UFC 162: 'Silva vs Weidman'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The more I think about it, I really think Dana might try to make this Anderson Silva vs Roy Jones fight, as mad as it sounds. He's never wanted to do it before so why does he suddenly seem open to it now? He said no for years, now it's "we'll see" and they've "been talking" and he's the UFC's 'guest' tomorrow.

I think he'll try to make it as a favour so that Anderson owes him one. I think we're going to have to get through the farce that is Silva vs Roy Jones to get the megafight that is Silva vs Jon Jones. It's the only reason I can think why Dana's suddenly open to the RJJ fight. This way Anderson gets to tick 'fight my idol' off his bucket list, and Dana cashes in on Spider vs Bones.

Sounds mental but I wouldn't be surprised if this is what Dana is cooking up. The Rock smells it.

Well, Roy Jones has just texted Kevin Iole to tell him he's off to a meeting with Dana about the possibility of him fighting MMA. Entirely Roy Jones' idea supposedly, whether Dana is up for it is another thing though.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish Roy Jones would just retire. It's such a shame seeing someone who was such a superb fighter to wanna keep trying to fight on, whether it be boxing or MMA when he simply is past it. If he needed the money I could understand, but he doesn't. He needs to be saved from himself. If Silva deals with Weidman, I hope he fights Bones Jones next, that's the only super fight I really want to see happen.

• Paid Members

Just been watching a bunch of hype stuff on YouTube. Dana's scrum, our mate Ariel's interviews, the lot. It's got me excited about tomorrow.

*Dana went spastic about fighter pay again during the scrum. Whether you agree with him or not, give it a watch it's worth it.

*Anderson Silva did his interview in English, sounding like Michael Jackson as usual. He namedropped GSP and Jones the little tease.

*Weidman seems really calm and confident but not overly. Doesn't seem to be rattled by the occasion which is a good sign for him obviously.

The staredown at the press conference;

1013475_10151745161314479_2024394276_n.jpg

Also, check out Ray Longo on the MMA Hour if you haven't already. I love Longo. Ariel was stirring tension between Longo and Seagal, Longo's not a fan of the 'Sensei'. Joe Silva should put that fight together.

Still haven't saw the countdown yet. I think I'll squeeze that and the weigh ins in later or tomorrow.

• Paid Members

Just rang Virgin to add ESPN for tonight. They refused to do so. Due to the imminent dropping of ESPN for BT Sport. They couldn't give me any details of price or start date for BT Sport though.

Any tips on how I can watch/record tonights show?

Can you record a UFC show from a Sky box?

Just rang Virgin to add ESPN for tonight. They refused to do so. Due to the imminent dropping of ESPN for BT Sport. They couldn't give me any details of price or start date for BT Sport though.

I hook up my PC to my TV and buy the PPVs. The PPVs are

• Paid Members

Will anyone here be really surprised if Weidman wins this one?

I will be. I mean, sure, it's MMA and I guess we all know anything can happen - so if it does, fair enough - but it's hard for me to see what people are basing their belief in Weidman on. I think the best fighter he's fought is Maia and it was a close three round fight in which Maia landed almost the same number of strikes. For now it's hard for me to imagine him taking shots like that from Silva and surviving for too long. If he does it, good for him, but, yeah, I'll be as surprised as MMA reasonably allows.

• Paid Members

I'll be surprised to an extent if Weidman wins. But not massively or anything. I'm more surprised that some people are acting like it's a foregone conclusion and seem surprised when anyone picks Anderson. I get he has an interesting style to give Anderson some trouble, but looking at it realistically, he's had 9 fights. 9. Anderson's had more UFC fights than Weidman's had MMA fights. And not just more fights, he was fighting better opposition than Weidman was as well. Quality and quantity. Weidman's never fought on PPV before. Or 5 rounds. Let alone a PPV headliner, for the title, after a year out of action, and against the best fighter on the planet. It's a big ask.

Style wise he's a threat no doubt, but it's not like we shouldn't be surprised if he beats Anderson. Whether Weidman is as good as he's being cracked up to or not, the UFC have clearly done a stellar hype job on him to have people acting like it wouldn't even be a surprise if he wins tonight. Off the strength of one impressive big name win over an injured Mark Munoz, people are willing to believe he's the favourite? Anderson has blown everyone away countless times yet one awesome performance from Weidman a year ago, and a load of fighters bigging him up has people acting like Silva's fucked?

Weidman might win tonight but based on what we've seen, not heard, I can't pick him over Anderson.

Oh and you know how the MMA sites were acting like Weidman has been tapping out Roger Gracie in training? Gracie himself says they've never even trained together, they're just loosely affiliated through Weidman being a Serra student, and Serra being a Renzo Gracie blackbelt. Roger just said he thinks "maybe" Weidman could catch him.

Sticking with a Silva KO in 2.

The weigh ins looked awesome with the big tarted up stage and screens and all that jazz. Big time feel to it.

Will anyone here be really surprised if Weidman wins this one?

I will be. I mean, sure, it's MMA and I guess we all know anything can happen - so if it does, fair enough - but it's hard for me to see what people are basing their belief in Weidman on. I think the best fighter he's fought is Maia and it was a close three round fight in which Maia landed almost the same number of strikes. For now it's hard for me to imagine him taking shots like that from Silva and surviving for too long. If he does it, good for him, but, yeah, I'll be as surprised as MMA reasonably allows.

To be fair, Weidman was drafted in to fight 11 days before that fight, and still won quite comfortably.

I would be surprised if Weidman beats Anderson, but not completly surprised. He is unbeaten, has finished all his fights bar the 11 day notice Maia fight. He could end up being the 185 Jon Jones, just a lot less flashy.

Also, not seen this mentioned before in this post, but has anyone seen that Weidmans last fight before he entered the UFC was a KO victory over Uriah Hall?

• Paid Members

Archived