UFC 162: 'Silva vs Weidman'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fucking around went to new levels tonight.

I agree

I know you are not either, but I do not want to take anything away from Weidman. I think this is one to digest, the full ramifications of the result and what it means for future fights will not be clear right away.

I am just guessing on gut feelings really.

I hope Weidman's been working on his striking in his time out of the Octagon. Just been watching some of his past fights, and while he's a killer on the ground/in grappling situations, he has nowhere near that comfort level striking.

Well, maybe I was wrong. Don't I look silly?

Actually, no, the person who looked the silliest coming off UFC 162 was Anderson Silva. I read an article the other day questioning how a loss would affect his legacy. The prevailing opinion was that, no matter the outcome, he'd still be viewed as the greatest of all time, but now I'm not so sure. When people look back on Anderson's career, a big talking point will be that he lost his title because he clowned around and didn't take his opponent seriously.

And what was up with that post fight speech? He just repeated the same points about his family. He mentioned not going for titles anymore, which leads me to think he wants to engage in special attractions like super fights. However, the main selling point for those fights was the prospect of undefeated juggernauts facing off. Anderson no longer has that going for him.

Re-match is gonna be BIG money. Wonder how this effects the super fights? Probably put off for another year I'd say.

Can tell you had problems with your stream, what with Anderson saying he's not interested in a rematch or fighting for the belt anymore

Yerp :-(

I read an article the other day questioning how a loss would affect his legacy. The prevailing opinion was that, no matter the outcome, he'd still be viewed as the greatest of all time, but now I'm not so sure. When people look back on Anderson's career, a big talking point will be that he lost his title because he clowned around and didn't take his opponent seriously.

The way he fought Weidman was the same way he fought Bonnar, Belfort, Okami and Sonnen, and he won those fights and was thought of as a genius. This time, his opponent was affected by it. He did nothing different than previous fights where everyone looked at him as a God of MMA, so just becuase he lost can't be blamed on the way he acted in the cage. Weidman did what other people didn't do before him. He carried on as is and ignored Silva's actions

Yeah, but fans are fickle. You're only as good as your last fight and all that. It's a double standard, but I'm reading it everywhere. Rogan was even going on about it, despite having called almost every Anderson fight, about keeping your guard up and taking your opponent seriously.

I never thought it was "genius" tbh. I was fascinated by his ability to be so reckless and get away with it, but I never thought it was a good idea.

EDIT: Also, in those fights you mentioned, Anderson went from the matrix stuff and clowning around to quickly dropping his opponent right after. He continued the routine considerably longer than usual, almost to the level he did Demian Maia.

Absolutely. Rogan was saying it was a lesson for all young fighters to learn from. But this is Anderson's style. He's won fights this way, so to say he lost because of this is a little wrong, because this is his way of fighting. Saying he gave the fight to Weidman is wrong because he did nothing different to what he usually does I dont think he underestimated Weidman or anything. Weidman saw through Anderson's style and made him pay for it. Anderson lost that fight because he pretended to be hurt, and while he was dancing around, instead of standing and watching him, Weidman punched him in the face again.

It's a double standard as you say. If Anderson wasn't being Anderson, it wouldn't have happened, but if Anderson wasn't Anderson, he wouldn't be the Greatest Of All Time

Funny you should mention Weidman seeing through Anderson's style, a key quote from the Countdown show for me was, "I'm not fighting the greatest of all time, I'm not fighting a myth, I'm fighting a man." It's the perfect mentality, and while I think other fighters have said words to that effect, Weidman is the only one who was able to put those words into action in the cage.

I said earlier in the this thread that Weidman could be the 185 Jon Jones. I think, with his style and skill set, he can beat Belfort, Rockhold, Bisping or anyone who challenges him at 185. If Anderson isn't down for a rematch, I think Weidman will stay champion for a while yet

Well it finally caught up with him and I couldn't be happier. :)

For me, that is why Silva will never, ever be the greatest fighter of all time. Bobbing and weaving against middle of the road strikers like Griffin, Maia and Lietes might look funny and cocky but eventually the lack of respect will catch up to you like this morning and almost against Sonnen.

It's why Fedor is still the greatest of all time, GSP has beaten better competition and I'd rank higher and Jones will probably end up being the best of the best.

Nice to see Frankie Edgar back in the win column. Typical performance and was just thinking I could see him facing the winner of Aldo/Zombie.

• Paid Members

Thank god I got Fibre Optic broadband on Friday as I woke up at 6.30, downloaded it, had it in 5 mins, and I've just jumped out of bed screaming.

That was simply amazing. I honestly screamed at my screen whilst Weidman was unleashing bombs "KNOCK HIM THE FUCK OUT CHRIS!!!!"

I'm in shock, I really am. It was Silva's show boating that really got to me and I was just so desperate to see Weidman "punch a hole in his fucking chest!".

Personally I believe Silva's show boating was out of desperation. Weidman was utterly dominant in that first round and I think Silva lost it in his head then. Yes, he got up, but I think he realised Weidman was simply a beast and had his number. Even after the first round whilst in his corner he trying to bait Weidman.

Overall a fantastic event with some great prelim fights too. Edgar was fantastic tonight and Swanson's finish was wonderful. Munoz looked a beast again and hopefully this will get rid of Boetsch as I've already noted I can't stand.

• Paid Members

Well, if Silva was ever going to lose, that was always going to be how. It's the type of behaviour that looks amazing in highlight reels, but sooner or later it's going to catch up to you. If anything, it's amazing it took this long for Silva's clowning to eventually cost him. It's almost a shame though that such a legendary title reign ended not because one guy was better than the other, but because one guy was dicking around and got caught. Silva's also a moron if he thinks the super fights will be anywhere as big now. His best bet if he wants those super fights is to try and get the belt back first.

• Paid Members

Only just got around to watching this. Fuck me. Am I the only one who is actually quite gutted by this? There was a point in time where I wanted to see someone dethrone Anderson, just to see what it would look like. But it got to the point in recent years where I wanted him to go out on top. Ideally I was hoping that before he retired he'd beat GSP, beat Jones (although I always picked Jones to win that one) and retire with an unbeaten UFC record as the greatest of all-time.

I've always been a fan of Anderson Silva but he was never one of my favourites like a Wanderlei, Shogun or Big Nog. When I watch them three fight I'm nervous and on edge rooting for them. With Anderson it was more a case of watching in amazement and wondering what wacky shit he'd pull off next. It felt weird seeing the finish to that fight, with Anderson on his back. Proper 'end of an era' moment. Even if he wins a rematch, it's the end of that monster reign and at 38, I can't see him recreating it.

If Anderson really isn't interested in a rematch then it has to be Belfort getting the next title shot and I'd pick him to beat Weidman.

I've probably believed in Belfort as much/if not more than anyone on here, I've picked him when almost everyone was expecting Bisping to outclass him, I picked him against Rockhold, I even (wrongly) picked him to catch Jon Jones, but I wouldn't fancy him against Weidman. And not because of what Weidman did last night. Weidman's style is the type Belfort always struggles with. The Bispings, Rockholds and Franklins, guys who will pretty much just stand with Belfort, I always struggled imagining them weathering the storm. But a guy like Weidman, who has the grappling to wear on Vitor during the dangerous early rounds, I would pick him to win. With his power and speed, there's always a chance Vitor catches him, but I could see it looking like Couture-Belfort 3 myself.

It didn't take long for the call outs to start, Bisping and Belfort are already at it on Twitter.

Bunch of happy Middleweights.

Not as happy as GSP. He was waiting for something like this to happen. That's why he was so vocal about Weidman winning going in. He's chuffed as fuck the Anderson vs GSP talk is effectively dead now. I bet there's already a thankyou card and a hamper on Weidman's doorstep, postmarked Montreal.

How does everyone have the pound for pound situation looking now? I've got both GSP and Jones above him now. I'd put GSP at #1 now for his success, longevity and level of opposition. But Jones has been winning more spectacularly, he's catching up all the time.

I'm with pryko as well. The way Anderson fought is the way he often fights. I didn't think he was throwing it away at all, it's worked for him so many times before. I took the showboating as him actually not knowing what else to do. Weidman had such a great start with the grappling that I think it made Anderson reluctant to commit to anything on the feet for fear of getting taken down again. And he did a great job of keeping Anderson guessing whether he was going to grapple or strike.

I wasn't 100% sold on Weidman going in. Of course we knew he was good and an interesting style match up for Silva, but he fought a perfect fight really last night. I think it's more about what he did than what Anderson did or didn't do.

Rest of the card was pretty good I thought. I really enjoyed Edgar vs Oliveira and Swanson vs Siver. They were the two best fights on the card for me. I think Swanson deserves to fight the Aldo vs Zombie winner now for sure after that. The run he's on has been incredible. But I think Pettis might still wind up fighting Aldo/Zombie so I'd like to see Edgar vs Swanson in the meantime.

Parke vs Tokudome was a pleasant surprise I thought. Really liked that fight. Gonzaga's quick KO was pretty sweet. I reckon Dave Herman might be a goner now, he was on a losing streak coming in, plus the suspension for weed, now he gets chinned in seconds. He's gone I think. Great to see Gonzaga's little resurgence. Wouldn't mind seeing Gonzaga vs Bigfoot next.

Leben will probably be having retirement talks with Dana now. It just seems like he's completely shot as a fighter to me. You just get that feeling watching some fighters that it's probably over for them. Scott Smith was like that for me his last few fights in Strikeforce as well. It's mad to think, two years ago almost to the day, Leben had his career high moment knocking out Wandy. Two years later he's coming off 3 losses and looking pretty much done as a fighter. Shame because I always liked Leben. Andrew Craig is a pretty good fighter though, no-one really talks about him but he's decent.

Oh. Fuck Tim Kennedy.

Good show.

Archived