DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

King of Staten Island. There’s a few plots in this film that would have made a more enjoyable comedy if it had been the focus of it. The Bill Burr/Marisa Tomei Autumn of life romcom. The Maude Apatow Booksmart style college comedy. The Bel Powley puts Staten Island on the map Legally Blonde-ish type comedy. Instead we get Pete Davidson meandering around being a man child prick for most of the film. He’s not really the main problem as with a much better screenplay and decent editor he’d have at least pulled off a Seth Rogen level stoner charm. Then again he co-wrote the screenplay so maybe he is the problem.

Becky. Decent and gory as all hell. Pretty satisfying film, I’m looking forward to Becky 2: Lost in New York.

• Paid Members

A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (YouTube)

The more I watch it, the more the similarities to Yojimbo are blindingly obvious, but that can only be a good thing. Gian Maria Volonte is one of the greatest ever western villains.

BRASSED OFF (Amazon Prime rental)

Surprised this was much more of a drama than a comedy but it works much better that way. Great cast too, with Stevie Tompkinson probably doing his best ever work. Fucking Tory Cunts: The Movie.

• Paid Members

The Lovebirds on Netflix. A fun little romp which bordered on ridiculousness at times, but I enjoyed the relationship between Kumail Nanjiani and Issa Rae. It had a few chortle moments, but it also isn't as good as the Big Sick.

• Paid Members

Eurotrip (Netflix)

I laughed so much at this and I did not expect to once. Remember, if your not a Manc, your a wank.

My Beautiful Laundrette (Amazon Prime rental)

What a great film this is, and what a great director Stephen Frears is too. One of this country's best ever. Could have done without the toenail scene though, god.

• Paid Members

Eurotrip is so good. So unexpectedly brilliant. 

I remember actually having a chat with my then girlfriend walking out the flicks about who was better between Stifler and Cooper. I was always Stifler and not for changing, but I saw every point she made about Cooper, and he'd made that impact in one movie to her. 

I have to watch that with the boy and me nephew on Friday. We were gonna do 'Waiting...' but I'll go Road Trip. 

Can’t think about Waiting without the image of my mates wrinkled balls popping in to my head due to the sheer amount of ball pics that was sent after we’d seen that. I’d like to think they’d say the same.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I have to watch that with the boy and me nephew on Friday. We were gonna do 'Waiting...' but I'll go Road Trip. 

I haven't seen Road Trip yet which is ridiculous considering Amy Smart is in it. I'll put it on my list.

Flight of the Intruder ( Amazon Prime)

Ridiculous action movie around the A6 Intruder planes during the last part of the Vietnam war.  Willem Dafoe, genuinely steals this as 'Cole, Virgil Cole' hamming it up to 11 and Danny Glover is pretty good as the Carrier Captain. The model work has not aged well and Sam City is cringe worthy. Stellar cast with Ving Rhames, Tom Sizemore and even David Schwimmer popping up. Rosanna Arquette as the love interest. Fred Thompson (ATC from Die Hard 2) pops up as well. Seen it a billion times and is obviously 'fantastic'

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I haven't seen Road Trip yet which is ridiculous considering Amy Smart is in it. I'll put it on my list.

Apologies boss, I didn't mean Road Trip. Meant I'll stick on Eurotrip for the little bollixes coz they haven't seen it and they're on a late 90's/early 00's teen comedy kick, at the moment. But that's actually lined up the next three flicks. Eurotrip, then Waiting, then Road Trip
Road Trip was actually really good. I think the last time I watched it was about 2004 after seeing Eurotrip in the flicks, so I'll look forward to see how that's aged, but I remember cringing at every Tom Green scene, even back when I was 20.

11 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Can’t think about Waiting without the image of my mates wrinkled balls popping in to my head due to the sheer amount of ball pics that was sent after we’d seen that. I’d like to think they’d say the same.

Genuinely did the same thing! I was caught with the 'goat' so many times, so it really wasn't as hard as the filmmakers carried on, but one time in particular stands out; I was absolutely cabbaged on a sofa at an afterparty - around 2006 - and was drifting in and out of the room, when I got an immerciful clatter across the face and came to, to what looked like fucking Squidward or some sort of deep sea fish rubbing all over my face. Wound up with an eye infection and two courses of antibiotics.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Road Trip was actually really good. I think the last time I watched it was about 2004 after seeing Eurotrip in the flicks, so I'll look forward to see how that's aged, but I remember cringing at every Tom Green scene, even back when I was 20.

Yeah, but on the other hand I love DJ Qualls in anything, and Sean William Scott is usually worth watching.

• Paid Members

Off for a couple of weeks so been catching up on my watchlist - 

Drive

Because I'm a simpleton I had never seen this until a few days ago. Having lived under a rock for nine years, finally watched it and loved it, to the point where I think it's one of my favourites. Soundtrack, lighting, the action, basically everything. Not quite what I expected in some ways from the trailer, and all the better for it. 

Bad Boys For Life

Dare I say, the best of the trilogy. Think it helped my experience having re-watched the first two to get reacquainted with them going into it. Also, they brought back parts of the original score from the first film by Mark Mancina, so it instantly trumps the second one if nothing else.

Swimming With Men

I'm a sucker for Rob Brydon so was never not going to like this, but a real charmer of a film. Definitely some Full Monty vibes, not so much in the hardship that story dealt with initially but in terms of men finding a new sense of purpose, if you will. Also I'm now in love Charlotte Riley. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Was gonna say the same thing. I think Road Trip is OK for the sort of film that was popular at the time but Green drags it down massively. None of his scenes feel necessary or like they belong to the rest of the film.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Was gonna say the same thing. I think Road Trip is OK for the sort of film that was popular at the time but Green drags it down massively. None of his scenes feel necessary or like they belong to the rest of the film.

Seann William Scott was pretty much Stifler - even down to the clothes - but he again,as he always does, stole the show from everyone around him.
Even the ending when Green starts

shoving his tongue down - I think - one of the potential students' ma's throat

actually left me walking out the flicks saying "Why end the thing like that?".

I was disgusted when a friend of mine once said "Oh this chap Tom Green, he's hilarious. You of all people will love him!".
Absolutely appalled that I was thought that little of.

Edited by Scott Malbranque