing of his character so perplexing. You know the fans don’t like him, so why send Lesnar out in a, “one more time!” scenario to beat him up a second or third time. That’s not a spot that’s going to elicit sympathy. If you want sympathy then do a brutal beat down where he’s left bleeding or something. Don’t have Lesnar keep coming back out and comedically attack him again and again.

giphy-downsized.gif

• Paid Members

It’s exactly what turned Braun Strowman into a huge babyface - those hilarious, “I’M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU YET!” spots where he’s coming back over and over again, throwing Roman off stretchers beyond the point of parody. That they learnt nothing from that and have booked the same angle in an attempt to build sympathy for Roman and get Brock booed is unbelievable. 

EDIT: Fair play to Mickie James. She’s probably ten years older than some of these girls, but is easily one of the most attractive. 

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

That’s a good point. Those repeat beatdowns are built for pops. ‘Ooh he’s coming back! YAY!’

’one more time’ etc..

35 minutes ago, Supremo said:

It’s exactly what turned Braun Strowman into a huge babyface - those hilarious, “I’M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU YET!” spots where he’s coming back over and over again, throwing Roman off stretchers beyond the point of parody. That they learnt nothing from that and have booked the same angle in an attempt to build sympathy for Roman and get Brock booed is unbelievable. 

It's really have your cake and eat it isn't it? They want Roman to be the big babyface but they deliberately play on fans dislike of him to get pops for "heels". And to repeat myself, stop making Roman the babyface and it all works.

45 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Isn’t it universally accepted that the closest Roman ever got to being accepted as a top babyface was when they booked him exactly like Stone Cold, back when he was feuding with Vince, punching him off the apron before winning the Title on Raw?

That was his best run as a babyface. They cleverly put the belt on Sheamus who people liked less than Roman and then had him punch Vince which worked a bit. It didn't last beyond the Rumble though.

In another news, was anyone else on ‘Brock Lesnar Tit Watch’?

He’d been looking like he was thinning out for the USADA testing pool as of late, but he looked pretty thick again last night.

I’m the last person to read too much into someone’s titties, but I wonder if he’s back on the WWE bus?

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Awards Moderator

I'd hate to be driving alongside Kurt Angle on the M62 with my windows down. 

The Hardy/Wyatt thing is a weird one. It raised a few laughs but I think I'll only enjoy it retrospectively if it's the end of the current Wyatt character. But I can't see it. Sister Abigail will be shit on so they can't go down that route (right?), but Christ knows what else they'll come up with. Being resurrected as Mer-Man would be better than what we've been subjected to over the last couple of years.

Absolutely adore Mark Henry. Honestly, I'm looking forward to his induction more than a lot of other things over 'Mania weekend. He comes across as the nicest human being alive and I hope he just goes on and on and on during his acceptance speech.

Really liked Cena's promo, the man is brilliant. Liked him walking the line between being the fiery babyface wanting to have his challenge accepted to get on the biggest show of the year with the odd insult about Taker sitting on his arse that walks that heely shoot line he did last week when he was calling him out for doing workout videos on Instagram. I didn't even mind Kane coming out to twat him one until Michael Cole said "Maybe Kane is stepping up to take on Cena at Wrestlemania". Oh fuck. Anything but that.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members

I'm weirdly hoping we get Amnesia Bray for a bit. Completely stripped of his "powers", doesn't know who he is, just that he's a wrestler. That way you can go back to a stripped-down cult leader version of the character in the future, but build to it slowly. 

Or just bring back Husky Harris.

• Paid Members

Chair of wheels meet mower of lawns had me in stitches. Overall it was quite enjoyable, but felt it ended on a bit of a let down with Bray not coming out of the lake. Can’t see him not returning before ‘mania. 

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I didn't even mind Kane coming out to twat him one until Michael Cole said "Maybe Kane is stepping up to take on Cena at Wrestlemania". Oh fuck. Anything but that.

I know its the direction he's being instructed to tease but fuck them for thinking we're that stupid. Really.

I’m hoping that they take him back to the only moderately interesting phase I’ve ever had with Bray: when he worked out how to harvest the Undertaker’s soul!

They should have kept going with that angle, it was logical and an interesting way to make Bray more supernatural but they just threw it all away!