DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

At the request of the Mrs we continued our run of overlong Kevin Costner films last night and watched The Postman. This was nowhere near as fun as Waterworld and really dragged in places although I do genuinely like the concept. Are there any other dystopian westerns?

We're going for the hat-trick tonight. I'd suggested Wyatt Earp and got shot down so going with Dances With Wolves instead as neither of us have seen it.

Because we watched Waterworld on Monday so she suggested The Postman and now we're just torturing ourselves with watching 3 hour pseudo-epics that he insists on directing and starring in.

I did suggest The Untouchables. Never seen Open Range. Costner seems to get a lot of hate but he's been in some good to great films but there's something that genuinely fascinates me about his big overblown early 90s films.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members

I've watched more films in the last few days that I have in the past year. Unfortunately, it's been the choice of the kids or the missus, so I've seen My Spy (Big dave's fun, seven stars minimum), Looney Tunes: Back in action (Should have stayed inactive but I did chuckle at Brendan Fraser's character claiming he was Brendan Fraser's stunt double in The Mummy), Yesterday (I used to like the Beatles), Blended (Drew Barrymore will be pleased to know I definitely still would) and Life of the Party (Utter tosh).

• Paid Members

The original script for Yesterday actually sounds really interesting. It's the same basic premise except that even though the guy starts playing all these Beatles songs no one actually gives a shit, his musical career is an utter failure and he falls into depression. The writer's intention was to raise questions about the nature of art and how much it is effected by the times it is released in and the effect of the artists themselves on whether the public accepts it or not.

But then Richard Curtis got his hands on the script and turned it into his usual absolute wank.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

The original script for Yesterday actually sounds really interesting. It's the same basic premise except that even though the guy starts playing all these Beatles songs no one actually gives a shit, his musical career is an utter failure and he falls into depression. The writer's intention was to raise questions about the nature of art and how much it is effected by the times it is released in and the effect of the artists themselves on whether the public accepts it or not.

But then Richard Curtis got his hands on the script and turned it into his usual absolute wank.

I thought that was maybe where it was going. I think he's playing "Let it be" for his parents and their friend and they're not really listening. Then he's playing something in a pub that no-one is arsed about. Agree that seemed like an interesting premise. Getting the Beatles songbook and still not being successful would make you ask some questions of yourself.

• Paid Members

Hear My Song (Amazon Prime)

Cracking early 90s British comedy with a superb turn from Ned Beatty as a tax exile Irish tenor. Tara Fitzgerald at her absolutely most stunning, too.

The Droving (Amazon Prime)

Another crap new folk horror Kill List / The Wicker Man rip-off. Really cheap, badly acted, but not quite as shit as Kill List, so that's something at least.

Becky (nefarious means)

As mentioned in the trailer thread (and echoed by @Bellenda Carlisle), an enjoyable horror-thriller with an unexpected vicious streak and more complex characters than I was expecting. Lulu Wilson will be a huge star and I reckon they could get a really interesting sequel out of this. Same directors made Bushwick (with Big Dave) and Cooties, and they were a good laugh too.

We couldn't find a stream of Dances With Wolves so we continued our Costner binge with The Untouchables last night. Neither of us had ever seen it before and I'm really not sure why, its fantastic. Great performances all round and well paced. Connory is especially good in this. My only gripe was the score. Morricone seems to rarely get it wrong but a few times I found the music really jarring and distracting, it was almost like he was scoring a different movie. 

Followed that up with Becky. A very enjoyable home invasion thriller with violence straight out of Itchy And Scratchy. Definitely agree with @Devon Malcolm about Lulu Wilson but the real surprise for me was Kurrgan, I was genuinely interested in his character and it was nice to see him get some development and not be a generic goon. Didn't think I'd buy Kevin James as a villain either but he's great fun. Overall very enjoyable with some legitimately gross bits, in particular

Eyeball Paul Blart

30 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

We couldn't find a stream of Dances With Wolves so we continued our Costner binge with The Untouchables last night. 

That’s the equivalent of looking for a quid and finding a tenner.

• Paid Members

Morricone's score is a big part of the reason why The Untouchables is so great. It's perfectly matched. Great article about it here:-

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/06/30-years-ago-ennio-morricone-proved-he-was-untouchable/

That's a really good read. Don't get me wrong, there's points that the music is spectacular- the gun fight on the bridge, the train station/ baby carriage scene, the music at end when Capone's lawyer goes with the guilty verdict, there's this big bombastic, almost triumphant sound that really makes those scenes special.

The two main scenes that stood out where the music took me out of the moment were very early on when you follow a couple of guys in to Capone's building and the music is almost synthy, just that bit too modern sounding for the subject matter. It just didn't feel right and I caught myself paying more attention to the music than the film. The other scene was on the rooftop, again just an awkward bit of orchestration, just really took me out of the moment. I'm not entirely convinced that I was noticing things a bit more as I was trying to pay so much attention. It'll definitely get a rewatch, I'd be interested to see if I notice the same things with the score next time.

• Paid Members

I was about to come in with 'YOU LEAVE MORRICONE ALONE', but that's interesting stuff. I wonder if it was an editing point, and now want to learn more about the process.

With some of my own short films, I've started working with a guy who does soundscape stuff, and it makes such a difference. I mean, I knew it would, but it's pretty amazing having it happen while you're putting something together.