UFC 162: 'Silva vs Weidman'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
Whilst I've yet to click on supremos vid, I thought this was known straight away? You see when Joe Silva comes into the cage looking happy as a pig in shit when shaking Weidman's hand, and then on the second occasion you see Weidman mouthing off mentioning disrespect.

I didn't pick up on it when I watched it. But I was looking after my niece at the time. I must say I do find it kind of strange how happy Joe Silva and Dana seemed with the result. When Chuck's run came to an end it was like a fucking wake looking at their faces, same when Brock started losing. Those end of an era moments are usually bittersweet I find. You'd think after the reign Anderson has had and the amazing things he's done, they'd be kind of the same but no, they seemed chuffed like when Hendricks sparked Fitch. I didn't expect that.

Additionally, what the hell is the intention of that video anyway?

It's probably just something a fan or reporter noticed and ran with to try and create some juicy headlines. It's got some play on a few sites so it's worked. I suppose we'll get a 'Weidman is two faced' backlash now from the comment section cretins on the usual sites.

Edit - yeah, like I said, I can see the UFC playing this up in the build for the rematch. I'd love to see them do Primetime for it actually. Could be incredible with the story of this fight, Anderson's reign of terror ending and could go a way to making Weidman more of a star. Plus, anything that gets Matt Serra and Ray Longo on my TV more is a good thing in my book.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Plus, anything that gets Matt Serra and Ray Longo on my TV more is a good thing in my book.

Fuck yeah. The only real disappointment on Saturday night was that Matt Serra wasn't there live. I would have loved to have seen his reaction. I fucking love Matt Serra.

Regarding the video, I think it's brilliant that Weidman called Anderson a disrespectful piece of shit. It makes the knock out all the more poetic. As a spectator, there's no denying that Anderson's clowning is incredible to watch, but for his opponents it must be the most infuriating, humiliating experience ever. And it's amazing that it eventually caught up with him and backfired spectacularly. You couldn't have scripted it better. I can't wait for the rematch.

In terms of why Dana and Joe Silva seemed so over the moon; I imagine it's because they realise how huge the rematch is going to be. Whilst going undefeated definitely made Anderson a star, I think they realise that it'll be much easier to sell the rematch than it would have been to sell Anderson continuing to beat chump after chump. Look at how big that GSP vs. Matt Serra rematch was. It's the same deal here. Plus, whilst Silva has been destroying guys forever, it was only when going against Chael Sonnen that he really drew big numbers, because they both had a story to go with it. Being an amazing fighter is one thing, but it's the story of the fight that's often needed to hook the casual audience. And there's no greater story than Anderson looking to get his fucking belt back. I can't wait.

Plus, now that the super fights are no longer a viable option, can we all just admit that the chances of them happening were pretty much slim to none? It was something constantly talked about, but whenever the timing seemed perfect there'd always be some reason as to why they didn't happen. GSP never wanted it. That much was obvious. And of the two, Anderson seemed to only ever truly want the GSP fight, constantly speaking negatively of the Jones fight and openly admitting Jon would beat him. Ultimately, it seemed to be a case of bigger guys only wanting to fight those smaller than them, with Jones willing to fight Anderson, Anderson willing to fight GSP and GSP willing to fight no-one heavier than 170. That's probably the real reason for Dana being happy with this result. It means he no longer has to discuss and negotiate fights that were never going to happen anyway.

But yeah, anything that gets Matt Serra on my TV is fine by me. It still baffles me as to why he isn't regularly featured on UFC Tonight. He seems tailor made for that show.

Now, regarding a rematch; who would everyone pick? I'd still pick Silva.

• Paid Members
In terms of why Dana and Joe Silva seemed so over the moon; I imagine it's because they realise how huge the rematch is going to be. Whilst going undefeated definitely made Anderson a star, I think they realise that it'll be much easier to sell the rematch than it would have been to sell Anderson continuing to beat chump after chump. Look at how big that GSP vs. Matt Serra rematch was. It's the same deal here. Plus, whilst Silva has been destroying guys forever, it was only when going against Chael Sonnen that he really drew big numbers, because they both had a story to go with it. Being an amazing fighter is one thing, but it's the story of the fight that's often needed to hook the casual audience. And there's no greater story than Anderson looking to get his fucking belt back. I can't wait.

Makes sense actually, didn't really think of it from that angle for some reason. The Sonnen fights probably did so well because of a combination of Chael's mouth and his style causing Anderson problems. Quite a lot of people saw Chael as the biggest threat to Anderson's title at the time as I recall. This Weidman rematch could be even bigger with Anderson now chasing the title again.

Thinking about it you're probably spot on. The superfights must have been such a pain in the arse to try and negotiate, Weidman vs Silva 2, promoted right, could probably do close to what those superfights would have done on PPV. And it should be much easier to put together than the GSP or Jones fights.

But yeah, anything that gets Matt Serra on my TV is fine by me. It still baffles me as to why he isn't regularly featured on UFC Tonight. He seems tailor made for that show.

It's a crime isn't it? I've been banging on for ages that Serra would make a perfect colour commentator. That's just me pipedreaming but you'd think they'd at least find something for him to do. At the very least, more of them video blog things like he did with Chael and Forrest last year, would do. From what I read he's not up for anything that will keep him away from his family too much at this point. His wife's just had their third daughter and he's got a bunch of stuff going on with his schools. He seems to have a really comfortable and happy life going now which is great to see. But the selfish prick I am, I wish he'd take an on screen role of some sort. Especially if he can involve Longo somehow.

Now, regarding a rematch; who would everyone pick? I'd still pick Silva.

It's an interesting one but this time I'm picking Weidman. I think. Yeah. I picked Anderson this time, in large part because although Weidman had the style to bother him on paper, I had questions on his relative inexperience, how he'd handle the moment/Silva's antics etc. He passed those tests and then some.

I wouldn't be confident in the pick, it's Anderson Silva after all! But I saw enough to where a lot of my doubts on Weidman were erased and I don't see too much Anderson can do differently next time. As I said, his confidence could have taken a big hit with this. He'll be coming off the first KO loss of his career and at 38/39, if his confidence is rocked it could be the start of him finally declining.

You never know, if the Sonnen fights are anything to go by, Anderson improves in rematches. But this is different, he got KOed here. He's never had to deal with that before. Who knows how it will effect him?

I've just got a feeling this will play out like Penn vs Edgar, everyone will say 'well the real Anderson Silva will show up this time and destroy that flash in the pan Weidman'. Then Weidman will win again. He might just have Anderson's number.

• Paid Members

He was on about the Superbowl weekend PPV in New Jersey at the scrum. February seems a long way off though. December is better. And the December PPV is also the card Rousey vs Tate 2 is on. If they put those two fights on the same card, I think we're looking at big numbers.

The build up to Weidman vs Silva 2 could be incredible, especially if they do Primetime like I said. Then you've got the Ronda-Miesha rematch/grudge match with a whole season of TUF to hype it up. Stick a few other big names on the main card (Wandy wants to fight in December), it could be a huge success on PPV.

• Paid Members

They could do. If they'd held off they could have done a double header with Weidman vs Silva 2 and Cain vs JDS 3 in a soccer stadium in Brazil. Imagine how mental the atmosphere would be?

I think they'll do it in December if possible though.

Chris Weidman vs Anderson Silva 2 - MW Title

Ronda Rousey vs Miesha Tate 2 - Womens BW Title

That just looks sexy. Then stick someone like Wandy or Nick Diaz (he's asked Dana to get him a fight) as the third main fight and you're looking at a potentially huge drawing PPV. They'll want to hold something back for 20th anniversary November PPV though as well.

If I had my way, I'd go with;

GSP vs Hendricks and Wandy vs Hendo 3 for the Nov 20th anniversary PPV.

And Weidman vs Silva 2 and Ronda vs Miesha 2 for Dec. With Diaz vs Hardy third from top (if Hardy gets his heart situation addressed).

• Paid Members

Yeah, if Hardy can't go, I was going to say Diaz vs Condit 2. Diaz vs Kampmann is another potential great fight. There's so many possibilities.

Hendo vs Shogun 2, if it happens, I hope would be a 5 rounder. That would be ideal to headline the next Japan show actually given their Pride roots. It depends if a Shogun vs Little Nog TUF Brazil is still the plan though.

I've just got a feeling we're getting Wandy-Hendo. There's no-one else who makes more sense for either right now (except Wand vs Chael but Chael's tied up with Shogun). Wand vs Hendo just seems like it's going to happen to me. Neither are in title contention, plus it's a guaranteed war or KO and it's a rubber match. Neither have a fight announced and both have said they want to fight around December time. It just fits timing wise.

• Paid Members

Any idea how I could watch this now? I mean legitimately. Do UFC stream there ppvs on there site?

I've just got a feeling we're getting Wandy-Hendo. There's no-one else who makes more sense for either right now (except Wand vs Chael but Chael's tied up with Shogun). Wand vs Hendo just seems like it's going to happen to me. Neither are in title contention, plus it's a guaranteed war or KO and it's a rubber match. Neither have a fight announced and both have said they want to fight around December time. It just fits timing wise.

Agreed, but I do not like that fight. Despite me not being a fan of Hendo's last two efforts (Machida and Rashad should have beaten him by a wider margin) I see Hendo catching Wanderlai early, its a horrible match up for Wanderlai. I did say that about Stann mind, and we all know how that ended.

Well that didn't take long. Anderson now wants the rematch in February. I guess that'll be the Superbowl PPV in New Joisy.

That's going to be big. The first UFC PPV of the year, the Superbowl, Memorial Day, Independence Weekend and final UFC PPV of the year are my favourite of the regular ones. The Superbowl weekend and Independence Weekend shows are particularly big. Look at the big July PPV's:

Silva vs. Weidman at UFC 162 in July 2013

Silva vs. Sonnen II at UFC 148 in July 2012

Cruz vs. Faber at UFC 136 in July 2011

Lesnar vs. Carwin at UFC 116 in July 2010

Lesnar vs. Mir II at UFC 100 in July 2009

• Paid Members
Well that didn't take long. Anderson now wants the rematch in February. I guess that'll be the Superbowl PPV in New Joisy.

This is going to be huge. It actually feels like we're at a possible turning point with this rematch, a feeling that wasn't present with the second Sonnen fight as everyone knew Silva was injured the first time. If Weidman defends then we enter a new chapter in the UFC & there's no more questions surrounding his champion status. If however Anderson 'does a Vitor' & despatches him quickly, Weidman's victory will swiftly be chalked up to Silva pricking about too much & being too cocky, talk about 'Superfights' will resume, Silva will likely face another MW challenger & if and when Weidman gets another fight with Silva he will be 40+, nearing retirement & any significance surrounding the rubber match will be seriously diluted. Very interesting times.

• Paid Members

I agree with all that apart from the last bit about the significance of a third meeting being diluted. If Anderson wins the rematch in New Jersey, they'll be tied at 1-1. A rubber match in say, Rio, would be massive. Imagine if Chael had beat Anderson in the second fight, a third would have been a monster fight with them at 1-1.

I agree with your overall point though. This rematch will determine whether Anderson's era is over for good, whether it was just a blip, whether Weidman has his number or not. Lots of questions should be answered. And this time, to make it even better, Matt Serra should be there for the build up and fight. I can't wait.

Archived