UFC 162: 'Silva vs Weidman'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Tell you a fight we're all forgetting? Cub Swanson vs Dennis Siver. That could very well steal the show. I completely forgot it was even happening until I just looked at the card again on MMAJunkie. I don't know who to pick in that one, it's a tossup. Maybe give the edge to Swanson with his recent momentum but Siver's a tank.

Wand summed the fight up great there. I'm going for Silva via TKO in the first round. Weidman should have everything it would take to beat Silva but I'm not convinced he'll do it. I really don't think he could go 5 rounds without Silva catching him with something. Unless Gracie isn't bullshitting and Weidman is a beast with submissions and manages to catch Silva with a sub.

Swanson vs. Siver should be a great fight, Siver has looked great at featherweight and Swanson is on an impressive run of wins. I'm picking Swanson but it really is a tossup like wand said.

Well, based on that, I'm picking Boestch. Munoz has spent too much time at fat camp to be able to improve his MMA skills :p

This card has snuck up on me, I thought we were a few weeks away from it, but it's just a few days out? Glorious.

The closer we get to the event, the more I'm getting this gut feeling that Anderson will obliterate Weidman. He's been out of action a year and has had a total of 8 MMA fights, there's no way he can live up to the impossibly high mark he's set himself. I call it, "The Sonnen Effect". He's talked a lot, and showed a great amount of ability 12 months ago, but Anderson Silva is the greatest of all time. Renzo Gracie was whinging the other day that Anderson isn't humble. How could he be, with all his accomplishments? I'd be cocky as fuck too.

As for the rest of the card:

I love Charles Oliveira, he's immensely talented, but Edgar is too experienced at the highest level. I don't think either have a significant speed advantage, and Oliveira's got a very offensive guard that could give Edgar problems in the ground game, but I also think Oliveira has a bit of a suspect chin. Cerrone and Swanson are dangerous strikers, but I don't think Oliveira's shown an ability to take a good shot and keep coming yet. Edgar's power can be a little underrated, although Oliveira is a more diverse striker. Ultimately, Edgar nicks a decision, but it could even be a split. I think he gets top position in a round and staggers Oliveira in another to take 2 rounds.

Swanson vs. Siver should be a wild one. Leaning towards a Swanson TKO, but you never know with Siver's recent form.

Forgot Tim Kennedy was on this card until I checked Wiki. Boring bastard. Hopefully Roger Gracie completely shuts him down for the worst UFC debut possible. To be fair, it could be an interesting chess match of grappling skill ala' Fitch/Maia. I think Kennedy makes a wrong move and gets finished with an arm triangle.

Prelims, hmm... Leben's back! Andrew Craig is getting a nice step up, good, I like him, he's an aggressive fighter who should hopefully bring out the brawler in Leben. I'll pick Leben via TKO in a return to form after that Brunson fight.

Someone smash Norman Parke, irritating fuck. I don't have the greatest recollection of Tokudome, but I know I've seen him fight. Go son!

Gonzaga vs. Herman should be fun. Herman's 1-3 in the UFC, he needs a win in the worst way. It's weird, I like Herman, but he really doesn't seem to give a fuck when he fights.

Barboza is going to knock someone out, yay! Can we accept the Varner fight as an abberation and get back to giving Barboza elite fighters? I wouldn't mind seeing a Pearson re-match for starters.

Facebook prelims, let's have a look... who did Mike Pierce piss off? 3 fight win streak, losses only to Hendricks, Fitch and Koscheck since 2009, and he gets the FB opener? I'm not his biggest fan, but that's a raw deal. Should have stuck Stormin' Norman on there :p

• Paid Members

yeh Pierce is getting a bit of a bum deal, hes suffering at the moment for being too quiet, he just goes about his business without anyone reallg noticing. He earned some top fights after his last run but a singles loss seems to knock him right down the pack more than it does others.

• Paid Members

It's quite bizarre with this card for me. I'm so pumped for Silva/Weidman and terribly neglecting the rest of this card.

I mean christ, imagine what this card would have been like with Zombie/Lamas on it and even without it, it still looks awesome.

Yeah, it's weird Pierce opening up the FB prelims but as everyone says, you just never hear anything from him.

I'm excited for the return of Munoz. Before the Weidman fight everyone was talking like he would be the next big thing and the one to dethrone Silva. There was something obviously wrong with him in his last fight as he looked out of shape too. I'm praying for a Munoz to decimate Boetsch as Boetsch is god awful.

• Paid Members

Yeah, although I wouldn't pick him to win, Munoz is another who, with the right gameplan, could possibly give Anderson some grief. He's basically Chael Sonnen, minus the trash talk but plus a shitload more power. He's trained with Anderson before at Black House so that's adds a little twist as well.

But yeah, I'd pick Anderson by KO in that one as well though. The two who I think have the best shot at beating him are Chris Weidman and Jacare, but even them I'd still pick Anderson. Belfort possibly with an outside chance, could catch him in a rematch but it's not likely.

• Paid Members

Dana is saying that if Anderson loses this weekend, he'll most likely get an immediate rematch. Makes sense given the guy's UFC record. But let's talk crazy for a second and say hypothetically, Weidman comes out, throws Anderson around like a frisbee and TKOs or submits him in 2 minutes. Remember Joe Lauzon vs Gabe Ruediger? Like that. It sounds ridiculous but say that happens, would Anderson still get an immediate rematch?

It doesn't feel like Anderson Silva is fighting in a few days does it? This time last year Chaelamania was running wild and we were counting the days for UFC 148. Even the Bonnar fight had the Rocky story. The build up for this has been relatively quiet. That actually might take some of the pressure off for Weidman.

Countdown is tonight in America so it should surface online tomorrow.

• Paid Members

i think he gets offered a rematch regardless of how it goes. Im fucking pumped, the fact that i gotta wait 8 days to see the fucker after it happens is just eating me alive.

the buildup is strange and it really feels like many people believe Anderson is going to get crushed.

• Paid Members

Not long come back from my holibobs & have pretty much slept on the run up to this. Pumped for this card from top to bottom -

Anderson Silva vs Chris Weidman - Can't lok past another Anderson victory. It seems that every time he fights there's people claimging that 'Opponent X' has the tools to trouble Silva but the outcome is always the same. KO win by the Spider in R2.

Frankie Edgar vs Charles Oliveira - Frankie on points. I think Edgar is a massive step up in competition for Oliveira & a really tough fight coming off the Swanson KO. Oliveira's been given a really tough match-up here.

Roger Gracie vs Tim Kennedy - Typing 'Gracie by submission' almost feels like a clich

• Paid Members

Oliveira to me seems to have a problem with getting hit. Obviously no-one likes it, but he seems to just fold almost every time he takes a good shot. He did it in the Cerrone fight and even worse in the Swanson fight where he had a sort of a delayed reaction and just went down and curled up and accepted defeat. It's a shame because he's got a ton of talent and he's got a lot going for him with him being young and lanky for a featherweight, awesome BJJ and underrated offensive striking, but he does seem to have a bit of the Frank Mir syndrome where he goes into his shell if things get rough.

It's an interesting fight with him and Frankie. Edgar's been a bit of a slow starter in recent years so he might have to up the aggression early on in this one with it only being 3 rounds. He hasn't got time to catch up like in the Maynard fights. It's Frankie's fight to lose for me though. I could see Frankie even stopping him if he really pushes the pace.

• Paid Members

i'd like to see Frankie really push for a finish in the fight. Im interested to see if it hits the deck though because all of Frankie's fights seem to take place on the feet these days or near enough, i don't think Oliveira is gonna attempt to box with him so it could be different looking type of Frankie fight, though one he should come through comfortably considering the standards he's been fighting at.

• Paid Members

Yeah it could get very interesting if it hits the ground. Can Oliveira get it there though? With Frankie's wrestling plus him being shorter, it's going to be difficult for Oliveira to take it to the ground. It seems like a really hard style match up for him.

Archived