Deathmatch Interest Thread 2 (NSFW)

Richie Freebird

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

IWA Deep South Carnage Cup XIII, 2023.

This review contains NSWF imagery. Please click away if you are not in a comfortable and appropriate setting to proceed...

After a long, long hiatus, I decided to jump back into the vulgar underbelly of the Deathmatch tournament scene with this year's IWA Deep South Carnage Cup. The 13th instalment of this unwholesome tournament came from an opening in the trees in the middle of nowhere, McKenzie Tennessee. About 30 fans packed their camping seats on a grassy embankment, as the commentators noted that not many fans actually managed to find the event. Whilst this was almost certainly a cover for the modest draw, the location looked so remote that I wouldn't be surprised if some fans became lost along the way.

On screen, the scene was set right away, as the hard cam showed the Southern sun shining on a partially constructed 6-sided ring. No ropes, no canvas, no fans in camera shot. Just the wild and colourful MC Larry Legend stood in the ring, hyping up the forthcoming festivities. My friends, it was apparent from the outset. Freakish debauchery was afoot in McKenzie Tennessee. 

The opening bout was preceded by a 10 bell salute for the late Spidar Boodrow (who died around 3 years ago, as far as I know). Spidar was involved in some seriously crude and notorious contests in the promotion under the "Saw Deathmatch" stipulation. You may remember him from such spots as Stanley knife in the arm and circular saw blade to the head... Anyway, this madness was billed as the "Saw Forever" Deathmatch, perhaps in tribute to Boodrow. I believe the promotion held a contest under this name at last year's Carnage Cup, also. 

The bout was contested between clown painted Little Sicko, ultra hick looking Brian White, and the notorious Angel of Death, John Rare (who was Boodrow's dance partner in the original Saw bout chronicles). And man, these boys didn't waste any time. Within minutes, there was fire blazing around the ring, flaming razor wire, flaming bats, and all manner of barbed wire instrumentation haphazardly scattered around the theatre of obscenity.

image.thumb.png.a7d5a0b10463bbdb91f5b75c100ef87c.png

A notable spot included a package pile driver on a small trampoline. Only, the fabric was long gone, and in its place, a spider web of barbed wire. White's head was also introduced to a bouquet of humongous skewers of some sort. Just long, sharp wooden sticks. Insanity. At some point, Rare's arm became seriously diced up and began spewing juice. John was taped up by an attendant, Sabu style, and carried on with the madness like the bloodthirsty lunatic he is. 

image.thumb.png.eaac6c19d16911c17e6c7978d2b8e05d.png

image.thumb.png.8d47e050b9eb181e2b9684ac967beba3.png

In short, all men went wild in this one. Wire flew and claret set aflow. The smutty carnival was brought to an end when White somehow set Rare up amidst a massive pile of fire crackers and lit him up. After a prolonged series of explosions, Rare was pinned by Brian White and was out of there. Mercifully, the madness was over. Good grief. What an opener. These men went straight to 11. Carnage Cup indeed... 

image.thumb.png.05fff926fa67c7ea07a7100ad361ac42.png

The second opening round match up was billed as the Spiral Deathmatch, and was contested between Obey (who arrived carrying some sort of sickle) and the Hardcore Hillbilly (who arrived carrying a Donald Trump flag). Spirals of razor wire nailed to boards and carpet strip hashes embellished the partially constructed combat area, which still had no ropes or canvas. This could only spell bad news for someone. After beating each other halfway to hell, Hardcore Hillbilly got caught in the Andre rope tie up spot. Only, there were no ropes at all. It was a razor wire tie up spot. Whilst in this vulnerable position, Hillwilliam was subjected to a long strip of firecrackers wrapped around his person. Properly wince inducing scenes here, as Hillbilly was unable to cover his eyes during the explosions. These guys are bat shite mad men. 

image.thumb.png.13ab34f0debc35f5b867dfdd1b433499.png

image.thumb.png.6692868f60d5144f3b456a887eeb713d.png

After both warriors were weary and bloodied, a box-fresh Blaine Evans ran in and was somehow introduced as having "joined the carnage".... I guess we have a 3 way dance on our hands again here. God knows. This bout was chaos on wheels. Eventually, Blaine and Obey joined forces to double suplex the Hardcore Hillbilly into a paddling pool filled with syringes for the win. Wholesome stuff. At this point, you almost step back and wonder: what kind of man would subject themselves such degenerate lunacy voluntarily. What would they be doing if deathmatches weren't a thing? Either way, Evans and Obey were both announced as advancing. The rules weren't really clear. An air of a backyard clusterfuck hung over this one. Brilliant action though, totally lawless and wild. 

image.thumb.png.bd59957a5d0e3b7d1b79be73985c0d22.png

After this match was a long and boring intermission, in which canvas and ropes were finally introduced to the ring. Though, only the top 2 ropes (which were loosely fitted at best). I guess we can dismiss any more fire and firework spots for a while. 

The first round action rolled on as Chuey Martinez and Juggalo painted Sick Boy brawled with Jay Blade. This one was set before a backdrop of light tube log cabins, ladders, and carpet strip crosses (among other, degrading contraptions). Fists went flying as choke slams flew onto ladders, pumpkins were busted upon craniums, and a full on house door was being thrown around at ringside. 

image.thumb.png.8ee34ec869001a112dc2bfc87d51f558.png

At one point, Sick Boy hit Blade with a Death Valley driver from the ring apron to the floor through a log cabin light tube contraption. This actually looked pretty good (if you like that sort of thing). The end came when Sick Boy and Chuey Martinez teamed up to his a very wobbly Doomsday Device on poor Jay Blade through a ridiculous light tube contraption in the centre of the ring. The ropes were quite loose here, and this spot could have easily gone wrong. It didn't, though, and once again, two winners were announced as advancing to round two. So I guess only the man who takes the pinfall is eliminated in these crazy 3 way wars. Good match here, for a low rent deathmatch tournament. 

image.thumb.png.92f51ec3c5e1a58ef0fec404ae3478c6.png

image.thumb.png.b8bd520a9549de711ce2650b9abf960b.png

The final encounter of the first round was a Deep South Fun House contest. First out was the one and only Necro Butcher. Winner of the 2006 tournament and all round deathmatch legend Necro looked beaten up and old (even by his own, rugged standards), but still looked ready to bring his unique brand of reckless absurdity. Across the ring, deathmatch mainstay Bryant Woods. For this one, the scene was littered with wooden frames adorned with light tubes, barbed wire frames, and a paddling pool filled with light bulbs. Not tubes, bulbs. Ouch. 

image.thumb.png.0f9cf3c3105b6e9438fae18de32772c4.png

During the early stages of the brawl, indyriffic looking Jimmy Controversy ran in and was announced as having joined the battle. Really shoddy booking here, as the surprise 3rd contestant spot had already been done. That's a once per show angle, tops. Anyway. As the fight progressed, it became clear that Woods and Necro wanted to destroy each other in peace, as they kept on roughhousing Jimmy and ejecting him from the action. The little man kept coming back though, and the war spilled right through the fans and various stands and merch tables.

Necro was in vintage form here, throwing barrels around and demolishing tables and stands like a pissed up bar fighter on a Saturday night.

image.thumb.png.c7016e024ad923742372a692a20394b0.png

image.thumb.png.a54f190d1aee5a0242a77d87fd0cd213.png

Most of the fight was out on the grass. The action here was reckless and wild,... The skirmish eventually spilled back toward the ringside area, and Bryant hoisted Jimmy up onto the shoulders and headed towards a light tube frame contraption. The commentators speculated that a Burning Hammer could be on the cards; however, the move ended up as more of a straight up throw from the shoulders to the glass. Jimmy hit the target sweetly though, and the tubes burst to smithereens as Jimmy lay lifeless amist the brutal wreckage. Woods stepped on for a lazy pin cover and easily got the 3. Necro and Woods advance.

image.thumb.png.847068b5106932c6f0bd4c6bfe89e3f4.png

My friends, I hope you've enjoyed this analysis of the first round. Stay tuned for the next round and additional action from this year's Deep South Carnage Cup weekend. 

image.png

Edited by Richie Freebird
Double posted a photo.

Awesome post, can't wait to see more Richie.

I might have to give it a watch, I've been binging on older deathmatches recently thanks to that Blake lad on YouTube.

Have you seen any of the Russian scene? Some of it is just too fucking gross with one MMA guy having his scalp nearly taken off..

Edited by Merzbow

Great post Richie. Theres got to be a good story in the whole story of Deep South. I wonder how that guy has been able to blow what must be tens of thousands over the years on having his own personal death match event.

@Merzbow Yes, I love that Blake channel, hes got alot of great stuff on his channel, to the point Im even considering joining his Patreon. If youre into your death matches, Id advise people to go to his channel and pick out the Russian stuff, as its insane in its violence. I watched one the other day, where there was a woman involved, and it was just crazy seeing all the brutal violence being played out in front of 20 fans in a backyard (yet being filmed with great quality). Go for the Russian stuff, and then stay for the numerous vids hes covered from the glory days of Death Match.

Speaking of which, some amazing person has uploaded every IWA King of the Death match, CZW TOD, Masters of Pain and others on this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/@CHOUT86/videos

Theres plenty of newer matches on there too. Ive been making my way through the IWA King of the Death matches from the beginning. In terms of death matches, I think the 2000-2006 era was the best. IWA, from those two buildings they always ran in 2000 and then a few years later, was the best for me. Takes me back to getting the tapes from Pickstar and SiMania amoungst others, and super fast fowarding the inevitable 10 minute Ian Rotten promos that were always featured.

On 11/6/2023 at 11:50 PM, Merzbow said:

Awesome post, can't wait to see more Richie.

I might have to give it a watch, I've been binging on older deathmatches recently thanks to that Blake lad on YouTube.

Have you seen any of the Russian scene? Some of it is just too fucking gross with one MMA guy having his scalp nearly taken off..

Do I want to watch this? How gross is it?