Gimmicks that were great

Snitsky's back acne

I've said this before on here but Gangrel! Badass entrance, badass look and badass gimmick and entertaining in the ring. If he emerged these days with all the Twilight faggotry in popular culture he'd be solid gold I think. Countless promos about "what a real vampire is!" and so on. The unspeakably amazing entrance and the bloodbaths would only add to such a character. Good lord, I want Gangrel back. Sadly I don't think he even won a title, losing the European match with X Pac at the 1999 Rumble and then Edge and Christian going on to great success rather than (apparently) them being meant to platform him.

Can you imagine if they did a bloodbath in his entrance these days? They would have chaps with gloves cleaning it all up for 20 minutes before they could start the match - would be a bit of a gimmick killer really.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've said this before on here but Gangrel! Badass entrance, badass look and badass gimmick and entertaining in the ring. If he emerged these days with all the Twilight faggotry in popular culture he'd be solid gold I think. Countless promos about "what a real vampire is!" and so on. The unspeakably amazing entrance and the bloodbaths would only add to such a character. Good lord, I want Gangrel back. Sadly I don't think he even won a title, losing the European match with X Pac at the 1999 Rumble and then Edge and Christian going on to great success rather than (apparently) them being meant to platform him.

I remember Edge and Christian, well into their 'Flash Photography, Kazoo etc.' gimmick doing a backstage segment with Gangrel, this would've been about summer of 2000 so near enough a year since they were last on TV together, Gangrel looked so happy to be with them on screen, I'm pretty sure he was supposed to be bewildered at all the stuff they were doing but ended up trying not to laugh his head off, poor bloke was probably just happy to not be losing to Funaki on Metal or whatever he was doing at that point

• Paid Members
Goldust is a good pick. Really think they could have done more with the initial character if it made it to the Attitude era.

It did, and it was horrible! The Baby New Year stuff. The whole Artist Formerly Known as Goldust stuff with Luna. Then the Goldust/Bluedust stuff. Horrible.

Goldust was portrayed and acknowledged as gay when he first showed up. That was pretty much dropped when Terri showed up weren't it?

Was he even portrayed as being "gay" when he debuted at that "In Your House" event with Jannetty? I don't recall any camp mannerisms at all. WWF didn't have a clue what they were going to do with him. They just threw stuff at the wall and hope it stuck. Gimmick looked a total career killer at that event IMO. Awful stuff. Especially his freaking ears.

After that event, they must have all got their thinking caps on.

Goldberg. Once the WWE got their hands on him, it was pretty much all over for him. No need to bring him back now, he's done as a superstar.

Rubbish - if he still wanted to wrestle and anyone was willing to pay him, he'd still be an asset. Both WWE and TNA try to get him periodically.

My pick is Muhammed Hussan. His gimmick was really postmodern, and got under the skin of every American. He was the perfect heel for the WWE audience - foreign-looking, clever, arrogant, and as an American he made them uncomfortable about their own so-called freedom.

He was absolutely fucking huge as a heel, and was pretty handy in the ring too for someone so young. But the WWE pushed it too far and then got cold feet and canned him.

• Paid Members

Agreed with Loki there. I never seen heat like when he walked out during the Rumble 2005. There was genuine spitting hatred from the fans towards him, but WWE bottled it. It did get a bit silly, generic and obvious with his cronies who were bally'd up, towards the end of his run though.

My picks are Waylon Mercy, Planet Stasiak (I absolutely loved that character) and Evil Doink.

• Paid Members
Joker Sting was fucking dreadful. He came off more like the Riddler than the Joker.

Really? I thought it was a well needed change, do you prefer the one he has been for the past 10 years?

Of course. His matches and promos in TNA have been the best of his career. His performances as the GM (especially in segments with the Jarrett's) were excellent. Nothing wrong with Sting. Joker Sting on the other hand was a badly acted, badly scripted brain storm by someone who thought Sting ripping off another popular movie character would meet with the same success as the first one.

Goldberg. Once the WWE got their hands on him, it was pretty much all over for him. No need to bring him back now, he's done as a superstar.

Rubbish - if he still wanted to wrestle and anyone was willing to pay him, he'd still be an asset. Both WWE and TNA try to get him periodically.

Disagree, the goldberg gimmick in WCW was awesome and the reason he got over as a smash mouth short bout intense bad ass mf'er. Then WWE got him and made him sell in his matches longer than previous. If WWE had given him the same treatment as WCW had then he would have been over a hell of a lot more than he was. Ryback cant hold a torch to Goldberg yet he gets the unstoppable machine gimmick because he's a WWE guy and not a WCW one.

Whilst its not a gimmick persay the whole WCW/ECW invasion angle has to be included in here surely

Papa Fucking Shango!

Look at the crowd at Wembley when he came out, they were fucking bricking it. That gimmick had legs, granted it was never Title holding standards, but it could have been pushed more and used more effectively, in the same way Bossman was uber heel for years on end.

I remember hearing that Shango was supposed to come back with a more extreme look years later and there's even a set of pics of his new costume/make-up somewhere. I think the character was good, just a bit too cartoony at the time. Had it been based on more on the sinister Baron Samedi character from 'Live and Let Die' that it was an obvious nod to.

Archived