UFC 162: 'Silva vs Weidman'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh. Fuck Tim Kennedy.

Good show.

:thumbsup:

Kennedy did what he had to do, but I started having Jake Shields type reactions to him, which puts him in the fuck off column in my book.

Watched the card live with Jim and a few others and we were all in a state of shock when Silva went down, I thought Weidmans chance was with a decision win.

I still dont quite believe I saw Silva get KO'd, Hes always seemed near invincible. Even in the Sonnen fight, He was clearly winning but if you watch Silva, he was always relaxed and composed, this was something else.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As said above by Kawai Guy I watched this live, so with my lack of sleep the result is only just sinking in.

I can only speculate as to why Anderson clowned around to that degree, it is my opinion he was trying to bait Weidman into a stand up battle (I think it was more a strategic move rather than arrogance), where he could throw a fight ending counter strike. Weidman looked top draw on the ground and I doubt Anderson wanted to be there for long, Rogan claimed his GnP was not doing much damage but they were meaty blows that were landing cleaner than Rogan gave them credit for.

One thing we can not underestimate is that there was skill to Weidman's knockout. Weidman set up that fight ending punch with a flicker jab so Anderson would weave into a position where Weidman could land flush. Did Anderson go too far with the clowning? Yes, and I still think Anderson has a huge advantage in terms of slickness and speed in the striking department over Weidman, but Weidman took advantage of Anderson's cockiness, baiting or whatever you want to call it. Not any fighter could do that.

That said, there is enough reasonable doubt that it was more Anderson losing the fight internally, rather than Weidman winning the fight through being the better fight to warrant a rematch. Unlike other big time fights like Jones vs Sonnen, GSP vs Diaz and JDS vs Cain 2 I do not think we learnt a definitive conclusion last night to who was the better fighter. There is still enough doubt for me to want to watch a rematch. I am not sure who I would select in a rematch.

The knockout itself felt very surreal, once the combo started given Anderson's clowning I felt he was going to get caught, but the experience itself of a man of mystic proportions being laid out took a good few seconds to sink in. Whatever your feelings, it was a great MMA/Sporting moment that would give even the most jaded MMA fan a strong opinion.

Only just got around to watching this.

Call yourself an MMA fan ;). Wondered where you were.

Question, if you had to give one Fight of the Night bonus like it usually is, which fight would you give it to? I'd give it to Swanson/Siver. Swanson probably thought he was getting two bonuses till Weidman came along.

Good funny made point on GSP. Like you I would now have GSP and Jones above him. Depends on your criteria such as longevity, opponents faced and how you value finishes.

Question, if you had to give one Fight of the Night bonus like it usually is, which fight would you give it to? I'd give it to Swanson/Siver. Swanson probably thought he was getting two bonuses till Weidman came along.

Before the event I put some money on Swanson/Siver to be FOTN on Paddy Power (5/1), with Dana splitting the bonus between two fights it meant I only got half the amount of the winnings :angry:.

Though I still thought that was FOTN myself, I couldn't really get into Frankie/Oliveira myself (perhaps tiredness).

Silva could have cost UFC and himself a lot of money with his dicking around and subsequent loss to Weidman, as the Super fights with GSP and Jones do not really have the same feel or momentum going for them now and will probably never happen. It was entertaining to watch him play games with Weidman, but you just knew that someone was going to catch him sooner or later if he kept his hands down.

Who does Silva fight now though if he doesn't want Weidman or the Middleweight belt? He doesn't want Belfort again and I'm not sure he would view Bisping as a big fight for him. Maybe a move upto 205lb to fight a few of the top stars there? Shogun, Evans?

On a side note, what was the big GSP announcement at the post-fight press conference?

• Paid Members
Silva could have cost UFC and himself a lot of money with his dicking around and subsequent loss to Weidman, as the Super fights with GSP and Jones do not really have the same feel or momentum going for them now and will probably never happen.

The GSP fight was never going to happen anyway. That's one of the best things about Silva finally losing; Georges doesn't have to dodge the question and refuse to give a proper answer whenever the fights is suggested anymore. It was growing ridiculously tiresome how he'd string everyone along pretending there was a possibility when it was clear as day that he was never going to go for it.

WOW! Well, my Mrs got that one! She's doing better than me this year at predictions lol. Good show. First time though I've ever had problems with the stream. Kept getting logged out, it struggled sometimes and froze a couple times including just after the post Weidman interview. :-s

Exact same thing happened to me, I dropped them an email and they gave me a refund.

He's a complete moron for allowing himself to be so far back and off balance as he did his usual taunting and feinting in the ortagon. You could have blown on him top put him down with the first shot landed, but the second one as Weidman came crashing down and Silva had no chance to protect his chin was the final blow. I've seen crazy moves in this world but what what was he thinking. He's a complete idiot and got what he wad due. He doesn't seem to want a rematch next, but isn't retiring. Been a lot of talk on a boxing fight between he and Roy Jones Jr, bar that maybe he had enough and will just go after super fights against likes of Bones Jones and St Pierre. One of the biggest shocks in a long time.

• Paid Members
Only just got around to watching this.

Call yourself an MMA fan ;). Wondered where you were.

I had other stuff going on on Saturday so I ended up just Sky+ing it and watching Sunday instead.

Has anyone seen the post-fight media scrum with Dana yet? It's on YouTube. You know the other day I was on about Dana possibly not being as into the superfights as he was making out? Well, maybe I'm imagining it but he seemed pretty fucking pleased during the scrum that the superfight talk is over for a bit. I know shit happens in combat sports but if he was really wanting to make those Silva vs Jones/GSP fights as much as he made out, then his reaction at the post-fight press conference and media scrum was quite odd. You'd expect at least the old 'Brock just lost' face to make a return. But no. He seemed genuinely very happy considering the two possible UFC megafights just got killed. He was even saying he was glad he didn't have the pressure anymore to make one of those fights.

Yeah I noticed that as well. Weirdly my video for it died about 7 minutes in, but I did catch that he didn't seem the least bit angry or upset about losing those fights, and we all know Dana to be a guy that wears his heart on his sleeve.

Personally, I'm bummed about losing Silva vs. Jones. Silva vs. GSP never really appealed to me.

Now Jones is the only one who can make some possible super fights, against Cain and JDS at heavyweight, but they don't have quite the same shine as the Silva fights.

• Paid Members

As ever, most of what needs to be said already has been by guys more knowledgeable and articulate than I.

Honestly speaking though, i thought Anderson had gotten into Weidman's head. I know he spent a portion of Round 1 on his back, but he managed to get to his feet and from then on until he got clipped, it was looking just like the Forrest Griffin fight, he even stuffed two or three supposedly indefensible takedown attempts. Yes, he got caught because he was fucking around and is therefore largely responsible for it so i'm by no means saying it was a 'fluke', but Anderson lost that fight, I didnt see a great deal from Weidman to suggest that he'd win that fight over 5 rounds. Do i think he'll trounce the rest of the division? Very probably, but i think he'll be very grateful to Anderson for moving on and allowing him to do so.

I know that's not going to be a very popular viewpoint, and i dont mean to discredit Weidman as he is undoubtedly a very talented guy, but i dont buy for one second all this "He didnt get sucked into Anderson's game" shit. I think he did, but credit to him didnt stand and throw one punch at a time trying to stay in the fight like most others before him.

I will say this, if his choice of entrance music as a fucking awesome as that every time he fights for the title, then long and often may his reign continue.

• Paid Members
As ever, most of what needs to be said already has been by guys more knowledgeable and articulate than I.

Honestly speaking though, i thought Anderson had gotten into Weidman's head. I know he spent a portion of Round 1 on his back, but he managed to get to his feet and from then on until he got clipped, it was looking just like the Forrest Griffin fight, he even stuffed two or three supposedly indefensible takedown attempts. Yes, he got caught because he was fucking around and is therefore largely responsible for it so i'm by no means saying it was a 'fluke', but Anderson lost that fight, I didnt see a great deal from Weidman to suggest that he'd win that fight over 5 rounds. Do i think he'll trounce the rest of the division? Very probably, but i think he'll be very grateful to Anderson for moving on and allowing him to do so.

I know that's not going to be a very popular viewpoint, and i dont mean to discredit Weidman as he is undoubtedly a very talented guy, but i dont buy for one second all this "He didnt get sucked into Anderson's game" shit. I think he did, but credit to him didnt stand and throw one punch at a time trying to stay in the fight like most others before him.

I will say this, if his choice of entrance music as a fucking awesome as that every time he fights for the title, then long and often may his reign continue.

I completely disagree. Firstly, you may have been right if Anderson was landing, but the irony of this was Weidman dodged every single shot Anderson threw at him during the taunts. Unlike Forrest Griffin, Weidman's head movement was superb and I don't even think he landed one punch. Silva landed a few kicks but nothing else.

Weidman was confident in his entire game and at no point did he look flustered or even rush into anything that could have cost him the fight. Furthermore only one takedown was stuffed if I remember rightly?

You could tell as soon as Silva was taken down he shat himself. He didn't want any part of Weidman on the ground and subsequently turned to the taunts. In the past, the taunts have have come whilst Anderson was clearly on top and toying with his opponents, this time it was in desperation.

• Paid Members

I can't see Anderson's next fight being anything but a title rematch. If these Super fights are dead in the water, and he doesn't want to go to 205, then the last thing the UFC will want is him sticking around at Middleweight and blowing through the next potential challengers for Weidman. The rematch will do big business and he's got 10 fights left. It'll happen.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure what to think about this. Whilst I don't want to take anything away from Weidman it feels like Silva lost this fight rather than feeling like Weidman beat him (if that makes sense?). It might sound stupid but I still don't feel like I've seen Anderson dethroned rather than him piss the title away. When Sonnen came close it felt like we (almost) saw Silva 100% beat but this fight felt like Silva gave the title away. The rematch should (hopefully) go a long way to answering any questions. Would an 'all business' Silva go out & do to Weidman what he did to Belfort? I can't help but feel that Silva takes the rematch & this will end up being a weird blip in his career, the fight he gave the belt away by giving Weidman a bunch of free shots & trying to be 'entertaining' by giving everyone more highlight reel footage, as opposed to the moment the champ was toppled.

• Paid Members

I completely disagree. Firstly, you may have been right if Anderson was landing, but the irony of this was Weidman dodged every single shot Anderson threw at him during the taunts. Unlike Forrest Griffin, Weidman's head movement was superb and I don't even think he landed one punch. Silva landed a few kicks but nothing else.

Weidman was confident in his entire game and at no point did he look flustered or even rush into anything that could have cost him the fight. Furthermore only one takedown was stuffed if I remember rightly?

You could tell as soon as Silva was taken down he shat himself. He didn't want any part of Weidman on the ground and subsequently turned to the taunts. In the past, the taunts have have come whilst Anderson was clearly on top and toying with his opponents, this time it was in desperation.

Anderson was landing that lightning jab of his, perhaps not cleanly but i guess the point i'm making in comparing with the Griffin fight, is that he wasnt getting hit either. His movement left Weidman swinging at air.

You're right, Chris didnt crumble or panic, but to me, he clearly froze, he was hesitant, he had a dominant period in the first round securing that takedown and holding position, he never tried for that again, not was he aggressive in coming forward until of course the flurry where it invariably paid off for him, by which point it seems pretty common opinion, shared by me I might add, that Anderson had been fucking about far too much for far too long.

Not just saying this to disagree for the sake of it, but i really didnt see the 'panic' from Anderson when the fight went to the ground.

Archived