Deathmatch Interest Thread 2 (NSFW)

Richie Freebird

On 11/6/2023 at 11:50 PM, Merzbow said:

I might have to give it a watch, I've been binging on older deathmatches recently thanks to that Blake lad on YouTube.

What's his channel like these days? I helped him out with some footage he needed for the History of the Circus Deathmatch video and another that currently escapes me, but upon actually watching one he had the most incredibly irritating tendency of telling you what was about to happen instead of commentating on what just happened.

17 hours ago, Merzbow said:

That's exactly what he does, I think I've weirdly gotten used to it though.

The same! It's a strange way of doing a video but I've gotten used to it too. His insight is restricted to 'Dude that shit was INSANE'. It's plenty of rare stuff in great quality though, and he does chuck in replays too, so it's a good watch. I just always avoid the interviews afterward and the ridiculous 5 minute name checking of his patron members, not sure why he thinks anyone would watch a bunch of names being read out. 

IWA Deep South Carnage Cup Weekend 2023 - Day 2 matches

Warning: This review contains NSWF imagery. Please click away now, unless you are in  a comfortable and appropriate setting to proceed...

Day 2 in McKenzie Tennessee and we have a bottom rope. Almost an actual, finished wrestling ring here. Who would have thought it. Unfortunately, the bottom rope was probably the most entertaining thing about the first match of the afternoon. A toilet themed elimination tag opened the day's action, dubbed the "Shit-Vivor Series Deathmatch". And shit it really, really was. Two bowel movement themed teams came out under the vulgar names Nation of Defecation and Turdy World Order, as the ring was adorned with thumbtack plungers, toilet seats, toilet roll wrapped ropes, and other, more conventional deathmatch weaponry. 

image.thumb.png.dcfd1b4d37f6828110fa754dd8b3c9e8.png

The shit-fest scene was set when Larry Legend announced the wrong names as the first team came out. We had such delightful characters in this one as Turdy, Demon Turdy, Bullshit, Nikolai Cash, Mikey Myers, Redneck Rebel (looking like a malnourished Rob Zombie) and Boriss Dukee. I'm not going to even try to take you through which team was which, or which wrestler was supposed to represent what. All you need to know is that they were all forgettable, trashy garbage. The ref also had an evil clown mask on. Not sure if this was a character, guest ref or they were just embarrassed to be involved. Do you remember those old Backyard Wrestling DVDs that came out around the turn of the century, when popular culture was deep into its Jackass / car crash TV phase? Well my friends, this match made those things look like second coming of Flair vs Steamboat.

I was going to talk you through the eliminations, but there would be little value in doing so. Lets save ourselves some sanity and jump straight to the finish. Team leaders Nikolai Cash and Boris Dukee were the last two idiots left out there. Both were overweight, immobile and terrible. Dukee was sent off the apron into a contraption of tubes and wire on the floor, in a very hesitant and clumsy looking fall. It took Cash about 2 minutes to get out of the ring due to apparent mobility issues, with the delay giving Dukee enough time to scrounge a half hearted kick out. Back in the ring, the refs were setting up a pane of glass over chairs and ladder. I became legitimately worried here, as neither men looked like they could survive a decent spot using these gimmicks... 

My concern for the welfare of these clowns escalated when a second ref started chucking lighter fluid on the glass. There was a delay in setting up the spot though, and it the accelerant apparently evaporated before ignition. In the end, the ref settled for lighting what looked to be a screwed up bit of bogroll, as Cash tried to do a double stomp through the pane from about the second rung of the ladder. Now, usually in these spots the victim would be below the gimmick, to eat the double stomp... right? Well, in this bizarre case, Cash just seemed to jump though the glass, not really hit his man at all, miss the part where the flaming bogroll was ablaze, collapse to the floor, and then lost the match. That's right, the man doing the "move" actually took the pinfall here, when Dukee rolled over and slapped an arm across. Absolute dogshit. 

image.thumb.png.d5fd66740bab0d5b89dade6085310d4d.png

The action here was sloppier than the faeces it was personifying. If you do pay for this show, extend yourself a favour and skip over this one. Nothing at all to see here. I've no idea what they were trying to achieve, but it was neither funny, nor entertaining. Not one to demonstrate to your non-wrestling fan friends if they ever ask what you are into. Now lets all move on and pretend this pile of puke never happened.

Throughout the two day show, intermissions were filled with music video hype packages for forthcoming XPW shows. At first I found these to be marginally interesting little clip reels of action, promoting wrestlers and hyping up shows, set to such musical acts as Pantera, Slipknot and Marilynn Manson. Early 2000s goth much? Again, the clips were well edited and had some bigger names than we were seeing in this show, so they seemed fairly cool. On Day 2 though, it was becoming tiresome. 20 minutes of the same shit rolling between each match had lost its novelty. I wonder what the flow of the weekend felt like for the few that made the pilgrimage out to the woods. It was probably worse for the TV viewer, to be honest. Everyone is okay with setup times between bands at festivals aren't they? I guess this was just a blood and guts, grassroots festival of trashy violence, after all 

Anyway, back to action. Mercifully, business was about to pick up in McKenzie Tennessee. I surely needed the filthy taste from the previous match washing out of my mouth here, and Sick Boy & Tarzan Duran were the men to do it. Ropes were hooked up with light tubes, in what was billed as the "Stairway to Hell" match. Sick Boy came out looking fairly fresh despite his contribution to the tournament on Day 1, while Tarzan arrived smoking a cannabis cigarette, much to the amusement of the commentators. It would turn out to be the first of many. Tarzan sparked up at least 3 more fresh blunts during the contest, and kind of kept them going between moves, in sequences which reminded me of the Orange Cassidy hands in pockets spot. Persistent, cheeky disobedience. Maybe that's a stretch but the comparison crossed my mind here. 

image.thumb.png.a6a2d33203da2a7916d7f6f673e8f414.png

Much better match, this one. The wrestlers seemed to have more freedom and less time constraints today. With the entire tournament crammed into Day 1, it seemed we were in for some more free-flowing Sunday action. Notable spots included a suplex through a light tube frame contraption on the outside which looked really good (again, if you like that sort of thing) and the finish which came with a death valley driver through a board on the inside, with Sick Boy picking up the victory. I'm not sure if the board was gimmicked, as the neck-reddening sun caused some glare off the board which obscured the specifics. Either way, this was a fun and entertaining affair and benefited from being awarded space to generate the story of battle. 

image.thumb.png.42ad9d1ccaaa78cb9eaf1af7c719611e.png

Next match, 2/3 falls match. Many of the unused light tube ropes were left up for this one and combined with ladders, chairs, pains of glass and spiked bats. Contestants here were Jay Blade, and Little Sicko (fresh off his comprehensive beating at the hands of Brant Woods in last night's final, and sporting a juicy fresh bruise on the left shoulder blade to boot). Again, time constraints seemed looser, and the combatants began the match with submission holds, spinning head scissor takedowns and brainbusters, which were scattered between light tube headbutts and other such debauchery. Jolly good action in the early going. 

image.thumb.png.a38c64404cd178fa589cf5136edb79fc.png

Blade took the first loss as Sicko planted him with a move whose name I don't know. Cradle back / neck breaker over knee, of sorts. A nice looking move, however celebration time was cut short when sicko ate a gruesome looking gusset plate to the head spot (which was as gory as it was spectacular). The outlandish thuggery was building nicely. At one point, a female fan burst a tube bundle over Jay Blade's back, which seemed bang out of order. It may have been a plant or pre-agreed, but it made little sense, if it was. The carnage continued though and the score was evened out at 1-1 after a inner to outer superplex through chairs and glass was followed up with a grapevine rear naked for the tap. 

image.thumb.png.6f1bd33616e2645b23274ad429051b89.png

We got some crazy action in the 3rd fall, as both men climbed up to the top of the increasingly blood splattered U-Haul rental truck. The 20+ fans came alive as these two traded setups atop the vehicle, before Sicko got planted on the roof with a really cool powerbomb. I'm not sure how well built these things are but that must have come close to fucking up the lid of the van. I guess these guys wouldn't be the ones paying for it... Jay Blade then climbed down and picked up a big bundle of loose tubes to head back toward the truck with. His plans would be foiled in breath taking fashion however, when Little Sicko came flying off the top with a cross body press. Glass everywhere, lacerations instantly opened in Blade's chest. 3 count, good night. 

image.thumb.png.484834bc6e53e5def929ffdc05875228.png

image.thumb.png.f62df1db328e2f3e24d5006055a92fd3.png

Easily match of the weekend so far. These guys took their time, told the story and built to the big spots. The use of vocalisations and hype up gestures added a level of emotion into the contest too, which can sometimes be overlooked in shorter matches. Really good one this, the day was building nicely. 

I hope you've enjoyed this analysis of the first half of Day 2, please stay tuned for the conclusion of the Carnage Cup Weekend

Edited by Richie Freebird
Formatting

IWA Deep South Carnage Cup Weekend 2023 - Day 2 Main Event Matches

Warning: This review contains NSWF imagery. Please click away now, unless you are in  a comfortable and appropriate setting to proceed...

Co-main event of the weekend time now as we find ourselves at the Spidar Boodrow Memorial 8-man Gauntlet. Rules are: Numbers drawn before the bout, single elimination by pinfall, submission or stoppage (no over the top eliminations), two men in the fight at any one time. Weaponry of all manner is not just legal, but encouraged... Lets quickly run down the combatants in order of appearance > Mack Ten, Redneck Rebel, Billy Moore, Obey, Hardcore Hillbilly, Jimmy Controversy (what a name), and Brian White.

image.thumb.png.e74efcec99d9b7fd67cadf16a139a6ea.png

With the stipulation and gimmicks on hand, I quite fancied a decent match here. Redneck Rebel (looking like he'd just returned from a particularly rough night at the House of 1000 Corpses) was in viciously assertive form in the early going. The balding Redneck smashed his way through the first 2 rounds rather one-sidedley, ensuring that he put sufficient glass and wire around the craniums of Mack Ten and Billy Moore. The latter tasted a rocket launcher off the top through a multi stacked glass and chair setup on the outside. Moore would honour the ding, whether he liked it or not.  

image.thumb.png.691f36d91abd929bd9540a53c3168b5d.png

The methodical pace was switched up slightly as certified mentalist Obey joined the match with a haymaker trade-off. After some boisterous battery, Redneck was given his marching orders by way of tube assisted dropkick. Its worth mentioning again here that Obey came out sans shoes & socks to a ring already sparkling with smithereens.... and then chose a dropkick through glass tubes as the logical finishing manoeuvre. Questionable tactics. 

Next out, shades of Haystacks Callhoun as the rotundly dungareed Hardcore Hillbilly joined the ruckus. Hardcore put his own stamp on affairs by bashing Obey's painted head in with a rubbish bin and lid. There seemed a little more weight in this bin than the ones we saw on television back in the day, which added additional grimace to the already wince inducing shots. Following some sound southern scuffling, the bin was flattened out like a McVittie's wafer after Hillbilly mangled it (along with his man Obey) with a ramshackle Vader bomb.

Obey's exit was Jimmy Controversy's entrance, as the gusset plates came into effect. Jimmy was on a mad one here, drawing light bulb bats and other spiky shenanigans with bad intentions. All of his early enthusiasm counted for little though, as big Hillbilly scattered the drawing pins and pancaked his man with a Bossman style sidewalk slam. A high energy round here, all things considered. 

image.thumb.png.c7a3634677a669cf7bc4ad085f272879.png

Final man out was Brian White. Whitey strode out to the old ICP penned Oddities theme, and was introduced by Larry Legend as the Deathmatch Juggalo (makes sense). Back in the ring, Hardcore took White's entrance as a chance to spark up a quick ciggy. The Hillbilly had chonged more than half, before extinguishing the remainder across Brian's scarred forehead. Unpleasant, yes. Unnecessary? Of course not, its the Spidar Boodrow Memorial 8-man Gauntlet deathmatch, after all! 

I thought this might have been a short night for Bry when big Hardcore got another bin out and flattened it over him by way of back senton. White was treated to more though, when he was hoisted off the ring apron through a light tube, wood frame contraption on the outside. Scary bump this, as White elected to take the impact armpit first. And, we all know how light tubes to the armpit has ended in the past (see Nick Gage, Tournament of Death VIII). 

image.thumb.png.f3b4098ec0fe1014b82a635e705a9b40.png

This was only enough for a 2 count however, and White regained his marbles and headed back to the ring. Once inside, the Deathmatch Juggalo jumped on Hillbilly's back for a tightly gripped rear naked choke. The plucky little guy hung on commendably, despite taking a back bump under the considerable torso girth of his opponent. Eventually, the the arm dropped thrice, and White was declared winner. The two finalists shared a handshake as Brian was decorated with a plaque, commemorating the victory. I really enjoyed this one. Thousands wouldn't, but I found it good quality fun throughout, with gears switching as entrants came and went. Happy days. 

image.thumb.png.357e4a96a25ea5d0922642fe33a38809.png

Main Event Time. No rope barbed wire deathmatch. Chuey Martinez vs Blaine Evans. 

So, the final match of the weekend of Carnage is upon us. Lets see if these boys can send the small crowd back to reputable society happy. The two shared a beer and some marijuana in the ring before the opening bell. Perhaps toasting another tasteless tournament's addition to the history books. The sun was dipping at this point, though not yet fully depleted. Visually, the rays of brilliance of the earlier matches had faded. It kind of felt like time to get this show wrapped up, so that we weren't relying on the fan's vehicles for lighting, again. The boys got right to it, beating glass over each other until the first big spot of the match arose.

Martinez (looking like a long lost Dudley, owing to his army shorts, dorky glasses and portly frame) chucked Blaine off the ring with a modified hip-toss, sending his man careering through a glass covered table, in what was a satisfying smash. This led to some wild fisticuffs and tube'icuffs on the outside, where the brawling remained for the next several minutes.

image.thumb.png.50cb80b9f39c7885d48aac95a5ce7ef6.png

image.thumb.png.587d7b3486bf963236d15dc51c97701b.png

A distinctive spot occurred when Chuey set a board of forks across Evans's prone torso and went for a back senton. Only, Evan's flipped the board, mid flight, giving Martinez a royal cutlery jabbing of his own. Further glass fracturing transpired, with Chuey not wishing to spare a single tube. The curtain finally dropped on the weekend's transgressions, when Martinez delivered a flying death valley driver from the ring to the floor (through a barbed wire frame contraption, set up over chairs, embellished with plentiful florescent tubes). 

image.thumb.png.ad2c1c1231eedf00a02cbd8dc726b922.png

image.thumb.png.f1f2728eb908f1501809107f0aa53f94.png

Evans was a blood ridden shambles at the conclusion of the contest. Crimson streaming down the back of his neck and shoulders. Chuey diced him up good in this ungraceful, yet somehow mutually respectable showdown. A decent match to conclude the weekend, by my account at least. Not the finest bout on the card by any means (that honour stays firmly with Little Sicko vs Jay Blade), but a conclusive sentiment to send the fans home satisfied. 

In totality, I very much enjoyed the two shows of this year's Carnage Cup. Really fun matches across both days (save for the Shit-Vivor Series craptacular). Just a good feeling to be back into the old scene, and to be enjoying fat hillbillies cutting each other up again. Fans of the style or not, I hope you've enjoyed this analysis as much as I've enjoyed putting it together. Thanks for your time, friends. Have a wonderful day. 

image.thumb.png.deb2c6c375a3542c894139c4c941c73c.png

Warrior of the weekend - Little Sicko. The boy performed his heart out. 

Edited by Richie Freebird
Formatting