Deathmatch Interest Thread 2 (NSFW)

Richie Freebird

XPW's deathmatch return went SEVEN HOURS and finished at 5am local time.

The winner destroyed the trophy and shouted "fuck Rob Black, fuck this company, fuck this trophy!"

PWInsider Report

The one review I've found, on Cagematch, calls it "surprisingly good" so I think I'll give it a go. 

Show results on Cagematch

Necro Butcher wrestled for almost 20 minutes, against Hoodfoot, easily the longest match on the show. I know Necro has been a sad state in recent videos, but fuck it, that's a dream pairing! 

Full show on YouTube

Of course the show starts with Rob Black front and center. Necro looked way better than what Ive previously seen for the last few years, which was great to see. Whatever he had, it looks like hes overcome it. Hightlights include about 8 unprotected headshots, and Necro going for his classic Tiger Driver but not having the strength, so just plants the guy on his head.

There was a roughly 40 minute wait for the final match as they had to set up the no rope barbed wire gimmick. Cant imagine what it would have been like to be in the crowd at 4am and having to wait 40 minutes to see the final. Suprised most of the crowd hadnt left by then. The end just seemed like classic Rob Black, adding stuff like the promo and that woman for absolutley no reason. Instead of just having two of the biggest death match wrestlers having a match, stupid stuff was added to just for the sake of it.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Ro_y Disco said:

XPW's deathmatch return went SEVEN HOURS and finished at 5am local time.

And here I thought the bloke who does security in the Sainsbury's over the road from me being in the tournament would be the most surreal thing about it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Eh, I saw this one doing the rounds on social media the other week. Doing a light-tubes and weed-strimmers blood-soaked death-match when you haven't advertised it as such, and sold family tickets, is fucking stupid. And dangerous.  All because they put their fantasy of being someone first. Absolute morons.

Going by the photos, surely the venue owners have to be pissed off, having to clean blood out of their carpet? 

The event poster gives no clues that a match like that is going to happen. 3 out of 5 doors. That's just the new indie table. 

I used to know some of the lads that are wrestling for CCW when I was in college and have been following what they’re doing on social media with baffled amusement. The death match is obviously ridiculous. But, why the fuck did they book the local conservative club? Murton is an old colliery town and the promotion styles itself as some sort of bizarre mining-based promotion. Fuck the tories, let them scrub blood from the carpets 🤣

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A bit late here but Goto was a severely underrated wrestler, I said so elsewhere but he was the glue that kept much of FMW together with many big matches made just that much better with his excellent psychology and pure wrestling ability.

I rewatched his NWA title match with Dan Severn and it gets better with age, it's just the best paced old school hard hitting brawl and feels more impactful than many of the deathmatches on the same show. I'd rather watch that than the legendary Funk v Cactus final.

There's a really good retrospective of his career, going through a playlist of matches and reviewing them featuring the Bahu FMW lad.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-beginners-guide-to-japanese-wrestling-part-78/id1086452023?i=1000565326301

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

my only recollections of Goto are that Severn match, the infamous fire match involving Sabu, Onita & The Shiek, and seeing him rock up up on those old FMW compilations.

Just googled the fire match, and theres some mental images of that crazy shit floating about:

EeXWW6MXsAAnnBh.jpeg.thumb.jpg.096eace6eb83c92547e2e0d1b8ae0637.jpg

Dso_ZurUUAAkcfV.thumb.jpg.04207186e64a5a16609cc7bb86bdf23c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...