Gimmicks that were great

Snitsky's back acne

• Paid Members
I'll take any mention of Gangrel as an excuse to post

This is amazing, i thought his wwf theme was class but this takes it to the next level.

That's no joke. It's epic.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently rewatching all PPVs from Summerslam 2000 to Insurexxtion 2002 (Great deals on Silvervision) and I forgot how great RTC were. They were so over as heels, and I think they could have continued. Such simple heat, but it worked. I remember hating them for what they did to Chyna - and for beating King so we couldn't see The Kat naked - this was in the days before I had access to the Internet and was a 10 year old curious about the female form XD

• Paid Members
Likes his cheese and onion Walkers, Gangrel. Hand fulls of them he can eat.

I'm always fascinated by this story whenever you bring it up. Probably because whenever I picture the scene he's in full Gangrel get-up. The thought of a big bloke with fangs, a white blouse, Martin Clunes' hair off Men Behaving Badly, a chalice of blood in one hand and a bag of Walkers cheese and onion in the other, on the forecourts of a Texaco garage - it's some mental image.

Kevin Thorn was cack. What kind of vampire is called Kevin anyway? Only thing I liked about the gimmick was Ariel.

EDIT - Was he at a garage or have I completely made that up?

I tend to agree with wwe.com on this

http://www.wwe.com/classics/classic-lists/...en-bigger-deals

Man I was such a mark for Jindrak & O'Haire. Expected O'Haire to be a huge star. I'm always wrong about these things. Jindrak's pretty big in Mexico now as Marco Corleone, and O'Haire's disappeared into what.. 'indy MMA?' For lack of better words.

Also pegged John Morrison as a mega-star, never would have expected Miz to ever win the WWE title, period.

I'd bet anything I would have predicted Marty Jannetty to rule the world if I'd been watching then.

• Paid Members

Isn't Sean O' Haire a hairdresser now or something like that?

For the record, I think Gangrel only ever cut one promo. It was on the first ever episode of Smackdown and it was fucking awful beyond words.

Jindrak's pretty big in Mexico now as Marco Corleone

He has it pretty cushty. Main event trio (with the epic name of Love Buffet) and he probably gets more action than he can handle. The women over there seem to adore him for reasons that are pretty far beyond me.

Papa Fucking Shango!

Look at the crowd at Wembley when he came out, they were fucking bricking it. That gimmick had legs, granted it was never Title holding standards, but it could have been pushed more and used more effectively, in the same way Bossman was uber heel for years on end.

I remember hearing that Shango was supposed to come back with a more extreme look years later and there's even a set of pics of his new costume/make-up somewhere. I think the character was good, just a bit too cartoony at the time. Had it been based on more on the sinister Baron Samedi character from 'Live and Let Die' that it was an obvious nod to.

Teedy: in execution, anybody could be champion. That's the great thing about wrestling being, you know, scripted. Shango being champion is as likley as a dead Undertaker being champion... or an olympic Gold medalist.

Rev, in his shoot, Shango says there was talk about him coming back in the late 80's, but he feels Kane put a stop to that as the characters would have been too similar. Sure as heck haven't seen anything online RE costumes / drafts etc, or even heard of that before.

Papa Fucking Shango!

Look at the crowd at Wembley when he came out, they were fucking bricking it. That gimmick had legs, granted it was never Title holding standards, but it could have been pushed more and used more effectively, in the same way Bossman was uber heel for years on end.

I remember hearing that Shango was supposed to come back with a more extreme look years later and there's even a set of pics of his new costume/make-up somewhere. I think the character was good, just a bit too cartoony at the time. Had it been based on more on the sinister Baron Samedi character from 'Live and Let Die' that it was an obvious nod to.

Teedy: in execution, anybody could be champion. That's the great thing about wrestling being, you know, scripted. Shango being champion is as likley as a dead Undertaker being champion... or an olympic Gold medalist.

Rev, in his shoot, Shango says there was talk about him coming back in the late 80's, but he feels Kane put a stop to that as the characters would have been too similar. Sure as heck haven't seen anything online RE costumes / drafts etc, or even heard of that before.

The rumour was that Kane was only meant to be around for a few months until the Undertaker banished him, then Shango was going to return and be the next in line for a Taker fued. Or something along those lines.

Papa Fucking Shango!

The rumour was that Kane was only meant to be around for a few months until the Undertaker banished him, then Shango was going to return and be the next in line for a Taker fued. Or something along those lines.

Something makes me think that it may be Jerry Lawler who apparently has the pictures. I could be getting that wrong, but allegedly there are some of a more 'hardcore, extreme' Shango!

You guys may be getting confused with his USWA stuff with Jerry which was after the characters WWF run and before he came back as Kama. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6bsd0_je...go-for-the_news

But from the man himself, there were only ever rumblings of a return in the late 90's, certainly never heard of artwork or anything like that leaking. Something liek that would have been plastered across the net...

• Paid Members

I could swear someone on here was saying that Charles Wright himself was on about those pictures of the proposed new Papa Shango from the late 90s. I can't remember if he's meant to have said it on a shoot, might have been Twitter actually, but he'd said something about it. Thats probably what The Rev's on about. The photos obviously haven't been made public though or we'd have seen them somewhere.

Wasn't he actually up for the Kane role originally as well?

I love that Gangrel/Walkers crisps story. So much that I now want him to replace Lineker on the ads.

• Paid Members
They didn't "fuck up" Waylon Mercy, though. Spivey was just broken down by that point.

I'd like to see them try something similar again, now that enough time has elapsed. They should base more gimmicks on film and TV characters.

You should be watching NXT then.

He's not exactly the same, but he's in the same area. Fucking good, too.

• Paid Members

I wonder what the plans were for Waylon Mercy had Spivey stuck around. A feud with Undertaker would seem a natural progression. It would have surely been more interesting than Undertaker's feuds with Mabel and Kama around that time. Undertaker wasn't doing much in late '95 really until the beginnings of the Diesel stuff was he? Was he injured around that time?

A loose, creepy oddball alliance with Waylon Mercy and Goldust might have been interesting in late '95/early '96 as well. Not a full-on team but some kind of loose association or interaction could have been good. Sort of joining forces now and then to play mind games and fuck with people.

Waylon Mercy was perfect for Spivey. He just had the look of a wrong 'un.

Archived