UFC 162: 'Silva vs Weidman'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
I agree with all that apart from the last bit about the significance of a third meeting being diluted. If Anderson wins the rematch in New Jersey, they'll be tied at 1-1. A rubber match in say, Rio, would be massive. Imagine if Chael had beat Anderson in the second fight, a third would have been a monster fight with them at 1-1.

If they did it straight away then that'd be the case. I'm just thinking that if Silva wins against Weidman, and IMO he'll have to do it convincingly, then we're back on with talk of Jon Jones & GSP not to mention this Roy Jones boxing match. Plus, would Weidman get an instant rematch or would he drop back down & need another 1 or 2 wins? There could feasibly be 5 more Silva fights between the rematch in Feb and a potential rubber match. How old & in what shape would Anderson be then?

Anywhoo.....I pick Anderson by KO in the rematch. No free swings this time.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The romantic in me says Anderson, the pessimist in me says Weidman.

I want to believe that Anderson is as mystical as I thought he was, and can indeed counter Weidman and put him to sleep in a style that no other MMA fighter can. But, I have this horrible feeling that Weidman may have his number, Weidman's stellar top game worries me and I am not confident Weidman will allow for much striking next time round.

• Paid Members

Good point Mike.

One thing which could be interesting in the rematch is what happens if the fight goes into deep water. Weidman's never gone 5 rounds and he's got such an attacking style I'm not sure how he'd hold up over a long fight. He gassed against Maia but it was short notice. Renzo Gracie reckons Weidman was already starting to show signs of fading after round 1 against Anderson. I didn't pick up too much on that but I did notice he was sucking air on the stool between rounds, then he wasn't as successful with his takedowns in the second round. Then came the KO so we'll never know if he was starting to fade. I don't know. Might be something of nothing but it'd be interesting to see what happens if the rematch goes into rounds 3, 4 and 5.

One thing I think most will agree on, the rematch will be the most anticipated fight the UFC is offering in its schedule. GSP vs Hendricks will come close to some, but it does not offer the intrigue of Weidman vs Silva 2 for me.

Its fights and rivalries like Anderson and Weidman that make the UFC great. I have seen more spotlight on UFC about the interwebs the past week than I have done in a good few months.

I think Silva will take the rematch in devastating fashion. Weidman got lucky because Silva was acting the cunt, he won't make that mistake again.

I really hope not though, Silva's antics have grown very stale over the past few years seemingly only showing up to destroy people when he feels like it. A new champion will freshen up the division a little.

• Paid Members

Anderson Silva video blog, most of the post fight reaction.

What really sticks out to me is Usher giving him a pep talk and spouting shit to Silva like "you know, there's a lesson, and I think you know the lesson".

Jesus christ Usher, you're talking to the greatest of all time, not some chump. If it were someone like Tyson, Ali etc etc, you would think fair enough. BUT USHER??

Also, you can see why Silva wants the rematch now as you really see his emotion at the end of the video. It starts to hit home to Anderson exactly what he means to the Brazilian people.

• Paid Members

sorry for being late but i was away till Thursday so i only got to see this last night:

* I've never been so happy to see someone get their comeuppance in the Octagon as i was during that main event, i was litereally shaking after the finish. Showboating is all well and good, i love the flair and drama it adds but Anderson took it to a point where he was showing utter disdain and disprespect for what Weidman could do to him. It's well and good throwing feints and dancing about a little but the standing against the cage and calling Weidman in like he was afraid to engage was infuriating, the KO ended up being one of the sweetest moments ive ever witnessed in sport full stop, perfect.

Now i'm a big Anderson fan (you can't be an MMA fan and not be), but he took it to levels where i just wanted to see him learn his lesson...when he messed around the extreme levels in the past ive always hoped he'd get his clock cleaned and it finally happened.

As for the rematch, it's hard to say how it'll go. Weidman had a near perfect first round and showed what he can do to Anderson, after that you can't really predict anything because Anderson was clowning so much you can't blame Weidman for looking a little apprehensive, look whats happened to Anderson's previous opponents. I think i'll still back Weidman but the interesting thing is going to be how Anderson apporaches it all, i can't fucking wait.

There's been very little talk of the other fights on here because of the main event fallout but here's a a few quick ones:

* Mark Munoz looked tremendous. That first round was as good a middleweight MMA round you'll see all year, after that Munoz just took over, his ground and pound is truly scary, Tim Boetsch is a tough muthafucker.

* Kennedy/Gracie was the pits. Another Gracie tanks in the octagon. I'm not a big Tim Kennedy fan but you can't blame him for the type of fight that played out, it was a bit of a bad styles clash, i think you'll always see that kind of fight if Gracie doesn't do his thing, you don't wanna give the guy his oppurtunities. One and done?

* Edgar/Oliveira was tremendous. I think Do Bronx put any feelings that he was a bit of a pussy to bed, he bit down and went for it, all props to him. People probably think Edgar should be walking through a fight with Oliveira but i feel that Edgar's the kind of guy that just makes fights hard for himself, he has that kind of style, he just has an ability to dig that little bit deeper...can't really complain, never a dull fight.

* Siver/Swanson was great as well, when Swanson's building one of the best highlight reels in MMA, amazing finish. Not quite sure what Herb was waiting for.

* Prelims were all sound too:

- Brian Melancon looked undersized but hits like a fucking tank, Seth looked dead at the end of the round.

- Chris Leben continues to look terrible, you have to admire his toughness but the guy is barely mobile, he just wanders around getting battered.

- Parke/Tokudume was an early runner for FOTN until the main card hit, quality fight, took Tokudume a couple of rounds to wake up.

- Barboza was in destroy mode.

- Gotta think that's the end of Dave Herman, he's had one of the strangest UFC careers in recent memory.

Taken from UFC.com

One week after Chris Weidman shocked the world with his second-round knockout of Anderson Silva at UFC 162, what may be the biggest rematch in MMA history has been announced. Saturday on ESPN SportsCenter, UFC President Dana White made it official: on December 28, Weidman and Silva will meet again for the UFC middleweight title in the main event of UFC 168 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada .

In the co-main event, UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey defends her crown in another highly anticipated rematch against rival Ultimate Fighter 18 coach Miesha Tate

Now, regarding a rematch; who would everyone pick? I'd still pick Silva.

I've finally just gotten around to seeing this event. I don't think Weidman won that fight, more Anderson threw it away. He was winning up until he started getting too cocky.

As for the rematch, the question for me isn't who'll win, it's how much is Anderson going to fuck Weidman up to be honest. If he comes into this fight 100% on his game, no bullshit, and ready to actually fight I can't see Weidman lasting beyond two frames before getting stopped. Yeah, he looked decent when he had Anderson on his back, but Silva was slipping a lot of his punches with relative ease, and on the feet Anderson was clearly winning when he actually fought.

The best thing that could have happened in the division, it's just a shame that Weidman will end up getting hurt most likely now.

David, if you really believe that Anderson was winning the fight before he got too cocky then I despair. Even though you're completely wrong, all the stats also suggest you're wrong as well.

I think he means when Anderson chose to engage he got the better of Weidman, instead of clowning around.

I do not speak for him, but he seems to think Anderson lost the fight more than Weidman won it, and Anderson had full control of the result dependent how he chose to fight.

• Paid Members

yeh im pretty sure Weidman won round 1.

you can't actually say how it was gonna go, if Anderson had continued clowning and acting like a bellend it could very well have ended up looking like the Maia or Leites fights, why Anderson choses to fight like that is very weird. I mean he was calling Weidman to fight, punching his chest and acting like Weidman wasn't engaging but from where i was sitting Weidman stood in the center of the octagon willing to throw down the whole time, it was Anderson who was avoiding a fight. If Anderson's gameplan was to simply hope Weidman would get annoyed and lunge in (which what it had to be) and get caught (ala Bonnar), it fucking backfired gloriously.

• Paid Members

That's how I saw it Ebb. I don't know why else anyone would think he'd do that. He was clearly trying to provoke or anger Weidman into hastily overcommitting so he could counter. It's worked for him brilliantly in the past. I still think it was partly because he was worried about being taken down again and was trying to anger Weidman into more of a standup fight.

For people to act like the only reason Anderson lost is because he clowned about is a bit much I think. It certainly didn't help but why do people honestly think he was doing that? Just like with Maia, I think he becomes hesitant to really open up on dangerous grapplers. If he wasn't worried about being taken down I think he'd have stopped Maia, and at least put out more offence against Weidman.

If Anderson comes out deadly serious next time, that doesn't mean he'll suddenly be shrugging off the shots with ease, and he's never been a hands up-chin down, high defence type fighter anyway.

We'll see, I can't wait.

If Anderson comes out deadly serious next time, that doesn't mean he'll suddenly be shrugging off the shots with ease, and he's never been a hands up-chin down, high defence type fighter anyway.

When Anderson fights aggressively though, few survive. Anderson is a great counter striker and can be calculated with his his striking, but he can fight aggressively with the best of them. There is technique to his work, he is not a reckless brawler akin to say Leonard Garcia or Chris Leben.

If you watch the second Sonnen fight, Anderson is hardly in counter/baiting mode, he rushes Sonnen gets into a brawl which he came out the better of. Same with the Franklin fights, Anderson for some reason does not use his knees and clinch like he used to, in the first round of the Weidman fight he had a great chance to throw a knee but chose not to.

Again, Weidman showed a lot more skill than some are giving him credit for, but I am not ready to accept Weidman as a better fight just yet. The rematch could end up being a Anderson masterclass.

Archived