Deathmatch Interest Thread 2 (NSFW)

Richie Freebird

Hello old friends, how is everyone? I popped back over out of chance interest after being gradually drawn back into the glorious pro wrestling scene over the last year or so. I was pleasantly surprised to see Deathmatches being discussed on the front page of the main forum, so decided to have a little read. Consequently, I've had a pleasant hour or so reading through the last few pages in the thread. I must say, the bout between Sadika and Sadik Maiden posted by Mezbrow on Page 21 was completely outrageous. I was genuinely off my seat, observing the madness unfold within the bizarre confides of (what I assume to be) a Mexican scrapyard. The powerbomb through the rear window of the discarded car is something I won't forget in a hurry. The visuals of middle aged fans looking on from atop the scrapped vehicles adds an air of idiosyncrasy to the already unconventional feel of the event. With appetite whetted and interest piqued, I will be looking into more Zona 23 in the near future, so thank you Mezbrow and Roy Disco.
Any how, have a great day everyone - Richie.

So pleased to see you back Richie! I love this thread and it's all really thanks to your original amazing, in-depth reviews. 

The deathmatch scene has really changed since then, from a niche part of wrestling to a much more prominent and distinct part of it. Who would have thought when the original Deathmatch thread was created we'd have seen one on national television? Then there's the success of GCW.

I've only recently discovered the UK scene as well, in RISE and KCW (and another I forget). And running shows so local to me - Sheffield, Leeds, Derby and Chesterfield. Now I just need them to run a show on a day I don't already have plans!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Ro_y Disco said:

I've only recently discovered the UK scene as well, in RISE and KCW (and another I forget). And running shows so local to me - Sheffield, Leeds, Derby and Chesterfield. Now I just need them to run a show on a day I don't already have plans!

I'm sure most already know but Rise have a ICW NHB Co promotion in Feb

Fd16Ha2XEAUIzPL.jpeg

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Ro_y Disco said:

So pleased to see you back Richie! I love this thread and it's all really thanks to your original amazing, in-depth reviews. 

The deathmatch scene has really changed since then, from a niche part of wrestling to a much more prominent and distinct part of it. Who would have thought when the original Deathmatch thread was created we'd have seen one on national television? Then there's the success of GCW.

NCW ("Notorious Championship Wrestling") is the Chesterfield one that does deathmatches.  I've never been, but it looks like they run shows in the beer garden of a rock pub.

The Derby one, KCW ("Kumite Combat Wrestling") started out doing no-ring shows in various nightclubs in the city, but after some licensing and police issues they now run outdoor shows (with a ring and everything...) in a beer garden right in the city centre every couple of months, usually with anywhere between 1-3 deathmatches per show, with the rest being made up of FUTR, House Of Pain and Aspire regulars. I went to their July one, right in the middle of the heatwave, which was, erm, fun. I enjoyed and would go back, depending on line-up.

As Tommy mentions above, Yorkshire-based RISE are hosting US indie ICW NHB in February. RISE themselves have got a pretty big show for their standards coming up in a couple of weeks in Leeds, too, headlined by a 3 vs. 3 no-rope barbed wire match. I'm off to that one, having never been to RISE before.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have now caught up on the last few major Deathmatch Tourneys, so thought Id share some opinions:

XPW: Halloween in Hell 3

Thankfully still as much as a cluster fuck and overly long as the old days. 4 and a half hour show? Check. Rubbish and meandering Rob Black promos? Check. Rubbish and nonsensical Rob Black angles? Check. Everything you expect from XPW, and it didnt disappoint.

Drake Younger is back in action! Doing death matches again, too. He seemed to have a job for years to come if he played his cards right in WWE, but now hes back doing death matches. Bit of a come down.

Necro Butcher was accompanied to the ring by Jasmine St Clair! Another throwback to nearly 20 years ago when watching bootleg XPW VHS's. Judging from what he looked like a few years back, its great to see Necro looking healthy again.

After three solid hours of death match wrestling (which kicked off with a ten minute Rob Black promo), what do you want? A ten minute Rob Black promo of course. What do you want after 3 hours and 20 minutes of a show? Another ten minute Rob Black promo of course. 30 minutes of Rob Black promos!

The action itself was pretty good. Saywer Wreck of GCW fame was in a super solid death match, which is worth checking out for the gusset plate being jammed into her forehead, and also for a truely disgusting spot, where Sawyers opponent has at least 5 inches of skewer completley under her skin in her arm. I may be getting worked, but the visual of pulling that skewer from under her skin was gross.

Shlak/Angel may just be the most disjointed match Ive ever seen. A massive car crash, where no one knows what the fuck theyre supposed to be doing. Strangely watchable for how bad it is, and not helped by some nonense Black booking thrown into the mix. No insane Angel bump, which is surely the only reason he'd ever be brought back.

CZW TOD 2022

After several years away, and being completley upstaged as the deathmatch event of the year by GCW, TOD returns! Old school CZW theme song to open the show is always a winner in my eyes. Fairly standard show, and clearly working on a lower level than its pomp from ten years ago. My favourate parts are the nostalgia. Mickie Knuckles getting to the final. Necro Butcher. Insane Lane (complete with his old school theme too). Plenty of entrance music stuck in the mid 00's too. What other wrestling show will I be able to hear Chicken Huntin by ICP in 2022? Plenty of decent, but unmemorable stuff on the show. One thing Ive never seen before was that every wrestler had a sponsor, which was plugged during their entrance. Smart idea to make a little extra cash I guess.

GCW Nick Gage Invitational 7

Solid event, with a solid final. If youre into your deathmatches, then Id suggest catching up on all of the Alex Colon/John Wayne Murdoch matches from 2022. Theyve had some really good ones, and this was no different. Colon is probably the best death match wrestler out there right now. Sawyer Wreck was also really solid in this one too. Big FN Joe from the UK was also really solid on this one, and had a great showing in TOD too, so is definately one to keep an eye on. More in general GCW chat, Rina Yamashita has had a few really good deathmatches the last year too, so is another one to keep an eye on.

Plenty watched, but the GCW and CZW stuff is just a bit too polished, which bizarely makes the XPW event I watched the most memorable! Ive rambled on more than Rob Black so Ill leave it at this!

Edited by Dai

• 1 month later...

Just been glancing at his Cagematch page, and its crazy how regular he still performs. At 65, hes still out there several times a month, doing the multi man death matches. His last match is one Im curious in..."Current Blast Spider Net & Barbed Wire Barricade Mine Explosion & Current Blast Explosion Bat & Barbed Wire Inside Board Explosion". Something straight out of the mid 90's, and a match name that if you read it on a tape traders website, that would be all the convincing Id need to spend a fiver on buying the VHS. To add to the craziness, Osamu Nishimura, the MUGA guy who was class in NJPW 20 years ago, was one of the participants of said match! I remember the guy who had that NJPW fan site, who went on to work at Silver Vision, was a huge Nishimura fan.

Speaking of AJPW, Onita had this match there a few months back: Atsushi Onita, Masanobu Fuchi & Yuma Anzai defeat Jinsei Shinzaki, Masao Inoue & Ryo Inoue. Shinzaki! Masao Inoue! Masa Fuchi in 2022! He looked ancient 20 years ago, so one can only wonder what he looks like now. I just happened to stumble upon Fuchi beating the shit out of Kikuchi in a match from 1992, so its quite something that hes still about 30 years later.

Whilst Im here, IWA Deep South had another show I watched recently. It took place in the back woods of Alabama (or something similar), and had more pick up trucks there than fans. Proper car crash stuff, and oddly engrossing.

• 4 weeks later...

"Theeere heeere"

I thought the deathmatches thread is probably best for GCW stuff but that timer is the exact time Kota Ibushi is free. I can't imagine what he'd do there but it seems like he's not signing with anyone just yet and has a bunch of things he wants to do.

Edit: it's Bloodsport, innit.

Edited by Merzbow

• 1 month later...