2013/2014 Scottish Football Thread

David

I think the period at Brentford sullied his opportunity of getting a decent job, after he was viewed as not necessarily good enough in the early 90's managing Coventry and Sunderland. Barnsley offered him the chance to succeed Keith Hill but he rightly turn it down, Barnsley is a poisoned chalice. It seems to me that Butcher gets it in Scotland in a way that he doesn't get it anywhere else.

I'd say he's largely changed his philosophy too, he's finding success with young, hungry players, who have proven ability. Of which he's done a great job finding and bringing the best out of them.

He never got much of a chance down in Australia or at Brentford where the fans were against him from day 1, what with their feelings towards their old manager.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Perhaps he struggles with expectation as I think Brentford were expected to challenge in League Two during his time there and after he left Andy Scott managed it fairly easily. Butcher's strength seems to be managing the smaller Scottish sides and getting them organised and playing well on a small budget.

He's been linked with a few job's this year already (Boro?) and I would imagine he'd have got something top end of League One if he held out. Just seems a strange move to me at his age unless he thinks Hibs have potential to do something or he thinks he'll get the Rangers job fairly soon. I don't see McCoist leaving there anytime soon though unless he decides he's had enough.

• Paid Members
Butcher's been in the management game since about 1991. He must have been at an extraordinary amount of clubs now. He's never without a job.

After he left Sunderland in 92 he never had another managers job for nearly 10 years Baz.

• Paid Members
Butcher's been in the management game since about 1991. He must have been at an extraordinary amount of clubs now. He's never without a job.

After he left Sunderland in 92 he never had another managers job for nearly 10 years Baz.

Holy crap. You're right there. Did he do anything of note at Sunderland? Must have been shit if he didn't have a job for ages after it.

I don't think you can under estimate the importance of Maurice Malpas in Butcher's success. I've know someone who worked under them at Motherwell who sings their praises and by all accounts it was very much the old double act with Malpas taking care of all the tactical side of things in terms of the teams shape and overseeing the majority of training leaving the motivational and man management side of things to Butcher which, undeniably, is his strength.

I know thats not that uncommon in football nowadays - Martin O'Neill and Steve Walford / John Robertson instantly spring to mind - and i think it's vital he goes with Butcher to Hibs.

He also has an excellent scout, name escapes me right now, who gets the plaudits for unearthing all the younger players they seem to keep picking up from the lower leagues in England who more often than not have done the business for ICT.

I don't think you can under estimate the importance of Maurice Malpas in Butcher's success. I've know someone who worked under them at Motherwell who sings their praises and by all accounts it was very much the old double act with Malpas taking care of all the tactical side of things in terms of the teams shape and overseeing the majority of training leaving the motivational and man management side of things to Butcher which, undeniably, is his strength.

Who the fuck told you that?!? Malpas is easily one of the worst managers we've ever had! If he was in charge of the tactics, training and team shape when Butcher was there, why did he fuck shit up so bad when he was handed the job?

Malpas was a joke at Fir Park.

Who the fuck told you that?!? Malpas is easily one of the worst managers we've ever had! If he was in charge of the tactics, training and team shape when Butcher was there, why did he fuck shit up so bad when he was handed the job?

Sum of the parts is greater etc. It's an old cited example but Brian Clough and Peter Taylor had far less success when not paired together than when they were a team.

Sum of the parts is greater etc. It's an old cited example but Brian Clough and Peter Taylor had far less success when not paired together than when they were a team.

Look at the difference in Sunderland with John Robertson there compared to when he left as well.

We were right behind the goal and whilst the actual penalty they got shouldn't have been, how he missed the handball on the line I'll never know. Saying that, McGinn should have buried the pen, I think the dons would have been comfy at that point. But the defence was shitty for the first 2 they lost. Not much they could do with the third. That was just a cracking goal.

Ryan Gauld is the brightest prospect Scotland has had in a very long time. Very good technically. His low centre of gravity and the way he dribbles draws comparisons to Messi. Doesn't go to ground easy either. Hope he stays with Utd for a few more seasons.

Archived