Gimmicks that were great

Snitsky's back acne

Just scanning some old youtube stuff and saw some early footage of Doink the Clown, when played by Matt Borne.

How brilliant was that gimmick? Evil music, psycho laughter, crazy eyes, cigar smoking, making children cry....what's not to love?

Sadly, they went and spoiled it by turning the character babyface....and then it just sucked.

So, what other gimmicks do people consider great....until they fucked it all up.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Doink had already ran out of steam anyway by late 1993. That's why he went face. He was pretty much a jobber to the stars after he beat Crush for the 1000th time. Bret, Savage, Perfect and Marty battered him through out the year. There really wasn't much you could do with a evil clown in that era. The natural progression of a evil clown is to take him down the paedo route and that wasn't going to happen any time during the New Generation era. Angles where Todd Pettengill is interviewing him and he'd have his knob out the whole time would have been the only kind of stuff you could do with him to keep it interesting once the fake arm thing had been done to death. Matt Bourne was the one who actually turned face initially, so it wasn't like Bourne's fucked up teeth left and they decided to sweeten the gimmick up.

On topic, though, it would have been interesting to see how Samoa Joe's career would have gone had Vince Russo not taken over and killed him off within a month. They seemed to be getting it right with him.

for me:

The Narcissist: I actually liked the gimmick as Luger just wasn't the wrestler you wanted to cheer for. Thought it had legs for a proper heel run against Bret, before they changed directions in a matter of months and turned him into a poor man's Hogan

Crush: Really only had '93' as Kona and should have had an IC reign as Taker and Diesel aside he was far and away the biggest and most badass looking guy on the roster

Powers of Pain: Looked badass, were badass and deserved at least a title run

Barbarian: This guy could chuck Bossman (at 350lb +) like he was Jannetty. Had the look, build, and moveset to look and be a genuine threat to Hogan and yet ended up jobbing to everyone. Waste! (love this guy in SS 5 tag team vs 5 tag team)

Nexus is a big one for me, though honestly I think 'fucked it up' is a bit strong as the only thing they could possibly of done to keep it going was put the strap on Wade Barrett. If Im being honest though, I think he had the heat to carry a title with his little club helping to keep the belt. Looking back, it all worked quite well with Punk taking over and beginning his rise to the top.

• Moderators
Goldust is a good pick. Really think they could have done more with the initial character if it made it to the Attitude era.

It did, and it was horrible! The Baby New Year stuff. The whole Artist Formerly Known as Goldust stuff with Luna. Then the Goldust/Bluedust stuff. Horrible.

The Narcissist: I actually liked the gimmick as Luger just wasn't the wrestler you wanted to cheer for. Thought it had legs for a proper heel run against Bret, before they changed directions in a matter of months and turned him into a poor man's Hogan

I disagree. The Narcissist character never ever had any steam behind it. He looked silly and it just didn't take off.

Where-as, I liked USA Luger. Contrary to some belief, he WAS over, yes a victim of being second fiddle to Bret, but still over. Fuck, I really liked Luger. He cut a really good face promo and could, on his day, work a heated match. He really should have just packed his bags straight after 'Mania 10 though. The Lex Express was on fire all the way to MSG then just blew up and done nothing. His feud with Tatanka was good but that's about it.

11_display_image.jpg

He was brilliant. He should have Main Evented. But he wasn't too arsed about wrestling. In the short run he had as this character he had some dire feuds with Rikishi and involved with Mr America. Such a shame. Should have put him against Lesnar at Backlash instead of a very green Cena.

Wasn't his downfall more to do with him getting nervous in front of a live crowd and cutting a terrible promo than anyone fucking his gimmick/push up though?

11_display_image.jpg

He was brilliant. He should have Main Evented. But he wasn't too arsed about wrestling. In the short run he had as this character he had some dire feuds with Rikishi and involved with Mr America. Such a shame. Should have put him against Lesnar at Backlash instead of a very green Cena.

Wasn't his downfall more to do with him getting nervous in front of a live crowd and cutting a terrible promo than anyone fucking his gimmick/push up though?

Plus didnt his gimmick never actually get over enough for anyone to possibly fuck it up either?

I agree on Goldust, ive hated that character since early 1998, I actually mildly enjoyed the AFKAG stuff but nothing since has interested me. Nexus is the obvious one but where could it realistically have gone? Yeah the downfall came after they didnt go over at Summerslam in the 14 man tag but can you really put 7 green guys over 7 (or 5) of your biggest superstars? Its probably why The Shield will have gone the same way by Summerslam this year.

Goldust is a good pick. Really think they could have done more with the initial character if it made it to the Attitude era.

It did, and it was horrible! The Baby New Year stuff. The whole Artist Formerly Known as Goldust stuff with Luna. Then the Goldust/Bluedust stuff. Horrible.

Goldust was portrayed and acknowledged as gay when he first showed up. That was pretty much dropped when Terri showed up weren't it?

Archived