The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
I'm not a fan of dark, brooding types. I'd like him to be quiet like the man sitting at the end of the bar who when he talks it carries real gravitas and weight, and can fuck up everyone in there when they cross him.

I like this idea a lot, and it sits well with his character thus far. Man of few words, a bit Clint Eastwood, actions speak louder than words sorta type. That way it doesn't matter what he wears if he has the aura of being a bad ass, he'll carry it off regardless.

So basically part of undertakers gimmick?

I'm not sure why people are saying that the default Reigns should go to is black trunks and boots. I know Attitude onwards it was seen as a main event look, but Batista didn't, Orton didn't, Flair always changed up his colours whatever era he was in, Sheamus wears green, Bryan wears deep red and white, Miz changes his colours too.

Personally, if Reigns does go down the trunks and boots route, I think it should be all red. Probably scarlet. Red bands around the biceps, red forearm guards. Maybe even red finger tape.

This is ridiculously true. Talking about how wrestlers should wear black is like ranting about how a movie should be darker, old fashioned balderdash. Wrestling should be colourful and camp, not dark and serious. Whack a bit of colour on him, you don't need to be Austin to get over.

He'll end up in baby blue now, and we all know what happens to guys given the baby blue treatment

• Paid Members

Not so much, as even in the gimmick's more toned down form, Taker still has a supernatural element to him. I mean in a more real, no-nonsense bad-ass who doesn't have to rant and rave. He's quiet, almost stoic, but his calm and control are what make him intimidating. I feel you could slot Reigns into that role easily enough and he's be fantastic.

Edited by mim731

• Paid Members

Not so much, as even in the gimmick's more toned down form, Taker still has a supernatural element to him. I mean in a more real, no-nonsense bad-ass who doesn't have to rant and rave. He's quiet, almost stoic, but his calm and control are what make him intimidating. I feel you could slot Reigns into that role easily enough and he's be fantastic.

Indeed, that's why I said part of. If you take away the supernatural thing, that's exactly who taker is. Don't they even compare him to Clint Eastwood on tv?

Not saying this is a bad thing, mind

reigns is the new Austin/goldberg/Batista style guy. He's not the hero, he's the lancer. His dress should be more restrained than Big E whoever the next John Cena is.

Edited by Duke

• Paid Members

The silent assassin role would suit Reigns and he's good in the "only speak if necessary" situations but it won't suit WWE. Firstly because they don't seem to like booking to hide a weakness. They see that as a weakness in the talent. Especially if he wants to be a top guy.

Secondly, they have 7 hours or something a week of TV to fill. They rely heavily on long, drawn out in-ring talking segments to fill a chunk of that. If their number 1 guy didn't say much, they'd feel the need to fill the time with guest hosts or fat blokes dancing.

The silent assassin role would suit Reigns and he's good in the "only speak if necessary" situations but it won't suit WWE. Firstly because they don't seem to like booking to hide a weakness. They see that as a weakness in the talent. Especially if he wants to be a top guy.

It's not really a weakness though, because it's not that he can't cut a promo. When he does speak it's very good, but it benefits his character to limit his talking. Badasses don't give monologues, they just fuck shit up.

Also, promos aren't the only non-wrestling things you can do on Raw. It'd be nice to see creative change things up by booking to the strengths of a specific character. You could use him in short videos having him wander around areas like the old WWF warehouse, looking cool as fuck in a leather jacket and jeans. Show a bunch of gritty images interspersed with clips of him spearing fools, then have him deliver a couple of lines about breaking Opponent X's ass in half.

Edited by Shane O' Mac Version 2

• Paid Members

To be honest, I think the best thing they could do for him, for anyone at all, would be just to book more diverse angles. Give people something memorable to do, that's all. Orton was at his most watchable in the pre-Legacy/beginning of Legacy psycho-heel storylines before they got fucked up by Condom-Filled-With-Porridge-Looking Shane McMahon and too many matches with Trips. I haven't seen much recently, but it sounds like that's what's gone wrong with guys like Del Rio and Sheamus as well.

There are so many angles out there - they could even just recycle old ones, it wouldn't matter. Just give them something distinctive to do! Give Reigns a Rockers-In-The-Barbershop or Piper-Coconutting-Snuka or Any-Old-Stone-Cold-Jobbing-Out-McMahon moment, something that will make people on here talk about it years from now.

"Remember when Reigns speared Ambrose through the Titantron?"

"No, he speared him, then chucked him through the Titantron."

"Oh, yeah. Well, that was when it all started for him."

On the subject of recycling old angles. If Reigns really takes off this year, to the point that he begins to look like a legitimate pretender to Cena's throne...

I'd love to see Ambrose and Rollins start interfering in his business; costing him world title matches, stealing his Money in the Bank brief case for a few weeks, etc. Up to the point that an elimination tag is booked for the Survivor Series. Reigns and his mates against Ambrose, Rollins, and a new member of the Shield to be debuted on the night. A third man, if you will.

During the match Reigns and co. are making a bit of a pig's ear of things and the Shield start doing something especially dastardly. Cuffing Big E Langston (say) to the ring post and going nuts with a chair, maybe with the help of a dummy third man (I read they're considering Mason Ryan?) to throw people off. Out comes a (returning?) Cena to make the save...

You all know the rest. If they could do it with the required subtlety you could cause a big splash and run with new babyface ace Reigns + allies against Hollywood Cena and The Shield for the next year or more. You could even eventually have Punk hang out in the rafters for a year and a half before he returns to finally put his old nemesis away at WrestleMania 32.

I got moist writing all that out, I reckon throwback angles could be great fun. With all the retro stuff they do now and the Network launch I think WWE could be up for something like that to add a bit of hypertextuality.

• Paid Members

They need to be careful with Reigns losing the big matches, even if a couple of blokes cost him. They did that with Ryback and it led to diminishing returns. If anything, I'd have Rollins and Ambrose trying to foil the rise of Reigns, only for Reigns to constantly out think and out power them, similar to Raven's Flock v Goldberg. That was a fantastic feud and it really helped Goldberg because it solidified Goldberg as the baddest bloke in wrestling.

Edited by ColinBollocks