2013/2014 Scottish Football Thread

David

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the dust has settled in a few years, how does anyone think Lennon's tenure as Celtic manager will be viewed? He won the SPL the first season when Rangers were deducted ten points, albeit under circumstances that would've seen them win the league even despite that. Last season they were pretty much unopposed and whilst they made it to the last sixteen of the Champions League, one would have to say that in such an uncompetitive environment that should've been their main focus of the season. He's never won the League Cup which, whilst it tends to be of significantly less importance than the other trophies, is still a psychological advantage as the first available trophy of the season. Multiple bans and controversial incidents have surrounded him (although I do not refer to the idiocy of some fans, which has to be considered blameless regardless of his occasionally stupid behaviour) and ultimately he has probably not achieved as much as he could've. That said, the triumphs of reaching the Champions League group stage twice have been important and he does have two Scottish Cups also to his name.

Where will he stand in future? More importantly, if we assume that the SPFL Premiership at some point becomes competitive, will he remain in a job?

• Paid Members

If Rangers were at full strength, he'd be out on his ear. Even though Rangers were deducted ten points, it was still close at the end of that season. Rangers were absolutely cantering that campaign before Naismith (who was on freaking fire) got injured and then the money problems.

I just don't think he's a good manager and I don't know why. He doesn't seem interested in it at all. Seems bored half the time. Going through the motions. I bet he leaves when he stirs enough shit that something happens on the streets. Both him and McCoist seem that type. I dread to think of the trouble that will happen in the next Old Firm game.

If Rangers were at full strength, he'd be out on his ear. Even though Rangers were deducted ten points, it was still close at the end of that season. Rangers were absolutely cantering that campaign before Naismith (who was on freaking fire) got injured and then the money problems.

I just don't think he's a good manager and I don't know why. He doesn't seem interested in it at all. Seems bored half the time. Going through the motions. I bet he leaves when he stirs enough shit that something happens on the streets. Both him and McCoist seem that type. I dread to think of the trouble that will happen in the next Old Firm game.

They were a point behind before any point deductions. The money problems had been known about for years, they weren't new. Rangers didn't go into administration until February, Celtic were ahead in the league by then.

I'm not Lennon's biggest fan as I feel he is unable to motivate players to play against shite, despite a good ability to motivate them against bigger clubs.

Celtic also won the league by 20 points so it wasn't really that close. At one point Rangers were 15 points clear and Celtic had reduced that advanatge and were a point ahead before any deductions so I think its fair to say they would have won the league regardless.

I like Lennon and the only issue I have with him is the same as FUM's.

I on't know if it's all that unexpected. Aberdeen have a good squad and it looks like it's beginning to click for them. Beating Inverness 1-0 and Thistle 3-0 in the league are impressive results and I think they should be 2nd this year. Unless you mean from a cup hoodoo point of view, but that's what semi finals are for.

• Paid Members
I on't know if it's all that unexpected. Aberdeen have a good squad and it looks like it's beginning to click for them. Beating Inverness 1-0 and Thistle 3-0 in the league are impressive results and I think they should be 2nd this year. Unless you mean from a cup hoodoo point of view, but that's what semi finals are for.

When you've had as many disapointments as I have then nothing positive is expected with Aberdeen. :(

• Paid Members
Celtic also won the league by 20 points so it wasn't really that close.

Weird. Thought it was a lot closer than that. Sorry about that!

See if Rangers won the league that season. What would have happened to their Champions League place? Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived