The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

Shawn Michaels retired in 1998, in fairness.

Unreal, that Austin was going to do a comeback match against Coach in 2004 on a B-PPV. When it comes to mental decisions, that might be one of their worst.

Kinda makes sense though given that Austin wouldn't have to take a bump. Similar to the match HBK had in his TWA federation in about 2000. Worked in street clothes and never took a bump.

I may be wrong here, but I think he's refering to the fact that Steve Austin, arguably the biggest star of the ninties, was going to make his big comeback against Coach, in a comedy match on a B-PPV!  You only get to make 1 big comeback, and for Steve Austin, that should only be on one show, and thats Wrestlemania.

• Paid Members

He was going to put Coach over, though. You do that kind of stuff when you bring Sgt Slaughter back. Not arguably your biggest star ever.

Yeah, that's mental.

Unreal, that Austin was going to do a comeback match against Coach in 2004 on a B-PPV. When it comes to mental decisions, that might be one of their worst.

Kinda makes sense though given that Austin wouldn't have to take a bump. Similar to the match HBK had in his TWA federation in about 2000. Worked in street clothes and never took a bump.

I may be wrong here, but I think he's refering to the fact that Steve Austin, arguably the biggest star of the ninties, was going to make his big comeback against Coach, in a comedy match on a B-PPV!  You only get to make 1 big comeback, and for Steve Austin, that should only be on one show, and thats Wrestlemania.

I know that. But if Austin could work a proper match, he'd have had some by now. So he was only ever going to be able to work a match where he doesn't bump. So it's a question of would it be better for their business if he never worked or if they advertised him in a naff match. Edited by tiger_rick

That was a strange time, Taboo Tuesday 2005, Batista ending up taking his place. Wasnt Vader involved too?

Heard rumours (so it must be true) that Austin was pissed off with the JR skits (pulling The Gobbledy Gooker out of his arse and so on) when JR was fiiiiired (like me yesterday, but thats for off topic).

It was also around this time that Vince was after Mike Goldberg to replace Good Ol'.

He was going to put Coach over, though. You do that kind of stuff when you bring Sgt Slaughter back. Not arguably your biggest star ever.

Yeah, that's mental.

I know that. But if Austin could work a proper match, he'd have had some by now. So he was only ever going to be able to work a match where he doesn't bump. So it's a question of would it be better for their business if he never worked or if they advertised him in a naff match.

They haven't done WrestleMania in Texas since he retired though. If he doesn't do it there he'll never do it but they'll definitely be asking him the question, and it's hard to conceive of a better way for him to go out. Heyman seemed to think it was at least a possibility when he was on the podcast a few months ago. I think it'll happen.

Also - he evidently has been physically able to work at least some kind of match since his retirement since he was up for facing Hogan at Mania 22 at one point and must've been game for facing the Coach at Taboo Tuesday.

• Paid Members

They thought they had him for that as well. They wanted to do a Hall of Fame and comeback match. They even had him on the original poster, if memory serves me right. I think the original plan was Austin vs Randy Orton of all people.

It ALL comes down to Austin. He's had chances to wrestle again, and he didnt want to do it. Last year they were desperate for him to do it. They even dropped the planned Vince vs Triple H angle when they found out there was no chance of him working the show. I dont think its a given he's going to work next years WrestleMania. Listening to his podcast, he seems very content about his current life. If next year is the Undertaker's retirement match, that will probably be the focus.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

He does seem to answer the "if you could wrestle...?" question on his podcast with Brock Lesnar or CM Punk quite often. Maybe he just doesn't read through his questions first so doesn't get chance to skim over it but I do wonder if he at least likes to keep the prospect of those matches open for him to keep on answering the question every time it's asked.

Austin keeps door open for matches on his podcast as wrestling fans are his target audience. He may act like one of us, but he's more interested in playing krypton factor in Mexico than being part of the product. He's not wrestling again

• Paid Members

I don't think he's wrestling again, at least not in a high profile singles match like a lot of fans are fantasy booking. Maybe I'll be proved wrong but I get the impression that he's too proud of his legacy to go out there in his fifties, looking twenty years past his best to work a match that has no real chance of living up to his own extremely high standards. He's quite rightfully very protective of his legacy, probably moreso than any other big star that I can think of. He even says that he's no real interest in doing random appearances on Raw these days unless there is a decent creative direction. He's a strong willed character like that. I do think he would love to be a part of WrestleMania 32 though, because I think the fact that he never got a proper goodbye moment plays on his mind a bit and he keeps banging on about 100,000 people filling that stadium for the final show of George Strait's farewell tour and I reckon he fancies a bit of that. Trying to think of the right idea for him is pretty difficult though.

So, Raw this week. Missed the first hour, but overall it doesn't feel like Wrestlemania season in my view. Just missing that usual spark in the air.

Brock got paid a nice chunk of change to stand in the ring and hold his belt. Good for him.

It doesn't feel like crowds are reacting to Bryan as well as they used to. Heyman had to drag the "yes" chants out of them, but no real pop the first couple of times he said "Daniel Bryan" to get a reaction. I thought the crowd's reaction to Bryan when they set up the Fastlane match was a bit tepid as well. I think by having Bryan be such a non-factor in the Rumble, when it was supposed to be his triumphant return, and then having him go, "Hang on, I deserve a title match anyway," threw some cold water on the Bryan buzz.

Wyatt vs. Ziggler was the high point of the show, those two work well together. Bray's racking up these clean as a whistle victories on Raw, seems like these "Find me" promos are for Undertaker. I like the idea of a torch pass at Mania, but I worry that Taker will have trouble with Bray's physical style.

I liked the Triple H/Sting segment too. Smart way to have a "Sting appearance" without really having a Sting appearance. Triple H's promo establishing himself as the WWE guy against WCW's Sting was very effective also. It's almost like a subtle Network plug too, as I'm sure it'll direct some fans to the WCW portion of the archives to see what Sting was all about.

New Day are so, so bad. Interested in the Goldust/Stardust drama though, looks like Dustin might be finally getting his Mania wish.

BMZ... come on, WWE, you already had a great character in Barrett, and it's been sacrificed for a stupid TMZ tie-in.

Mizdow is continuing to show he could be a great fiery babyface when all is said and done. Have to commend Miz for his "Better than Columbus" retort to the crowd.

Rikishi in the HOF... eh. They're letting any old timer on good terms with the company get in, I'm tired of debating whether they deserve it or not.

Reigns is continuing to flounder- they had him work basically no part of the main event, steal the victory like a heel, then attack Bryan with the Spear like a heel. I am worried about how they'll get the crowd behind him against Brock for Mania. I liked the direction he was heading during the snowstorm Raw, but it's been forgotten in favour of him being a generic hothead.