Gimmicks that were great

Snitsky's back acne

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've said this before on here but Gangrel! Badass entrance, badass look and badass gimmick and entertaining in the ring. If he emerged these days with all the Twilight faggotry in popular culture he'd be solid gold I think. Countless promos about "what a real vampire is!" and so on. The unspeakably amazing entrance and the bloodbaths would only add to such a character. Good lord, I want Gangrel back. Sadly I don't think he even won a title, losing the European match with X Pac at the 1999 Rumble and then Edge and Christian going on to great success rather than (apparently) them being meant to platform him.

I'll see your Gangrel and raise you one Kevin Thorn who also had a great entrance theme but also looked the part (never was a fan of Gangrel's look to be honest) and had Ariel and her trashy entrance to complete the package.

He also came across a total killer when he squashed Nunzio and looked set for a decent mid card spot but sadly it wasn't to be and it was all downhill for him the moment they canned Ariel or maybe the downfall began after their rotten match with whoever it was at that abysmal ECW PPV.

Poor sod didn't have much luck with gimmicks did he?

I hated Gangrel, and Kevin Thorn. Occult gimmicks have never really done it for me. I even prefer the American Badass as a gimmick to Undertaker.

Don't get me wrong I don't think Thorn was anywhere near good enough for the top of the card but he was a decent addition lower down imo, Gangrel on the other hand just looked like a tubby old man badly playing a goth character he was also an abysmal promo from what I can remember.

• Moderators

I always thought Thorn was duff. Se7en was dump, Mordecai was amazingly shite, and Thorn was shoddy too. It's amazing that he was in the WWF/E system for about 7 years, on and off, and never even looked like improving beyond "Dead Shit" once.

Other then the mixed tag at the ECW PPV I found him watchable (never watched any of his Mordecai stuff, was Se7en a TNA thing?) , perhaps it was a case of keeping his matches short against good workers that did the trick, he was also in a lot of tag matches I think.

Or perhaps my memory has finally gone pop :crazy:

• Paid Members

As Mordecai he looked like a sunburnt albino baby, which didn't help his cause. Also he had Jeff Jarrett's 98 ring gear and couldn't put on a convincing squash match. Also his promos weren't good even in pre-tapes. I actually love that kind of stupid gimmick and was desperate to like it but it really was the shits.

Gangrel on the other hand just looked like a tubby old man badly playing a goth character

Yeah, he was pretty great wasn't he?

Gangrel's one of those cases where the wrestler's fondly remembered precisely because he didn't get pushed anymore.

This might be a bit controversial considering how long he's gone on and how generally great he's been over the course of his career, but I genuinely don't believe Kurt Angle has ever been as entertaining as he was in his first 18 months.

The nerdy, flag-waving jock character was an inspired heel creation to tap into the hatred of the disaffected slacker generation, and, considering how legitimately hard Angle is and what an intense, comparatively humourless bloke he seems, he played it to absolute perfection. The Austin/Vince sketches and mini-feuds with the likes of Spike Dudley and Shane McMahon showed that there was an adaptability to the character to allow him to be able to walk the walk as a hardcase when he needed to without losing the geeky side of it, but IMO it jumped the shark once he turned face.

It was understandable because of the need for new faces with Austin turning and the Invasion happening, but it didn't quite work. Then of course he took a much less entertaining turn when 9/11 happened and he briefly became a non-ironic flag waving babyface, but even though they realised the error of their ways pretty sharpish with that one, for me they never quite got the balance right with that character again, and he never really seemed to settle into a groove as a character again until he got to TNA.

Just seen a post on Tumblr which could vageugly fit in this thread as I think its a pretty good point. From droptoehold.com

The Kane Feud That Ended Too Short

tumblr_mk0da63UH01qzx70zo3_500.jpg

Seriously, this could have been an awesome feud. Nevermind the fact that at the time, Kane was going through the motions and beyond stale, and nevermind the fact that Imposter Kane (secretly Festus aka DOC from TNA) looked nothing like Kane what with the smaller build and lack of height. This was the story of a heel coming in and playing mind games with the big red machine. This was a guy stealing Kane

Archived