Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

31 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Thank you! And  yes, totally in favour of reputable sources only.

With ok.ru you don't even need to register/sign up if you don't want to, so even better.

27 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

The Sting's poker scene

Whenever we play a card game at home, I often hold my cards in one stack close to my chest, peering down at them the Paul Newman does, for no one's amusement but my own. 

Just now, Onyx2 said:

Whenever we play a card game at home, I often hold my cards in one stack close to my chest, peering down at them the Paul Newman does, for no one's amusement but my own. 

I will lose my mind the day that

I get four Jacks.

I always drink gin with a mark, though.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle (Google Play / YouTube rental)

A recent chat with @Scott Malbranque on here about this prompted this rewatch and it's still a fantastic, grim piece of work. A real treat watching Robert Mitchum playing such an understated and downtrodden character. One of the very best of the best decade for crime films. Mitchum would follow this with The Yakuza, which is also a magnificent crime film, albeit very different.

The Way We Were (Google Play / YouTube / Prime rental)

Pretty much exactly what you'd think it would be like. Bloody song's stuck in my head now as well. Not great.

Blood Punch (Amazon Prime)

A rare timeloop film I didn't like, mainly due to shitty and unlikeable characters and a really boring first 40 minutes. Not a complete waste of time thanks to Adelaide Kane's outfit but not far off.

Midnight Run is on Netflix. If you haven't seen it, there's no excuse now (everyone's got bloody Netflix)

James and The Giant Peach

Better than I'd remembered from when I was a kid, and the girls loved it. The animation used gives it an incredible amount of charm.

Although we then had a debate on what the best and worst fruit is which ended in a shouting match between them so...

Across 110th Street (Prime rental)

Even better on a second viewing. Less a blaxploitation film and more a neo-noir, it's as messy and gritty an east coast 70s crime film as you will get with a stunning ending. Arguably Yaphet Kotto's best performance too.

Bedrooms and Hallways (YouTube - part 1 / part 2)

Little known British romcom with a stellar UK cast (and Hugo Weaving). Quite rare for its time (1998) in its depiction of gay and bisexual relationships, it still feels pretty fresh now. Very funny too with Tom Hollander especially hilarious.

Blood Diner (Shudder)

I wouldn't have been at all surprised if this had been a Troma film because it's just as try-hard, unfunny and shit. Then again, if it had been one I wouldn't have watched it in the first place. Utter bollocks, really.

The Invisible Man - The camera work in the first half made it tense as fuck. Excellently crafted. Lost it’s way a bit in the second half but Elizabeth Moss was enough to carry it over the finish line. 

The Lavender Hill Mob is on iPlayer at the moment. I’d never seen it before so we watched it at lunchtime - it’s bloody brilliant! A bit of a masterpiece. If you’re ignorant like me and haven’t seen it before either I give it the highest recommendation.

I couldn't stand it. Probably because it's one of a raft of films recently that's actually a superhero film in disguise.

I caught Raiders of the Lost Ark yesterday for the millionth time and the tale end of Temple of Doom just now. Harrison Ford is the most charismatic actor of all time isn't he? 

I'd be tempted to go with Cruise because he's a massive dorky weirdo and manages to overcome that with his charisma but it's Ford. 

Ichi the Killer 

I've been trying to find a region free version Of this for years.. I owned it years ago on a tarten dvd.. 

Finally found a copy and it's completely uncut! Gloriously gory.. Fucked up shit from Takeshi Miike.