2013/2014 Scottish Football Thread

David

Surely not Stuart McCall as I've heard mentioned. The last guy leaving a team in second to go there I'm sure regrets it and that was before dropping into a lower division that you have little chance of winning.

It's career suicide taking that job even if you'd been a success up to that point. Lots of managers seem to fail there who have succeeded elsewhere - Hughes, Butcher, Fenlon, Mixu. I reckon it will be Ian Murray. Plenty of experienced managers haven't worked out so I think they might go the other way on it. Younger managers like McInnes, Coyle, Hartley, McNamara, Lennon, Archibald and Neil have had success in Scotland recently so why not roll the dice with an up and comer.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Surely not Stuart McCall as I've heard mentioned. The last guy leaving a team in second to go there I'm sure regrets it and that was before dropping into a lower division that you have little chance of winning.

I heard the McCall rumour and it just shows that (despite the success they've had) how small time Motherwell actually are.

He'd be stupid to take the Hibs job though.

The club are a mess from top to bottom, the fans are restless and they likely will be in the Championship for 2 seasons unless something drastic happens to The Rangers. What's the appeal?

I heard the McCall rumour and it just shows that (despite the success they've had) how small time Motherwell actually are.

I'll assume you didn't mean that as an insult, as we're a very well run club (who operates completely without a wealthy owner to bail us out) who have the unfortunate geographical location of Lanarkshire, which is a hotbed of religious shite and thus provides both Celtic and Sevco with a decent chunk of their support.

Welcome to Celtic, Ronny Deila.

Bit of a surprise appointment and I don't think there will be many supporters that have ever heard of him. Seems the Celtic board are playing it cautiously as he's on a 12 month rolling contract, not that he won't at least win the league. Despite never having heard of him before I'm still pretty happy with the decision, other than Malky Mackay I didn't want to see any of the other names that were floating about get the job.

Every Celtic manager gets a 12 month rolling contract, even Martin O'Neill had one

I've got a Hibs supporting mate and he said if he was a betting man he would go for McCall. Can't see it personally. He was saying how there is loads of pressure on whoever gets the job and I guess there is but it all depends on what happens. If Rangers or more importantly and/or Hearts go up then that is bad news for Hibs. However, if only Rangers went up, I don't think it would be all bad news. Hibs need someone to stamp their style and have a decent long-term plan. They seem to go through loads of players on short-term deals or loans deals. Someone needs to set out a blueprint.

The same mate, who stressed it would never happen, wanted someone like Chris Hughton, who would work with the club from top to bottom. It's a strange one, I don't think there are really any massively obvious candidates. I'd be disappointed if McCall took the step down, you would fancy McLeish and Mowbray want something more and both might disappear when a bigger job comes along. On the Mowbray angle, wonder if Mark Proctor would be interested. Good with the youth side of the squad anyway but not sure if he fancies it or would even be considered.

Archived